To Those with an Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may not have a horse in the race as all my saws are stored in heated building but properly tuned should start easy compared to a saw tuned to lean.

I've never had an issue with adjustment screws moving after limiters pulled.

My 490 fires in 5 after sitting awhile.

I bought a new CS-490 today. The first time I tried to start it, I hit it 5 or 6 times and it didn't start. I was like this sucks. I get the manual out to make sure there isn't a trick. Also put my glasses on to make sure I could read the kill switch, sucks getting old.

I picked it back, up and burped the next pull and started on the second. Probably took a while get get fuel through the carb.

After that it started first pull hot. Best I could tell mine is tuned pretty good. I will get it out tomorrow when get back from Hunting in the morning and see how easy it starts.

I bought a Stihl blower couple of years back that it took several times to get the carb tuned. I got so frustrated I wanted to throw it away. It starts on first pull most of the time once I got it dialed in.

I have a refurbished Homelite which I think only cost 49 dollars that's 8 going on 9 years that should have fallen apart years back. Its had a hard life and it starts easy.

Life is two short to have a saw thats hard to start.

I bought a new CS-490 today. The first time I tried to start it, I hit it 5 or 6 times and it didn't start. I was like this sucks. I get the manual out to make sure there isn't a trick. Also put my glasses on to make sure I could read the kill switch, sucks getting old.

I picked it back, up and burped the next pull and started on the second. Probably took a while get get fuel through the carb.

After that it started first pull hot. Best I could tell mine is tuned pretty good. I will get it out tomorrow when get back from Hunting in the morning and see how easy it starts.

I bought a Stihl blower couple of years back that it took several times to get the carb tuned. I got so frustrated I wanted to throw it away. It starts on first pull most of the time once I got it dialed in.

I have a refurbished Homelite which I think only cost 49 dollars that's 8 going on 9 years that should have fallen apart years back. Its had a hard life and it starts easy.

Life is two short to have a saw thats hard to start.

Anytime the carb is dry,it will take several attempts to get it to start. Of course if you have a purge pump,like the 400, it’s not an issue as it pulls fuel into the carb.

I was at the local Echo dealer to buy some bar oil the other day. The mechanic asked if I needed any help while I was browsing pole pruners. I got talking to him about the tune on my 490. He told me to go get it. I brought it to him and he tuned the carb for me under warranty. Starts much easier cold now and overall from idle to wide open runs better as specially throttle reponse. He said the carb tune was way out of adjustment.

I was at the local Echo dealer to buy some bar oil the other day. The mechanic asked if I needed any help while I was browsing pole pruners. I got talking to him about the tune on my 490. He told me to go get it. I brought it to him and he tuned the carb for me under warranty. Starts much easier cold now and overall from idle to wide open runs better as specially throttle reponse. He said the carb tune was way out of adjustment.
You got a good dealer! Echos are known to be set lean from the factory thanks to EPA regs. I pull the limiter caps and re-tune all of them. Really a bad deal that all this equipment is so choked up and restricted (all brands.) They run hotter with restricted mufflers and lean equipment will crap out real quick. When tuned right, I love my Echo equipment. Starts in 3 or 4 pulls everytime!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I need to learn the best way to remove the limiter caps. I read something about using a drywall screw, but would think it would cause the screws to move and loose point of reference for lack of better terms. One YouTube video showed a guy using forceps but it took him a while.

Hello I'm New Here
I had an Echo CS-490 that was stolen and I really liked it. I bought another one my 1st one started cold 2nd pull burp every time. My new one takes 7 or 8 pulls to burp cold.
How many pulls cold to start your Echo CS-490
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Sometimes the metering lever is too low. I had this with an Echo 306, raised the lever and all is well. Not to say that the H&L don't also need adjustment.

I need to learn the best way to remove the limiter caps. I read something about using a drywall screw, but would think it would cause the screws to move and loose point of reference for lack of better terms. One YouTube video showed a guy using forceps but it took him a while.
A drywall screw will work and not mess up the settings. All you need to do is get it threaded into the plastic cap then go counter-clockwise to line up the slots to remove them. You can buy a tool for it. I think Dahmer has the best idea with the screw extractor. I know I'll be getting one!

Thanks! Much appreciated. It's due for a good cleaning so maybe I'll put her on the bench and pull the tube while I'm at it. I sure wish they still made the 520. I'd have several.

Back