What is the little door under the carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funonahonda

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 011 avt and it isn’t starting so I took off the carb and cleaned it and noticed a chrome like springy door under the carb over the cylinder, what is that and how does it work, thanks a lot.

Ok thanks for the input, my saw isn’t starting and it has spark and I put fuel in the spark plug hole and it still doesn’t start just looking for potential problems.

Try another plug first. Sometimes they will spark with no compression pressure but wont spark when screwed into the cylinder. If it still wont fire with fuel tipped in the plug hole i would pull the flywheel off next to check if it has sheared the flywheel key, which will make it spark at the wrong time. While you have the plug out you could shine a torch in the plug hole to see if the bore looks scored.

I've had issues w/ 011's before. the flange that is what your reed valve is attached to can develop a leak around the gasket. There are 2 gaskets, a larger one on the bottom that mates the flange to the case and one on top for the carb. If they look okay, soak them in a bit of gas and that should help them to seal. Also, how do your fuel lines look?

The fuel line looks good,I sprayed some carb cleaner through it and the vent line looks ok and the filter in the vent line I don’t think is stopped up I sprayed some air through it but didn’t want to blow to much pressure through it scared that it would blow the little filter out the end. My next step is to spray some mix gas onto the reed valve and push on it and kinda clean it off with my finger. Thanks to all for your input.

I'd suggest actually pressurizing the fuel line, if it's really supple it might be safe to assume it's okay but a small leak in it could cause hard starting. Have you ever tried to drink milk through a straw with a crack in it? Same idea.
Also you can take that reed valve/flange off, it's just screwed down with I believe a couple flat head screws. There you can inspect it make sure it's springing closed and not sticking.

1d90f1fe1b76aebdf04021fd153e8dea.jpg

Ketchup bottle. Poor mans pressure/vacuum tester, aux fuel tank, dribble feed fuel, suck fuel up to the carb etc..

Latest posts

Back