I'm looking for a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief I just got to the part of the thread where you said you’re doing 80+ cords a year. I’d already have that woodmizer and two conveyors for either side a LONG time ago if I were you. You’ll have your investment paid for half way through the season...

Not to mention it would take you 1 40 hour work week to produce that 80 cords with a Timberwolf vs 6 40 hour weeks with your current splitter...

I really like the Tempast when I first saw it. They also say not to run knots through the box blade. It would fit me perfect because I leave pretty much all big knots in the woods for bug habitat.

I really like the Tempast when I first saw it. They also say not to run knots through the box blade. It would fit me perfect because I leave pretty much all big knots in the woods for bug habitat.

Yeah I called them and asked them about that when I was shopping around. The guy said that is the legal answer but it will handle knots and smaller crotches within reason. They apparently had some issue with warranty claims with what he described as people basically trying to run wood through it sideways...

I rented a tw-6 log splitter by Timberwolf and was very impressed. It’s about double what you’re looking to spend but it is extremely fast. And well worth the money. Like 2 guys with a conveyor minimum to keep it working at full capacity.
http://www.timberwolfequip.com/tw-6-log-splitter/

Then my next step is going to be this one right here. Used to be made by tempest but woodmizer bought them out I guess. I think this design is brilliant! But it’s high. Like $13k high

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Log-Splitters/FS500-Log-Splitter
I recently purchased a used tw6 and I am very happy with the speed, production, and power. Wish I had done it sooner.

A guy stopped in for some firewood and while talking with him, he mentioned that he was looking for a used spliter. I just happen to have a used splitter that I may let go, now that I have a new unit. I let him look it over and I started it up and cycled it a few times to show it works.
I didn't say anything to him, but man is my old splitter SLOW. After using my new splitter with 9.5 sec cycle times, my old one is ridiculously slow.
It's so slow I don't think I'll ever go back to using it. I think I'll just sell it and put that money on the new one.
I was at Lowes the other day and they had some DHT splitters out front. I looked at the DHT 35 ton unit and it looked like an entry level splitter compared to the Countyline 40 unit.
If you get a chance to see them side by side, you can clearly see the difference.
If your in the market for a conventional splitter. You owe it to yourself to look at the Countyline 40 ton unit. I'm not disappointed with it at all.

9.5sec is S-L-O-W!

Mine has a 4.5 sec cycle and I find that borderline slow.

I rented a tw-6 log splitter by Timberwolf and was very impressed. It’s about double what you’re looking to spend but it is extremely fast. And well worth the money. Like 2 guys with a conveyor minimum to keep it working at full capacity.

Then my next step is going to be this one right here. Used to be made by tempest but woodmizer bought them out I guess. I think this design is brilliant! But it’s high. Like $13k high

13.5k for a wood splitter. Maybe if it had a conveyor and was 1/2 the price.

That woodmizer is legit. Wonder how it would hold up to a dunderhead operator splitting elm crotches?

Well it's been a full year since I bought the Countyline 40 ton splitter from TS.
Man I really like this splitter. It has worked flawlessly and has split everything I could ever ask it to. The faster cycle times are great though I do run it at a lower RMP that does slow the cycle time a little bit, but it still splits great at a low RPM.
I have put 250 hours of run time according to the hour meter I put on it the day I bought it.
Here is a little pile of live oak I split the other day. I'm not sure exactly how many cords I have split with it but I have filled a 30 cord rack twice and another rack that holds 40 cords.
I like it so much, I may buy a seconed one for back up and to have two splitting areas.

9ticqo.jpg

Wow, you have used that probably more than the average user would use it in a lifetime.

Considering how much wood you split, might it be more efficient and productive to search for a suitable firewood processor?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Wow, you have used that probably more than the average user would use it in a lifetime.

Considering how much wood you split, might it be more efficient and productive to search for a suitable firewood processor?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I am considering going with a Eastonmade production splitter to increase production on bulk firewood.

You guys got a dig into your pockets and get a Timberwolf about 7000 $8000 it’s the only way to get it done

Which model would that be? I know back in 2010ish the TW5's with options included was in the $7,500-$8,000 range. Now 8-9 years later I would venture to guess its closer to $9,000 with a TW6 likely being $10,000-$11,000.

I think you'd get more for your money by going with the Eastonmade.

Or you could get a Supersplit SE and save 4-5 grand
:eek:

You guys got a dig into your pockets and get a Timberwolf about 7000 $8000 it’s the only way to get it done

I'm not a big fan of the timberwolf line of splitters. I don't like any of the slip on 4 way designs timberwolf uses. I like esatonmade better because the wedges are specifically designed multi wedge systems that look like they will hold up. Every slip on wedge design splitter seems to be limited and many have broken there splitter trying to use a wedge design that is clearly under designed for the task.

I agree, though i read timberwolf in that sentence like band-aid or Scotch tape, in that timberwolf is one of several brands that make a similar product; there's pros and cons to each, but that TYPE of splitter is what is being recommended.

Personally I can't imagine running a gas powered wedge-on-ram style splitter for 250 hours a year, but everyone's different. For me, that kind of production would absolutely mandate a wedge-on-beam with a 4-way. I run a Wolfe ridge, which I'm very happy with. It'll do a cord an hour no problem, depending on what I'm working with and how small I'm splitting stuff. I don't have a log lift or a hydraulic wedge adjustment, but I've got less into my splitter AND tractor than a tw-6 costs. Probably in the tw-5 range, and mine has a 36" ram with an auto cycle valve, a 24" splitter with a regular valve would have been even cheaper. I'm a tractor guy, so going with a 3-point made sense to me, but everyone's got different needs.

rps20181226_153751_863.jpg

Latest posts

Back