Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oil in are splitter in the 15 years I've known my wife. Still looks good. So the price up front seems high but it last a long time.

oil doesn't go bad, it only gets dirty or maybe contaminated. if its not too dirty, etc. it's still good to go.

Got my 30T County Line "Fast Model"at TSC fully assembled with hyd/eng oil and the mngr gave me an extra quart of engine oil for the break in oil change. He even hooked it to my truck for me. $1,300ish OTD.

sounds like u made a good deal! umm, maybe u can talk them into helping with all the splitting?! lol. or at least, the cutting... :laughing:

:drinkingcoffee:

CD1AB4D4-48B0-4399-A6A8-12274FA833A7.jpeg You can buy them assembled here as well. This was an online order Black Friday deal. Truck ship, store pickup. I got home from family Christmas last night and went right to the garage. It was going good until I put on wheel #2 and the castle nut was a bit buggered. Instead of walking away, I forced it a bit and made matters worse. Lol. Live and never learn. This morning I went to the shop and borrowed a die and fixed the thread, got a new nut and everything else went together perfectly. Got oil on sale plus I had a gift card left from my birthday so it took the sting out of the price. Engine started on the first pull. Split a couple pieces and I’m really excited for spring!

Looks good Jeff. It's raining out here now so you better get a quick run on the sled. I got 2 more loads cut down and hauled home. Sounds like it's going to be wet for awhile again at least I have a bunch and can cut into rounds if I get bored. The ash are all breaking up as they fall, only a couple of branches on them left to trim. It's not a good sign for the future. A bunch were punky in the bottom too. Somewhere around 130 to 150 logs 13' 4" long in two days, well two part days I'm on holidays so late start and early finish. 20181227_154750.jpg 20181227_142423.jpg

We are close enough to the American border that cross border shopping is popular when the dollar is good. Couple years ago when the dollar was equal, it was awesome for us Canucks. Pretty tough to beat the buying power of the American dollar. So Canadian retailers started Black Friday sales to compete with American stores. Not as much of an issue now as the Canuck buck is worth roughly 75 cents U.S. but the Black Friday tradition is here.

View attachment 692899 You can buy them assembled here as well. This was an online order Black Friday deal. Truck ship, store pickup. I got home from family Christmas last night and went right to the garage. It was going good until I put on wheel #2 and the castle nut was a bit buggered. Instead of walking away, I forced it a bit and made matters worse. Lol. Live and never learn. This morning I went to the shop and borrowed a die and fixed the thread, got a new nut and everything else went together perfectly. Got oil on sale plus I had a gift card left from my birthday so it took the sting out of the price. Engine started on the first pull. Split a couple pieces and I’m really excited for spring!

nice foto there, new splitter and all that snow. sunny day! :) my OM for my splitter said to cycle the splitting ram 10 times in warm weather to warm up the oils and seals. more if cold out. in cool weather I cycle it 20 times. I also do it with my tractors, too. bucket, etc. that will warm it up. in warm weather 10 times and she's pretty well warmed up. gets hot, warm or cold once splitting. 35 years old. still splits just like new. and my engine, always starts first click! if not, then by 2nd... and I make it a personal crusade to always keep all metal moving parts, slides well lubed with both gear oil and anti seize... depending on just what the part is and how dry the running metal. has served me well, that procedure. I never let the I-beam, the C to the wedge of the wedge's craddle ever get dry. in fact, I will also lube the wedge's edge and the chunk's split, too with oil if a hard split. makes a big dif. what wouldn't split, then splits with ease. after all theese yrs, i can tell by engine sound if the split is going to stall... so i just back up, lube up and try again... and presto! split in two! :) and running the wedge back n forth dry as in first warming up vs lubed the fwd speed is improved... and splits easier, too. I don't see too many splitters well taken care of, but I have seen quite a few rusty, oily, and worn slider beams...

have fun. send some pix of that first cord or two... :yes:

My splitter motor gets about 30 seconds of warm up, then the hydraulics get warmed up with wood in the jaws! With that cutter in front of the wedge, it may slow but it never stops! If it is wood, it goes through it! (only a 22 Ton). 4 years old now, does about 20 cord/year. Replaced a return hose this year and added some fluid.

Wife put her foot down today and said it was too wet and muddy to go to the bush, told me I had to work in the house so I did. My shop is attached to the house. Put the front chains on, attached another cross link between each one on the rears. Also added a set of teeth to the grapple to pull from the small end of trees. She was pretty impressed. She walked in the door and said " holy, you actually vacuumed the floor", silly woman left the central vac hose out in the hallway. I actually just disconnected it and moved it away because I almost tripped over it getting a glass of water. And now my grandson is showing me the drums he found hidden in the play room. 20181228_142055.jpg 20181228_142040.jpg 20181228_142024.jpg 20181228_142017.jpg 20181228_183048.jpg

Back