Need saw for my hunting truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWDIII

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
League City, TX/East Texas, Rayburn Country
One would think a guy with 4 saws would keep one around. I jumped the same downed pine tree not once, but twice driving to my area to hunt. Once yesterday and once today. The last time it looked like a spike strip.

14 of us have 5300 acres leased for deer and hog hunting in East Texas from a Timber Company. We have plenty of pine trees in East Texas thats for sure, and some end up across the road. Bad weather downs trees all the time.

I need to get a small saw and leave it in my hunting truck, which is two door 97 Tahoe which does not have much room but it sure gets around good in the mud.

The smallest saw I have it 16 inch, I was thinking about getting a smaller saw, preferably a cheap saw. I googled a 14 inch Poulan refurbished for 54 bucks and I think it had free shipping. With that said, I might be getting what I pay for. I have no idea what I would get for 54 bucks but it had factory warranty as I recall. Or I could go the Stihl route, with all the timber land in East TX, we have a Stihl dealer on every corner. I am sure there are other options. Seems like I had a Mini Mac back in the day and it had a 12 inch bar and would carry the mail for its size.

My wife would tell me I am looking for a reason to buy another saw, but I could use a saw to keep on my tractor too.

Comments please, Thanks, Billy

I would get one of the 3

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't think of anything that could compete with fifty four bucks for a saw.

But I think you're on the right track with the thoughts on the mini-mac.
Nothing more compact than a top handle saw.

I'd probably buy a used one. But not as old as a mini-mac. Something above 30cc. Something that doesn't leak.

I did see a rear handle saw recently that I'd consider for a deer lease truck saw. A beat up old cheap Echo 3450 that started on the third pull after sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.
I think it was fifty-five bucks. I'd have bought it if I didn't already have 11 saws....or if they'd taken my $40 offer.

I have a 16 inch homelite but it leaks bar oil real bad, I need to fix it but can’t seem to find time.

I bought a 490 echo the other day which I like better than my 291 stihl but didn’t really want to spend pro or near pro saw money for a truck saw.

I’m not familer with the 14 inch Stihls, I need to look at the website.

Stihl top handle.
192t or 201t.
You could get the 192 for $180ish, 201 $250ish. I got both for that, good runners. Didn’t have to do anything to them.

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
3 saw plan:
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460
+
Echo 600p
Stihl ms211

Echo cs352 gets my vote. I always keep it in my truck during winter. It's in a stihl chainsaw case in the backseat of my truck. I keep (in the case) a hatchet, some wedges, file kit, safety gear, grease for the bar tip and spare chains. Been doing that for ~3 years. Haven't had any trouble with leakage or gas smell. I just keep the bar oil and gas can in the bed. I have a 16" bar on mine but it would definitely cut better with a 14". Grab one at Home Depot then pull the limiters and richen it up and enjoy. Mine will start on the third pull every time. Two with choke on and then one with choke off. I got mine as a Christmas gift years back but IIRC they are relatively cheap.

They start better, cut better, oil better, last way longer and most importantly hold a tune, the new poulans wont hold a tune after a year or so, they run good one day and not the next. I put up with a cheap poulan for way too long before upgrading to a cheap Chinese saw lol.

Well I would probably use what you have, if you want a 14" bar on your current saw put one on.
If I am in the woods I always have a saw in my rig, but I also have an axe.
And while I hate to admit I have had to use the axe to free the saw.
I have a dozen or so huskys but the saw in the jeep or truck the most is a cheap poulan pro.
Its saw three on warranty replacement. If it gets stolen it wouldn't bother me.

Back