Advice/ideas sharpening chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen many different grinders used. By many different operators. Including myself. Yes there nice for batches of chains. Yes angles can be more precise than free hand or file guides. But the art of hand filed edge's I personally feel is still better. And I enjoy time at the bench pushing a file. Free hand or file guide. Both have advantages and disadvantages. All of one's opinion.
I personally started this thread to ask a question. "Ideas for improvement to my chain holder" the retired ms290. Iv found my solution. Bench mounted bar clamp filing guide.

You just need to find and use the method that works best for you. Conditions vary.

I've ground chains for years, and file them as well using various guides. Most of what I cut is on a tree service lot supporting a heating assistance program, and the lot is covered with crushed asphalt. We work on Saturday mornings until noon. The logs often have grit or steel embedded in the bark. I'll touch up a chain when I stop to gas up the saw, but if the damage is significant, I put on a fresh chain and keep moving. Some guys stop cutting because they don't have a backup chain handy and ready to go. I sometimes end up with 3 chains that need to be ground. It would take hours to file the damage away.

Contrast this with cutting in the woods to help my BIL clear blowdowns. I sometimes cut all morning with him and might touch up a chain with a file once in that time. It's great.

My opinion is there's no one perfect solution. There are times when a good dialed-in chain grinder is a great thing to have. And not needing to use one is even better.

I don't care how anyone sharpens there chain . Use a axe for all I care . Joseph Buford Cox invented the modern saw chain with 3 grade education . My guess anyone who can not sharpen a chain must be a infant .

The one nice thing about being 3 year grad of elementary school is he a mystery . He watch a beatle eating wood . Made a few million . Put Mccullochd out .

Latest posts

Back