Eastonmade Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The proper engagement of a bolt into a nut is only 1 full thread above the nut. Anything more is not necessarily better.

Having more bolt sticking through the nut, gives the nut a better chance of staying on the bolt longer if it starts backing itself off. Giving you more opportunity to catch it before it falls off completely. It doesn't make it stronger, but it takes longer for it to back off and fall off the bolt.

Mudd, Andrew has already made a splitter like I was describing. The model 12-22 has the type of box wedge that works perfect for those big nasty rounds and will last.

I like the box wedge design because it takes a lot of the stress off the splitter and it's not trying to split the whole round at once. It also looks like its easier to pull the round back and let it drop down for the next cycle.

I like the look of the box wedge but feel it will generate more trash. The worry I have with dealing with large log cut offs that have crotches is they are simply not prudent to run through anything other than a single knife.

I like the look of the box wedge but feel it will generate more trash. The worry I have with dealing with large log cut offs that have crotches is they are simply not prudent to run through anything other than a single knife.

That’s the nice thing about an eastonmade box wedge. It slips in and out if you want single wedge or 4 way or what ever suites your wood.

I like the box wedge design because it takes a lot of the stress off the splitter and it's not trying to split the whole round at once. It also looks like its easier to pull the round back and let it drop down for the next cycle.
Yes I agree with you, I was speaking strictly from a fasteners ability to provide a mechanical connection. Once a nut is lose all bets are off and that mechanical joint is as good as failed.

Nice work getting to the bottom of this guys, it's appreciated for the sake of TRUTH.
If I ever got into selling firewood an Eastonmade splitter would be towards top of the short list.
Yep. Case CLOSED!!! 'Ol Bryan messed with hornets and got stung.

Yep. Case CLOSED!!! 'Ol Bryan messed with hornets and got stung.
I believe he kinda got what he wanted which was some negative press for the Eastonmade products...even if it was all B.S.

When you search Eastonmade with g00gle this thread pops up on the first page and might deter some small businessman from wanting to even chance dropping a bunch of cash on a rig that doesn’t perform great and last a good long while. This was admittedly what ol douchebag Bryan wanted from the get go.

What all the non-members that find themselves here after doing a search of MD Group Inc. need to do is read back through this thread and ask themselves if they want to do business with people that openly lie on a public forum.

I believe he kinda got what he wanted which was some negative press for the Eastonmade products...even if it was all B.S.

When you search Eastonmade with g00gle this thread pops up on the first page and might deter some small businessman from wanting to even chance dropping a bunch of cash on a rig that doesn’t perform great and last a good long while. This was admittedly what ol douchebag Bryan wanted from the get go.

What all the non-members that find themselves here after doing a search of MD Group Inc. need to do is read back through this thread and ask themselves if they want to do business with people that openly lie on a public forum.

First off, I do not sell firewood but know people locally that do. From what I have seen, it is like most other things and it has been mentioned here before. If you do a good job and treat people with respect by giving them a good product, they will come back and word of mouth will give you all the sales you can handle. Anymore, I get REAL leary of places that advertise endlessly as you wonder why they have to. Normally it becomes evident pretty fast.

I'd be interested to know what you guys that sell have found. Fly by nighters come in, promise the world and undercut the local prices and sell wet wood. Customers go away and come back once they get burned. (pun intended) Comments?

What really did amaze me when I first saw this thread was I did some searching to see if anyone else had any issue. Not a single thing came up. Red Flags started to raise as for someone to claim issues, basically from day one, did not make sense. We all know what happened from there and it was quite a surprise to have the actual maker chime in and fill in the blanks. For him to post the conversations between them when he was threatened by the other party that he was, was awesome. No cherry picking on words, just the truth which painted the picture pretty quick.

My hope is people will take the time to read through to see what was up,which honestly, I think they would if they were serious about something of this cost. You can tell by the stuff Andrew is making, he's not in it to make a quick buck by sacrificing component quality. Most companies out there are not taking that route as they are in the throw away mentality of the day. Commercial quality should mean commercial quality. bottom line.

