MS461 hard to pull rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is you ended up with an air leak after the tree fell on it, you continued to use it and fried the piston and cylinder. I would pull off that cylinder and take a good look before you try and run it again, you might be able to salvage it. That intake side does not look good at all and the exhaust side probably looks worse

It is a reed valve engine. So, it should have a little resistance, when piston is going down, compressing the air/fuel mix, in the crankcase, before the intake port is exposed, allowing the fresh charge to transfer to the top of the piston.
N

Exhaust looks great, something is up with that intake side though. 4 bolts and the cylinder is off, just pull it. Clean that pig up first though

It is a reed valve engine. So, it should have a little resistance, when piston is going down, compressing the air/fuel mix, in the crankcase, before the intake port is exposed, allowing the fresh charge to transfer to the top of the piston.
N
It's not a reed valve engine. It's piston ported. Just a standard front fed quad port stihl. I don't think you could feel 1 or 2 psi of case compression while turning the flywheel over

It's not a reed valve engine. It's piston ported. Just a standard front fed quad port stihl. I don't think you could feel 1 or 2 psi of case compression while turning the flywheel over
Well.....
I stand corrected!
I'm an old 049 cox engine fiend!

Back