Eastonmade Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple things come to mind. A friend of mine likes to block his splits thinner with 4 sides as he feels, and has proven to himself, that it dries faster due to the surface area. That's a plus for the box style. a couple of minuses come to my mind. If they stack like bricks, you won't be able to get the airflow through as well and you're going to be selling more wood for a cord than you normally would have to. My Dad told of a local guy who had a roadside firewood "business back in the 70's. He'd buy wood by the truckload and restack it in a 4x4x8 box that was a self serve. He'd "airstack" on purpose and gain just from the air volume so a guy like that would love odd stuff.

Most guys I've seen running production want uniformity in their product so it's like working with telephone poles. Quick and easy. You can see their point as it's a day job to them. I on the other hand, want to use as much of my wood as possible so I deal with the nasties and don't want small stuff as it's more handling. i'm assuming a lot of the bigger outfits either have people who take the uglies at a discount or move it on to a grinding operation. I would think if they are really big they would sell mulch/chips throughout the year to spread their income out.
That seems to be the perennial question of profitable firewood production - is there any profitable room between staying deliberately small-time or going the high volume cordwood processor routes. It's a tightrope. When I crunch the numbers, the box wedge designs seem about as far as is prudent to take small-time firewood production before the giant leap into serious processors.

Good point on the tighter stacking of the dimensional firewood. I'd be very surprised if the extra production of the box wedge doesn't eclipse the extra pieces or wood volume of dimensional wood that goes into a cord.

One of the great things I like about an international wood forum like this one is the sheer variance of situations. Down here, a thrown cubic meter is a legal measure of firewood. Also, nobody, not even down South would go through much more than 10 cords a Winter and if I had to average out across the whole country I'd assume one - two cords a year per firewood buyer.

Are you personally burning 50+ cords a year? Or perhaps are a charitable person and giving much of that away or?

I burn about 10.

But the tree guy who provides the rounds also burns about 10.

The farmer who has the land that we process the wood on burns about 30 between 2 outdoor furnaces.

Right now, we are working on next years wood.

I always burned dried wood, hopefully the consumption on the other stoves will drop once they start burning seasoned wood. We shall see.

I don't know how close to reality this is and perhaps Andrew could chime in here, but I assume many if not most buyers prepared to spend $10k or more on a wood splitter (not a processor) are generally chasing profitable production of variable-diameter logs. Those that aren't are more likely to be choosing one of his cheaper models.

If there is a better way to achieve profitable production with variable diameter logs than a box wedge, please can somebody let me know before I put my money down? Thanks.

Extra debris/scrap seems a price worth paying unless there is a better alternative. Also, not all box wedge designs are created equal and some produce more debris than others.

If profitable production is the goal, why mess with anything that is too nasty for a well-engineered box wedge? I understand a single wedge will handle nasties/uglies better and produce less trash. But if I'm spending $10k on a wood splitter, I need better production than single-wedging rounds from the uglies pile.

Here you go. I have posted this before. You want to split wood, power split/timber devil is the way to go. Unfortunately, 10k$ aint going to cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJ4YmxJuFY

Isn't sycamore supposed to be impossible to split? One thing I liked about that one is the tubes where your splits run on so the fines and debris fall through.

I don't know how close to reality this is and perhaps Andrew could chime in here, but I assume many if not most buyers prepared to spend $10k or more on a wood splitter (not a processor) are generally chasing profitable production of variable-diameter logs. Those that aren't are more likely to be choosing one of his cheaper models.

If there is a better way to achieve profitable production with variable diameter logs than a box wedge, please can somebody let me know before I put my money down? Thanks.

Extra debris/scrap seems a price worth paying unless there is a better alternative. Also, not all box wedge designs are created equal and some produce more debris than others.

If profitable production is the goal, why mess with anything that is too nasty for a well-engineered box wedge? I understand a single wedge will handle nasties/uglies better and produce less trash. But if I'm spending $10k on a wood splitter, I need better production than single-wedging rounds from the uglies pile.

I've watched videos on the 12 and 16 way box wedges that Cord King, Bell's, Multi-tek have on their processors and it seems like they make quite a bit more junk than a regular wedge that has a main knife and then wings... usually 6 or 8 way.
Also need serious hydraulics to be able to push through a box wedge. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I want to say it's 50 or 55 tons... 7" cylinder with like a 6" rod.
To compare, my processor runs a 6 way regular wedge and it's I think 15 or 18 tons. It's quite rare it won't split something.