Just a thought.
On the box blade, why not put an arm on the pusher, to pull the log back for the next split? Just gravity, and a tab, to catch the log, for the next cycle.
N

I like splitter scraps so a box wedge would likely be perfect for my use, but I'm just not sure I'm going to be running a lot of large firewood through a splitter here in the future. Unless EAB speeds up around here, I'm slowing down a fair amount.

@Kevin in Ohio. The only time I advertise is if I have something special to sell like Apple or cherry. All the wood I sell is in 1/4 cord bins and and customer hauls. Usually 6-8 bins per week. All word of mouth and repeat customers. I could sell more but won't sell wood that isn't dry enough to burn.

I don't know how close to reality this is and perhaps Andrew could chime in here, but I assume many if not most buyers prepared to spend $10k or more on a wood splitter (not a processor) are generally chasing profitable production of variable-diameter logs. Those that aren't are more likely to be choosing one of his cheaper models.

If there is a better way to achieve profitable production with variable diameter logs than a box wedge, please can somebody let me know before I put my money down? Thanks.

Extra debris/scrap seems a price worth paying unless there is a better alternative. Also, not all box wedge designs are created equal and some produce more debris than others.

If profitable production is the goal, why mess with anything that is too nasty for a well-engineered box wedge? I understand a single wedge will handle nasties/uglies better and produce less trash. But if I'm spending $10k on a wood splitter, I need better production than single-wedging rounds from the uglies pile.

While I don’t sell firewood, I certainly split a lot of it.

I bought the 22-28 because I only have so many hours in a day. When I am splitting wood, I wanted to be productive, without killing myself. The Eastonmade certainly accomplished that. Andrew answered all of my questions in the year leading up to me plunking down the $, until I was confident that I was making the right choice. 9 months later, I still believe I made the right choice. Probably have split 50 cords.

I don't know how close to reality this is and perhaps Andrew could chime in here, but I assume many if not most buyers prepared to spend $10k or more on a wood splitter (not a processor) are generally chasing profitable production. Those that aren't are more likely to be choosing one of his cheaper models.

If there is a better way to achieve profitable production with variable diameter logs than a box wedge, please can somebody let me know before I put my money down? Thanks.

Extra debris/scrap seems a price worth paying unless there is a better alternative. Also, not all box wedge designs are created equal and some produce more debris than others.

If profitable production is the goal, why mess with anything that is too nasty for a well-engineered box wedge? I understand a single wedge will handle nasties/uglies better and produce less trash. But if I'm spending $10k on a wood splitter, I need better production than single-wedging rounds from the uglies pile.

A couple things come to mind. A friend of mine likes to block his splits thinner with 4 sides as he feels, and has proven to himself, that it dries faster due to the surface area. That's a plus for the box style. a couple of minuses come to my mind. If they stack like bricks, you won't be able to get the airflow through as well and you're going to be selling more wood for a cord than you normally would have to. My Dad told of a local guy who had a roadside firewood "business back in the 70's. He'd buy wood by the truckload and restack it in a 4x4x8 box that was a self serve. He'd "airstack" on purpose and gain just from the air volume so a guy like that would love odd stuff.

Most guys I've seen running production want uniformity in their product so it's like working with telephone poles. Quick and easy. You can see their point as it's a day job to them. I on the other hand, want to use as much of my wood as possible so I deal with the nasties and don't want small stuff as it's more handling. i'm assuming a lot of the bigger outfits either have people who take the uglies at a discount or move it on to a grinding operation. I would think if they are really big they would sell mulch/chips throughout the year to spread their income out.

While I don’t sell firewood, I certainly split a lot of it.

I bought the 22-28 because I only have so many hours in a day. When I am splitting wood, I wanted to be productive, without killing myself. The Eastonmade certainly accomplished that. Andrew answered all of my questions in the year leading up to me plunking down the $, until I was confident that I was making the right choice. 9 months later, I still believe I made the right choice. Probably have split 50 cords.

Are you personally burning 50+ cords a year? Or perhaps are a charitable person and giving much of that away or?

Back