ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlguy

10 yo grandson using 024 Super
Reaction score
After 42 yrs of burning wood, I just discovered that ash from near the river is much more dense(heavy) than ash from in the woods. I mentioned it to my sil and he agreed.

I can't refute that.

Trees here along the river get MUCH larger than up on the mountain.....more fertile soil, more moisture equates to bigger denser trees.

It's not so much the size, but the wood reminds me of oak it is so dense.

River ash instead of green or white ash maybe? Around here you can tell the difference between a tree grown in fertile ground and one grown in gravely soil.

possibly black Ash also sometimes called swamp ash , water ash , river ash or basket ash.

however it could also just be a higher water content . weigh a piece now write the weight on it and check again next fall after storing in a dry place.

The Ash from the woods, you can start burning it right after you take it in home and split it.
The one next to the river or any water have to wait til next year. To much water, need to get dry.

We where so surprised that the swamp poplar was at least as heavy as oak, we made a 10" cube which was 11,2 kilo fresh and after two years inside it weights 4 kilo.
More than 60% water.
But I also agree that different types of the same tree family look the same but also can have completely different wood types.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm cutting mostly ash here due to the borer. Every once in awhile I will start my notch and water will literally run out of the cut. I can tell that the log is saturated with water when I pick them up with my tractor. I used to process them the same as the other trees but they never dry out so I've been just setting them aside and using them in my firepit. The center is usually darker too. Part of the bush is gravelly and the logs are much lighter there than the wet sections. The fields aren't very frozen yet so I've been cutting in the drier section so the loads out are lighter.

possibly black Ash also sometimes called swamp ash , water ash , river ash or basket ash.

however it could also just be a higher water content . weigh a piece now write the weight on it and check again next fall after storing in a dry place.

What I was thinking. Did a lot of cutting in the U.P. over the years and only found black ash in lower, wetter areas, with white ash on higher ground. I also noticed black ash has a narrower sapwood vs white ash.

This is ash that has been in the woodshed since last fall.

My dad would always swear that the ash next to the creek dulled his chain faster than the ash in the groves and tree lines. He thought it had something to do with the tree sucking up some of the silt in the muddy water. Not sure if I agree but that's what he says.

It's not so much the size, but the wood reminds me of oak it is so dense.
I've taken over 100 full cord of dead ash from the woods over 7 years. There was, one standing in the creek near my landing / splitting area that I was always going to take when the time was right. The time was right a couple weeks ago. It had the tightest rings of any of the ash I had taken to date. It was indeed oak like density. This tree had been dead standing, not so much as a sucker, for at least 5 years, and as dry as anything I've cut from a standing tree

Marine5068, I've been leaving the big ash hoping that they would survive better and also figuring that when they start to really go that the big ones will be quicker to cut and add up to more firewood faster than small trees. These trees were fine a month ago at deer season. I cut down 4 today and they were punky on the bottom, the top branches all broke off at about 6" diameter. I think it's time to get as many down as I can.

Attachments

• 20181225_112626.jpg
    20181225_112626.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 20181225_110542.jpg
    20181225_110542.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20181225_110510.jpg
    20181225_110510.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
Sad every ash tree is dead on my place I don't like to burn ash much but I am going to cut some big ones tomorrow going to try and use as much up as I can in the outdoor furnace our kids will never see a big one again I think this is the end for them ,

Sad every ash tree is dead on my place I don't like to burn ash much but I am going to cut some big ones tomorrow going to try and use as much up as I can in the outdoor furnace our kids will never see a big one again I think this is the end for them ,

Mine are all dieing too but y dont you like to burn ash? It splits nice and burns great.

I have a good amount of ash trees 2 feet in diameter at the bottom and they are all dieing. They took so long to grow and in the last 2 years have gone down hill.

I probably have at least 50 some three feet the wood peckers have took the bark off it looks crazy have anyone ever tried milling some I have a chain saw mill but I don't know what I would do with the boards will it stand up to weather like oak ? It burns up so fast that is why they named it ash because it makes tons of ashes but I better get used to it because I have a ton to use.

Back