McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between the SP and the PM, I don’t know. Hearsay, between the SPs other than bore and stroke nothing except a running debate that the DSP is in a slightly different location. Ron

I've got a question for everyone to ponder whilst visions of sugar plums are dancing in your heads.What's the difference between the 7-10 & the PM700?They;re both 70 cc saws.

The 7-10 is older no operator safety short clutch cover points ignition and from what most say more aggressive porting. My 7 -10 is tired and down on compression to my 700 but still seems to cut as well or better. The 7-10 slowly unrolls the starter but the 700 hangs for a long time. It still runs very very well but tired.

I do wonder if the points ignition has anything to do with the power. More advance perhaps but I really have no idea

Yeah,I thought the same thing.I knew the 7=10 came first & was the older saw & had points vs.the 700 being the younger model & having A chain brake & electronic ignition.But we've got two Mac 70 cc saws.The PM 700 was also anti- vibe whereas the 7-10 wasn't.Today's generation is a bunch of wusses,they want automatic oiling,anti-vibe,& a chain brake.Go out & cut for 6-8 hrs.with an old school saw like us old timers did back in the day,or even better yet,use a cross cut saw.Lol
Ed

Yea the pm700 is riged too it's the cp and sp70s are anti vibe. Late 7-10s also had a chain brake theres other wee tid bits too like piston shape thick and thin rings on early and late. The 7-10 feels rather light compared to the 700.

I get the wuss thing I've spent a fair few hours on my 700 with milk line handle and I find it fine a dandy. I put my mate on it with a crappy ms311 and he was winging after 5 cuts Haha my hands are tingling... it's so heavy too so I gladly took it back and enjoyed it and let him use my poulan 4000

As Jethro said, the CP70 and SP70 were AV. The PM700 is rigid like the 7-10. I’ll take the AV, Auto oiler and DSP over whatever personal characterization. If it has a chain brake fine, if it’s big and doesn’t, fine as well.

Ron

I've got a MS310 which is basically the same saw as the MS311,only earlier.I put a 25 in.bar on it & it handles it just fine.I was told,or rather read,that I shouldn't put more than a 20 in.bar on it.The only reason I put the 25 in.on it was because of two things,1)my son took on a job of taking down our neighbor's tree that my 18 in.bar was just not big enough for,2)I bought a Homelite 450 that had a Stihl bar & chain on it that wasn't right for the saw,the oil hole didn't line up.So I put it to good use.Lol The MS 310 is a good saw,but it don't have the torque that the old Macs have/had.Rarely do any of my Macs get stuck in a cut because the chain is just too sharp.I'll take a saw that has a little vibration any day over a newer modern saw that has anti-vibe & not as much torque.
I'll pass this along from the mouth of my local saw shop.Poulans are to be made no more,reason being they didn't hold up because they were made too cheaply.Also the "McCullochs"that were being made by Husqvarna (same as Poulan) are no longer going to be made anymore.No loss there because they weren't really Macs anyway,just used the name.
Ed

What I was trying to express here with my remarks about people being a wuss was that the younger generation now (milleniums) don't even want to pick up a saw unless it has all those added features like AV,automatic oiler,& chain brake.Hell,I like those features too,but I have no qualms about using a saw with only a manual oiler.Actually,when I'm using a saw I'm always looking for the manual oiler button,or my finger or thumb is.Personally,I think if a guy is careful when he's cutting & not doing stupid stuff,a chain brake isn't really necessary.I know in a lot of places it's illegal for a saw shop to even work on a saw without a brake on it if that saw had a brake on it originally.I've cut wood for over 45 yrs.some saws had brakes on them,others didn't.Back in the early '70's most saws didn't have chain brakes on them,I think it might've been optional.
Ed

You have earned your av Ron how many cords have you cut with that 700?

Don’t really know, but far less than the 800. Though I will have had the 700 for 37 years come next month, I just cut storm clean ups and maybe 5 years of personal firewood. The last 8 years I have cut for the ministry and for personal supplemental heat. I have not used the 700 at all in that time. Maybe when Brian has time to rebuild the carb and tune it and I get some of those gel gloves, we will put it to work again. I think it is one of the best looking models made by MAC.

Ron

Ed, I get your point. Brian and I cut most of that big stuff we post because the younger guys with their 661s and 460s think it is too big for them. They don’t seem to know that both of those models have more hp than our old 800s.

