Double trunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One trunk is leaning towards a road. It’s in my backyard and i want to cut it down for firewood

Goody, what I would really do is notch the left side and drop it across the drive and clean it up. Then drop the right side and repeat. But, coming from 50 years of reidential tree work, I know that giving begginers in AR advice from MD can be very dangerous. I know how sharp and powerful my saws are. I have lots of friends that like to show me how fast their saws will cut, and when I get there, they won't cut hot butter. If I tell you to stand on the ground and notch one side, back cut it, and step back out of the way, that's based on my equipment. If your saw is just a litle bit duller than mine, you won't be able to do that. In a couple seconds I could back cut either side of that tree to the point the hinge will snap clean off when it closes up. If your saw won't do that, and the brush hits the ground before the log jumps off the stump you may be in danger. It can twist and roll unexpectedly, it can shoot straight back at you, or it might just hang on and make it real easy to limb up, keeping everything off the ground and away from the gravel. So, that's why I'd said I'd just strap my hooks on, walk up, and top it out, easy peasy. Just remember there are a few pro's that hang out in this forum, but there are a lot more non pro's, so be careful. That tree does not look dangerous or hard to take down, so my advice from MD would be, I'd put a pull line 2/3 of the way to the top to help guide it, that can help a little if something goes a little wrong, and help keep it from jumping back on you, if you have someone on the other end keeping the rope tight as it comes over. Tag lines will help a little too, if you don't get a good notch in it. Always keep you eyes moving up. A little stick from 50 feet up can hit you in the head like an arrow. Be careful, and good luck. OH, do not just start a back cut and cut through. 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the log can split verticly, called a "Barber Chair", that can happen much faster than you can react, and can be very dangerous. Again, be careful, that's all from MD.

One trunk is leaning towards a road. It’s in my backyard and i want to cut it down for firewood

I wont lie.

I would have a person at each end of the road to stop cars....a few hundred yards down each side. Orange cone the road.

Fall it. Run out and wrap a tow strap around it. Drag it into your property.

But were i live i could get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there is enough trunk below the split to fall it 90* of the way the trunks are leaning. You can always run a heavy duty ratchet strap and hold the two together to keep them from wanting to split off as you run your back cut.

Always be wary of included bark that is weak when falling 2 trunks. I once cut a Siberian elm like that where I was trying to fall the whole tree south and the trunks split and went east and west at the same time. Luckily I started to run northwest as it was happening.

If the crotch is low enough I would recommend cutting each separate or hire a pro to fall it if you are over your skill level. Better safe than dead.

From the picture this is only an educated guess.

My first instinct would be to wrap the forks together and drop it whole. But I would give the fork a good looking over with lots of poking.
If the split is deep and the wood is rotten then I would drop each side separate. That left side looks like a heavy leaner and will be a risk of barber chair. If you don't know what that means or how to eliminate the danger of a barber chair, then don't try to cut it.

If it were a removal, I'd maybe think about removing it as one. If you're wanting it for firewood, you're going to cut it up anyways so fell the two limbs the direction they want to go if it's not to high up to be uncomfortable. Know any LEO's in the area? Contact them if you're worried about traffic on the road being an issue.

Back