I''ve not come across a splitter (not a processor) that has a big box wedge. There's the little ones like Tempest (now labelled at Woodmizer) have. Seems like a regular wedge would be quicker going in those cases. I suppose those would be handy for doing bundle wood or if a person has lots of customers that expect small splits?

View attachment 691992 Stover® lock nuts are one-piece hex nuts which derive their prevailing torque characteristics from controlled distortion of their top threads from their normal helical form to a more elliptical shape. Frequently used in farm machinery, plus in the automotive and metalworking industries, they can withstand severe vibration and shock loads.

How one of those loosens to the point it is missing? I have never heard that term but they are used in a few places on my equipment notably a flail mower and they are single use items, ie if removed use a new one.

You stated bolts not tightened did not you? Look at the picture in post #87 sure looks like the bolts are not of sufficient length.

How and why are the heads of the bolts so chewed up after 120 hrs ? I split up to 12-15 cord per year for the last 28 yrs with my splitter and my bolt heads still look great. Wood does not booger up metal,I do not care how hard the wood is.

I burn about 10.

But the tree guy who provides the rounds also burns about 10.

The farmer who has the land that we process the wood on burns about 30 between 2 outdoor furnaces.

Right now, we are working on next years wood.

I always burned dried wood, hopefully the consumption on the other stoves will drop once they start burning seasoned wood. We shall see.
Have you run the numbers on what that 10 cords are costing you compared to either buying split firewood, or loads of logs? Earlier, you noted time is precious, so I wonder if you've pencilled it all out.

Here you go. I have posted this before. You want to split wood, power split/timber devil is the way to go. Unfortunately, 10k$ aint going to cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJ4YmxJuFY
Thanks. I'm not convinced it's a better fit although it's a fine machine and would created less debris. A single operator is tied to the machine, whereas a horizontal can use auto-return valves. A horizontal machine has the ability to gravity feed into the splitting chamber with far fewer reasons for the operators hands to be anywhere near the wedge. I think it's only a matter of time, and certainly within the machines estimated lifetime, that worksafe health and safety rules here will force an operators hands far from the wedge, like it or not. Last time I looked, which was years ago, the powersplits were way North of $10k.

I''ve not come across a splitter (not a processor) that has a big box wedge. There's the little ones like Tempest (now labelled at Woodmizer) have. Seems like a regular wedge would be quicker going in those cases. I suppose those would be handy for doing bundle wood or if a person has lots of customers that expect small splits?
Woodmizer bought Tempest a while ago. I've always liked their design but have waited too long for them to seize the productivity gains that are staring them in the face. Maybe it's a liability thing that stops them, but other box wedge models are starting to get their act together. Yeah, small splits seem to sell better here than large ones.

How and why are the heads of the bolts so chewed up after 120 hrs ? I split up to 12-15 cord per year for the last 28 yrs with my splitter and my bolt heads still look great. Wood does not booger up metal,I do not care how hard the wood is.
That is back from post 198 I doubt I can make any useful comments at this point. I did notice the bolts and nuts were more banged up more on the wedge end. The apparent deformation of the plates those bolts go through was questioned earlier.

EDIT: This is not the thread I thought I was posting in. Bryan Dodge post. Opps!

