"over-engineered"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe that's why I spent over $700
for alternator on my daughter's Ford Escape. They have to remove the front axle.
fefdfaef35730bf8ad10975be1feb52c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
The Escape is named appropriately. Any one that is making payments on one is desperate to escape that contract.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Ford 2.7 twin turbo has a lot more HP and a lot more torque than my Ram 360, and gets about twice the fuel mileage. So, that’s what I’m looking at getting in a couple weeks. Only thing that worries me, is how long will those turbos last?

That is the question.How long will it last while working?

Another example of GM/Cadillac's engineering prowess is the "V4 mode" engines. Let's make a V8 more efficient by shutting down 4 cylinders under light load. How do we do that? Lets kill the injectors and STARVE THE VALVE LIFTERS OF OIL so they collapse! BRILLIANT!

You save 2 MPG but you get to buy an engine right after the warranty runs out. :confused:

Another example of GM/Cadillac's engineering prowess is the "V4 mode" engines. Let's make a V8 more efficient by shutting down 4 cylinders under light load. How do we do that? Lets kill the injectors and STARVE THE VALVE LIFTERS OF OIL so they collapse! BRILLIANT!

You save 2 MPG but you get to buy an engine right after the warranty runs out. :confused:

Well said.

FCA’s multi-displacement-system is a LITTLE better but it still sucks. And if you get a programmer that had an LCD display it will show you the real truth. When it kocks down to 4 cylinders the 4 that ar still running DOUBLE THEIR FUEL PRESSURE!!

WTF?

Is that actually saving gas?

Running 4 cylinders SUPER rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the "backside" of the engine, driven off the camshaft basically. In all honesty it's almost easier to change than one mounted near the timing cover.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I can see where putting the w/p at the rear would be smart. Complete circulation would ensure you don't have the rearmost cylinders running hotter than the front like the older V8's with the front pump.

I can see where putting the w/p at the rear would be smart. Complete circulation would ensure you don't have the rearmost cylinders running hotter than the front like the older V8's with the front pump.
Except for the engines sit sideways in the car and the pump is on the front bank. I wouldn't be surprised that variable flow electric pumps don't become the norm in a decade. I'm pretty sure they're already in use on some vehicles.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

You might want to thank the EPA for providing you with air you can breathe!

Hit up this web site.
http://aqicn.org
Sure, we have clean air.... here. Check out the air quality around the rest of the world. Tell China to clean up their act - they'll laugh at you.

I'm not saying that clean air is a bad thing, but there is a balance point. Obviously too much pollution is a bad thing. The trouble is that there are environuts who want the other extreme - they want to control (there's that "C" word again) pollution to the point where humans will be back in caves eating nuts and berries.

The Ford 2.7 twin turbo has a lot more HP and a lot more torque than my Ram 360, and gets about twice the fuel mileage. So, that’s what I’m looking at getting in a couple weeks. Only thing that worries me, is how long will those turbos last?

Who makes the turbos? The Garrett on my 99 7.3 has over 300k miles on it without a problem.

We maintain a fleet of f150's for a local big pipeline/oil pump company at the shop. There are several 1st gen 3.5 EcoBoost that have over 300k with zero work done to the engine other than plugs, water pump, few various sensors, and coils. All have had leveling kits and 35 inch toyos MT's from day one. We have had these truck since 5k miles. It might be why my wife has a expedition with the 3.5

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My friend got a 3.5 and after 6 throttle bodies replaced under warranty Ford bought the truck back for what he paid for it- with 96k miles on it.

@Blue Oaks that comparison is apples to oranges, your 7.3 is one a diesel, totally different exhaust temps, and two the 7.3 is a fixed geometry turbo, the 2.7 are variable geometry, also your 7.3 does not have EGR which the 2.7 does, that will lead to way faster turbo failure. Your 7.3 if you've juiced it up might hit 1200F exhaust temps, that 2.7 will be seeing 2000 F or better, and to top that off the second stage turbo will be spinning way faster than your single would ever see.

sorry, @Blue Oaks sure wasn't trying to knock you, 25 years is true as far as the 7.3 but the turbo goes back way further than that, probably 40's but not sure, the variable geometry **** is maybe ten years old and still really dont work right. My opinion sometimes ole reliable is better than new untested, dont get me wrong though, I experiment and push things, im into tractor pulling so you know push to the breaking point and back off one blond hair, but too much fancy stuff sometimes is more trouble than good just to knock off a little NOx or particulate emmision

Back