splitting big rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virginiairon,
I actually don't use that splitter much anymore. I built a 36" one with a 4 way hydraulic adjust wedge. I do have a few friends that use it and they all want to buy it but I'm keeping it around. As you can see I extended the beam enough to add the wedge. Being a sharp wedge it slices the rounds more than splitting so not too worried about it busting off. I just bolted on the push plate onto the factory wedge just in case I ever want to change it back to use vertical but I doubt that will happen. I also added longer bars on for the splitting table and widen it after this picture was taken. I think Speeco and the others should offer a splitter like this for the guys who never go vertical.

MVC-003S_3.JPG

I split most everything where it lays. I just back down the log length and hook them with the log tongs. Winch will spool out 30 ft so you don't have to move for every piece and you can reach stuff off to the sides.

MVC-002S_14.JPG

Then use the cordless remote and drag them till it starts to lift . Then swing it around to the splitting area.

MVC-008S_1.JPG

Try to split a 1/3 off one side and swing that chunk away. With the wedge on the ram the hanger stay put and doesn't push that would make a swing back possible.

MVC-009S_1.JPG

MVC-010S_1.JPG

Take more chunks off and store them on the table so bend over pickup is needed till it's to finish size.

MVC-011S_1.JPG

You can use the tongs as another place to "store" a bigger piece till you're ready for it. Just swing away and lock the mast out of your way.

MVC-007S_4.JPG

By far the easiest splitter I have used. No rolling stuff around. No heaving up on it's end to Verticle split and no leaning over to noodle for extended periods of time. Makes the most use of the wood with basically no waste or trash from smalls and such. Bottom line is at the end of the day you are not beat and ready for more and that was the goal of making it. Goes really fast with 2 people as one can be dragging/lifting the next piece while the other guy is finishing up the smaller chunks. The thing is you CAN work the big stuff by yourself easier/faster than most of the other options out there.

You just have to find a solution for your style of wood gathering. Some have to get in and get out what they cut that day so that makes a difference in their needs. No leaving the big stuff till they are done as it is public land or something. Some get log loads, etc. way your options and find the best option for YOU. This is ours.

Virginiairon,
I actually don't use that splitter much anymore. I built a 36" one with a 4 way hydraulic adjust wedge. I do have a few friends that use it and they all want to buy it but I'm keeping it around. As you can see I extended the beam enough to add the wedge. Being a sharp wedge it slices the rounds more than splitting so not too worried about it busting off. I just bolted on the push plate onto the factory wedge just in case I ever want to change it back to use vertical but I doubt that will happen. I also added longer bars on for the splitting table and widen it after this picture was taken. I think Speeco and the others should offer a splitter like this for the guys who never go vertical.

When I bought my splitter, I wanted a horizontal only. Outrageous prices on those, settled for a TroyBilt 27 ton. Been verticle only twice and I found noodling was both faster and easier.

My brother in law has a splitter that is about 12" off the ground, he splits on his knees and says he likes it. I borrowed it once years ago and 1st thing I did was set it up on blocks. I have bad knees though.
For monster blocks vertical is likely the easiest way to do them but I've always found that the monsters are more work than I want to do. Also in the bush I'm working now there are no monsters, biggest tree I would cut is maybe 25" . I also cut my owb rounds to 32" long and can load them onto my dump trailer or splitter table with my tractor if need be. You guys with the big trees have to do it with whatever equipment you have. Log lifts are likely a big seller there.

I’d like to try my hand at splitting some of those 40” rounds. Looks like that would make a ton of wood quick. All we have here is about 20” max for the most part. I do all mine by hand with an axe type splitter. A hydro splitter is way way too slow for me in what I cut. The big mesquite fractures pretty bad if you drop it hard so that helps split the big ones. I’m used to felling through tree limbs so I try to drop them as hard a possible so they don’t hang up.

Back