Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shows to go ya, old wives tales and hearsay you "learned" while growing up should not be considered gospel truth.

Thanks for posting these.
Those links came right out of the stickies at the top of the page. When I read them a few years ago it surprised me at how high apple was rated. Not sure I've cut any since then so can't say how it burns, but I can say that it's quite heavy for the size of a round.

With the OWB I almost feel bad burning quality hard woods. Almost. Same with the apple - I'd like to get the most out of it instead of just "wasting" it for heat. :yes:

I've been burning a fair bit of apple and quince this year...f'me its dense. it was all a pain to split but that could just be the particular trees. although I'd not have gone out my way for it again until i burnt some...far better than oak. I agree with Philbert's quote and Mike comments, and know all the charts differ loads, but this one https://www.wood-database.com/?s=english+oak shows apple at 0.83 specific gravity dried, and english ak at about 0.63 . Most other lists sow english oak.white oaks at more like 0.75, but still, apple is seriously dense.
I'd get it again definitely.

Also, let's realize there are many types of Apple out there. As my cousin once explained to me, they planted all different kinds cause some years one will do better than the other, and vice versa.

Also, I think they like to use a variety for cider. Then there are eating apples, pie apples, etc.

Got some of that bigger cherry out today. It was a late start for me. Needed a couple cans of gas and stopped to give the neighbor a hand. Finally got motivated a little after 2pm. Had a tough time due to the frost and angle I had to pull from.

Have 2 more nice top limbs and 1 maybe that's been touching the ground a while and 5' or so off the stump. Which will probably get chunked up on the spot. Getting too muddy in the topsoil to be pulling anything bigger like that.

not sure why but i can get a premium for apple when i have it. i had people driving 50 miles and paying $60 for one of these bins.:crazy2:
View attachment 690931
Pit BBQ guys maybe? They would probably pay double that for a regular source. Had a guy come in with a S10 size pickup always had a small load of about 24-36" Apple wood all branches I would have tossed on the brushpile. Claimed it was a 900-1200 load each time. Guess he had a few restaurant customers. Was never more than a 1/3 of the box full.

Would like to have some of that!! Maybe they need some buckthorn I seem to have no use for that!

Got it. Stock pile apple and cherry send to Steve in bulk and retire young. :cheers:

that could really help me out. Did some figuring over the weekend and if I keep going like I am and things go well, I can retire at 72 and live comfortably........for about 9 weeks !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back