Chainsaw Milling on a Budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking about getting some of this CSM info down in a less scattered format than this forum. I have all the photos and diagrams on my laptop. I might leave it for if and when I can't do anymore in the shop - I hope that's a long way away and I don't forget it all by them.
Sir, you should! Seems to be a dying art.
I just started milling, really, like this week. I love it. Ive always loved saws but the final product of milling slabs is much more beautiful than what I usually do with a chainsaw. Its fire wood, slash/chip pile, rounds thrown out of the way,ect...please share your knowledge, guys like me will not only totally geek out on it but buy your book too.

In my book, a 28" diameter saw needs a 90cc saw and a 36" bar. Sure you could cut make a couple of cuts that are 28" wide with a 70cc saw but long term I reckon that is asking for trouble.

This probably isn’t what you were hoping to hear but it is spot on advice. That being said if you found a 70cc saw that you can afford to help get you closer to the goal then go for it. Milling isn’t easy on saws or tight budgets. It also depends on the type of wood you’re milling. Furthermore, a properly sharpened chain is EXTREMELY important when milling with a chainsaw.

I'm seeing a lot of people buying the Holzfforma saws and I may get one out of curiosity. Guys seem to be very pleased with them. $300 for a 660 clone is probably a great way to get started with a limited budget.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

If you are patient and look real hard you should be able to find an older saw for 200-400. For that sized milling a 395xp or an older Stihl like an 051 come to mind.

Back