Ron

I've got a MS310 which is basically the same saw as the MS311,only earlier.I put a 25 in.bar on it & it handles it just fine.I was told,or rather read,that I shouldn't put more than a 20 in.bar on it.The only reason I put the 25 in.on it was because of two things,1)my son took on a job of taking down our neighbor's tree that my 18 in.bar was just not big enough for,2)I bought a Homelite 450 that had a Stihl bar & chain on it that wasn't right for the saw,the oil hole didn't line up.So I put it to good use.Lol The MS 310 is a good saw,but it don't have the torque that the old Macs have/had.Rarely do any of my Macs get stuck in a cut because the chain is just too sharp.I'll take a saw that has a little vibration any day over a newer modern saw that has anti-vibe & not as much torque.
I'll pass this along from the mouth of my local saw shop.Poulans are to be made no more,reason being they didn't hold up because they were made too cheaply.Also the "McCullochs"that were being made by Husqvarna (same as Poulan) are no longer going to be made anymore.No loss there because they weren't really Macs anyway,just used the name.
Ed

Those 59cc stihl saws aren't too bad to be fair would I pay the money they ask for 1 hell no but John Smith 51 on tweedy lane with spare coin who needs a bigger homeowner saw there perfect. Same goes for my mate he has no passion or interest it's just a tool to cut up wood for winter it never gets cleaned or tuned or anything just gas oil and go and when it won't it goes to the shop. He payed the money cos it's a STIHL! He says to me Haha look at all your saws I only need one stihl...

Don’t really know, but far less than the 800. Though I will have had the 700 for 37 years come next month, I just cut storm clean ups and maybe 5 years of personal firewood. The last 8 years I have cut for the ministry and for personal supplemental heat. I have not used the 700 at all in that time. Maybe when Brian has time to rebuild the carb and tune it and I get some of those gel gloves, we will put it to work again. I think it is one of the best looking models made by MAC.

Ron

Well you still have cut a fair bit with it then I hope you get some gloves that work they are a nice saw. I like all 10 series saws but the non av saws are fine lookers indeed. I read someone say the starter looks like a tumer on the side lol the starter is part of the beauty to me.

I dont no bout those guys Ron good on them for getting into it with ya's but there leaving the cream for you and Brian and a 460 should deal with most of that wood but dont let them know though haha. The bigger the better especially when you guys have nice long bars on 800s and 125s.

Does anyone know if at any point was there ever a 100ish cc 10 series on the books before mac died?

Will the chain brake off of a pm700 work on my pm800? I have a 700 parts saw with a brake and there is no brake on my 800. Wondering if I can swap it to the 800. Looks to like it would fit. Will the full wrap on the 800 be in the way?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I have no idea what the cost of a new Stihl is nowadays.I bought my MS 310 back in 2006 & paid right around $350 for it.I shudder to think what the MS 311 costs now,probably about double I'd think
Ed

I have no idea what the cost of a new Stihl is nowadays.I bought my MS 310 back in 2006 & paid right around $350 for it.I shudder to think what the MS 311 costs now,probably about double I'd think
Ed

I’m gonna guess $450-550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will the chain brake off of a pm700 work on my pm800? I have a 700 parts saw with a brake and there is no brake on my 800. Wondering if I can swap it to the 800. Looks to like it would fit. Will the full wrap on the 800 be in the way?

Will work fine. Brian’s 800 has a 700/850 cover. If your 800 has a DSP valve, it may get a little tight. I have seen some where folks make a notch. Might not be necessary so fit it up first.

Ron

Will work fine. Brian’s 800 has a 700/850 cover. If your 800 has a DSP valve, it may get a little tight. I have seen some where folks make a notch. Might not be necessary so fit it up first.

Ron
Thanks Ron. Looks like I have a project for this afternoon. Lol

To answer your question Jethro if there was ever a 100ish cc saw that Mac ever made or had on the books in the 10 series,the answer is no.The biggest in the 10 series was the 6-10 & 7-10,both of them at 70.5 cc.If there was a bigger one drawn up on paper,but never put into production,that I couldn't tell ya.I did notice though that the 10 series went from the 1-10 to the 7-10,then it skipped the 8-10 & 9-10,& went to the 10-10.In theory Mac MIGHT'VE had plans for an 8-10 & 9-10,but this is only conjecture on my part.All of the saws in the 10 series were mostly 54 or 57cc,with the exception of the 6-10 & 7-10,which as stated previously were 70.5 cc.The only way to get a definitive answer on this would be to find an old timer (if there any left that are still alive) who worked at Mac as an engineer.
Ed

Back