I used an old horizontal splitter and a bench for years, lots of years, for personal wood.
Bought a SuperSplit HD.
Bought a TW-6 w/lift and four-way. The big splits from the single or four-way wedge end up on the ground again, on both sides of the machine, which just makes more work.
There is a huge split pile on one end of the splitter and a quad on the other. Sometimes a conveyor on one end, all of which makes these a two person machine. One each side. Working alone didn't work so smooth, so I had a shop modify the wedge (within two month of being brand new), and operated from the lift side, which is tight and a possible pinch point on most splitters with a lift. The wedge mod did help tremendously, maybe 75% of the time eliminating the need to change sides to pick up pieces to re-split. Pulling the near split to the log lift, and re-splitting the far split.
The Eastonmade box wedge appears to be a much better wedge design, more controlled splits, making it safer for the operator handling large rounds weighing hundreds of pounds. I've never used one, but from my $10,000.+ experience with Timberwolf, it looks pretty good. (At the time of the TW purchase I was unaware of Eastonmade splitters)
I would add when discussing overall designs, I've never used a full auto cycle valve, and would not consider it on a Timberwolf design. Many many times a split would splay and catch the front edge of the outfeed table. In full auto cycle, that would be a huge issue to the splitter and operator safety. Same on detent return. An operator needs to watch, and be at the controls, that large debre does not get behind the push plate and damage equipment,and possibly shoot into legs and knees. It can and does. There are currently two threads on damaged splitters, including this one. IMG_1465.jpg IMG_1466.jpg IMG_1517.jpg IMG_1519.jpg IMG_1521.jpg IMG_1523.jpg IMG_1529.jpg

I would add when discussing overall designs, I've never used a full auto cycle valve, and would not consider it on a Timberwolf design. Many many times a split would splay and catch the front edge of the outfeed table. In full auto cycle, that would be a huge issue to the splitter and operator safety. Same on detent return. An operator needs to watch, and be at the controls, that large debre does not get behind the push plate and damage equipment,and possibly shoot into legs and knees. It can and does. There are currently two threads on damaged splitters, including this one. View attachment 693510 View attachment 693511 View attachment 693512 View attachment 693513 View attachment 693514 View attachment 693515 View attachment 693516

I have a full auto cycle valve on mine. just for your info. You do have the option of manaul in/manual out/auot back/or full auto. there are 2 valves and you can use common sense accordingly. As we have seen though, sometimes too much to ask for some.

That is back from post 198 I doubt I can make any useful comments at this point. I did notice the bolts and nuts were more banged up more on the wedge end. The apparent deformation of the plates those bolts go through was questioned earlier.

Those bolts were damaged from the combination of the push plate flexing up from the bolts not being tight, and possibly a bent beam. They then come into contact with the underside of the log cradles.

Have you run the numbers on what that 10 cords are costing you compared to either buying split firewood, or loads of logs? Earlier, you noted time is precious, so I wonder if you've pencilled it all out

I enjoy splitting wood, and it’s good excercise.

The splitter was a business right off, so that helps.

If I added up what I use to make firewood, I would be way underwater. Multiple skid loaders, backhoes, dump trucks, Gasifier OWB..... like I said I enjoy being outside.

Everything else was used for my business. The splitter is a drop in the bucket.

Thanks. I'm not convinced it's a better fit although it's a fine machine and would created less debris. A single operator is tied to the machine, whereas a horizontal can use auto-return valves. A horizontal machine has the ability to gravity feed into the splitting chamber with far fewer reasons for the operators hands to be anywhere near the wedge. I think it's only a matter of time, and certainly within the machines estimated lifetime, that worksafe health and safety rules here will force an operators hands far from the wedge, like it or not. Last time I looked, which was years ago, the powersplits were way North of $10k.

I have run a tw-7 and a timber devil. Running a horizontal splitter is like digging a foundation with a shovel. Timber devil is like an excavator. Just watching the video on post #294 brought back a lot of old memories. Bad ones.

I've watched videos on the 12 and 16 way box wedges that Cord King, Bell's, Multi-tek have on their processors and it seems like they make quite a bit more junk than a regular wedge that has a main knife and then wings... usually 6 or 8 way.
Also need serious hydraulics to be able to push through a box wedge. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I want to say it's 50 or 55 tons... 7" cylinder with like a 6" rod.
To compare, my processor runs a 6 way regular wedge and it's I think 15 or 18 tons. It's quite rare it won't split something.

Big processors with fixed box wedges push about 55 tons. They generate about 1 cord of junk/waste for every 5 cords split. Yup, you can jam up a box wedge. To get it unstuck, you usually use a split piece of wood and try to push the debris out from the individual flutes. At 55 tons, with a good plug, a 6x6x12” piece of red oak will get squashed like an air gun pellet trying to remove the blockage. You then have to shut down and try to cut slots in the debris in the wedge with the tip of a chainsaw. This is suicide squad dangerous. On the plus side, in the right wood, you can push 4 cords and hour.

Latest posts

Back