Stihl ms461 shutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Lehman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question as this is very frustrating since it seems so simple...how do you get the shutter out of summer slot? Just bought the saw and it came installed in the summer slot. It’s a very tight area where it’s hard to get something small enough (and the right angle) to pry it out. I see where the winter slot for the shutter is...I just for the life of me can’t get the shutter to move up and out!! It’s maddening! My ms271 is super simple w a flat head a screw driver. Seems like a very poor design flaw...that or I’m not oookikg st it right and am an idiot. Wonderful saw. Simply fantastic!

Sorry if this is a stupid question as this is very frustrating since it seems so simple...how do you get the shutter out of summer slot? Just bought the saw and it came installed in the summer slot. It’s a very tight area where it’s hard to get something small enough (and the right angle) to pry it out. I see where the winter slot for the shutter is...I just for the life of me can’t get the shutter to move up and out!! It’s maddening! My ms271 is super simple w a flat head a screw driver. Seems like a very poor design flaw...that or I’m not oookikg st it right and am an idiot. Wonderful saw. Simply fantastic!
Try reading the owners maual?

thanks for the reminder to switch shutters form summer to winter, I often forget to change them, but haven't ever had any problems. Each Stihl saw has different shutters so it can be frustrating. some slide in and out really easy, some need more prying with a schrench or screw driver, but it can be hard to tell how hard to pry with out damaging the plastic. I'm going to switch mine out when I get home and report back.

thanks for the reminder to switch shutters form summer to winter, I often forget to change them, but haven't ever had any problems. Each Stihl saw has different shutters so it can be frustrating. some slide in and out really easy, some need more prying with a schrench or screw driver, but it can be hard to tell how hard to pry with out damaging the plastic. I'm going to switch mine out when I get home and report back.

Ok so you have a 461...so you know what I mean w the shutter. The area where you r intended to pull up is in such a tight spot! Can’t get a screwdriver at the angle to get any torque on it to get it to slide up and out. If you would, check the inside of the shutter...mine has a plastic piece that fits snug on both bottom and top of shutter slide...essentially not allowing it to slide at all. Like you said, be too rough and fear breaking plastic!

Again, I’ve read the manual. It’s not an issue of knowing where it’s located or how the shutter works...it’s how to get the pesky thing out of the slide!

Call your local Stihl dealer. 50/50 chance he or she can be of help.

So you have a 461 but tell me to go to a stihl dealer...? All I’m wanting to know is what tool do u use that allows you enough access in the tight space to be able to remove shutter to replace in winter slide...?

So you have a 461 but tell me to go to a stihl dealer...? All I’m wanting to know is what tool do u use that allows you enough access in the tight space to be able to remove shutter to replace in winter slide...?

Mine was in the open position when I bought it. I've never messed with it.

If you don't have any success figuring out how it works, let me know, and I'll dig mine out of storage and take a look. Fair enough?

So in pic one you want to push in the direction of the arrow on the orange bar/tab .
Pic 2 the puller
pic 3 puller in action. Pull up toward yerself
Of course in pic 3 yer bending that tab out so the thing will/can be pulled out,,
I have had this saw for 2 weeks.
winterfx.jpg pick.jpg done.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
Just switch mine out, took about 30 seconds.

In the pics you just have to apply pressure with your thumb to bend the bottom of the shutter enough to get the "Ridge" to slide over the plastic that holds it in place.

Let me know if that helps and thanks for the reminder to switch shutters!

Finally got it switched. Used a carb screwdriver and put just enough pressure on the shutter to push beyond the edge. It’s an expensive saw and was afraid to put the needed amount of pressure on flimsy plastic. The engineering behind the placement of the shutter wasn’t well thought out. Thanks all for your help! That was a way too hard/long process for something that should be so simple!

Now I feel like a duffus because it’s so simple. Even more sinple is to just pry the thin, orange plastic strip out past the clip on the shutter and pop it up. Bigbadbob I believe that’s what you were getting at w your pictures. Oh sometimes I shake my head at myself!! Maybe it’s the engineering in my head lol!!!

Latest posts

Back