Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of grand kids..our daughter and granddaughter are here for a late Christmas View attachment 693430sure a lot of fun, prolly more fun than chain saws and firewood :omg:.
Was able to get out and split some blocks up to refill the wood boxView attachment 693431I always try to have some blocks in the wood shed to split up during the winter so the withdrawals aren’t so bad in the off seasonView attachment 693432I rather enjoy splitting lodgepole with the fiskars in the off season. It also keeps me from using up so much of the already split stuff View attachment 693433Hope every one had a great Christmas.

nice wood shed, pix. cute lil kid! :)

it takes some real ba**s, imo... to post up a small scrounge to some of your awesome logging/tree scrounge acquisitions. never cease to amaze me. often enough poles to make a small log cabin hamlet....:yes:. but, like a rose is a rose, a scrounge is a scrounge. yesterday was a good day to go get a local scrounge been eyeing. got plenty cords up at farm, but when being a city-boy, too... free and easy always interests me. especially if it is no split needed oak. and well seasoned, too. this haul was just couple houses down the street. kindling to some of you. treasure to me... besides the recent winds dropped a oak limb out of place across the street. so like pennies add up to dollars... I fired up my logging truck... and went city scrounging. time to start and end, couple hours. bettern 13th of a cord, maybe closer to 1/12th or so... this scrounge is just perfect for my outdoor fireplace, mr Brutus... who is never too picky.

the cull pile
P6080033.JPG

I get into larger scrounges in my area, but so much oak is always coming down in my neighborhood, one way or another I have all I need and more, and it never ceases to show up. free n ez always interests me! :)

P6080036.JPG

I had a couple cu ft more in trunk car. 3/4" to 1" or so, also all oak... for use on the kindling...
P6080037.JPG

I keep this yard tractor running just to go get local neighborhood scrounged wood. the tractor, itself was a scrounge, too... if u can believe that! :yes: freebie. the cart - HF. I have all the mowing sys too for the yard tractor...
P6080038.JPG

Did do another walkabout late this afternoon , we found an old skid trail that we can open back up , polly 3 to 4 cord throughout that trail so it's worth the effort. Dead tops and leaners , maple , birch and some spruce .

b46e74d99b4fb904778876a268185345.jpg
80555b08a89a6e3bec25d269c9606911.jpg
21b56c7ec660f50483678fd1ede06721.jpg

interesting... how old do u think it is? failry recent, or more so old logging days?

Looks like I’m going over to the dark side. Put a deposit down on an F-150 XLT, magma red, 2.7, ten speed, 4X4. I think Ford calls it a crew cab. Has the short half door.
The sticker was $51,000. I offered $35 out the door and they said OK. Pick it up Monday. This is my third Ford. My first was a 39 coupe with a 59AB flatty, then a 58 English Ford Zodiac. I expect this to be the last truck I ever buy.

:D

I try not to even look at those trucks. Mine is running just fine. Look away Jeff, look away!

I was telling a friend from HS who still lives up just S of Seattle... about the guy who comes over and gets all my pine needles. drives a '48 Chevy, 3/4T drive train, and he added a sbc 400 to it. work truck. my friend said his dad told him many moons ago... "drive an old truck, it will work for you!" or... "drive a new truck and you will work for it!" lol ;)

but as we all know, new iron is certainly nice!! :yes:

I had a full day today. Threw 4 saws in the Mustang and picked up my friend Harold and went to his sons new Home and dropped a nice size very dead White Oak and bucked it up so he can have some more fire wood this year. Used my new Blue Beast to do the deed. With a thin hinge and tension on the rope it leaned but would not come down. One wedge, then a double and the hinge broke and the trunk moved an inch, but the darn thing stayed standing. Alternately kept hitting a wedge on each side till it slid off the stump, and then it came down.We get done with that and go down the street to a Mustang shop, The guy was about our age, and we had lots to talk about. He had 5 classics in various stages of restoration, including a fully restored 66 289 and two unrestored 67 Fastbacks (one was a 390).Then I had to get back to babysit 3 Grandkids, came home and took a shower and here I am! Yes, I have a vid of the Blue Beast, but I'm not loading it now!

"ta ~ DAH!!!"... :havingarest:

Looks like I’m going over to the dark side. Put a deposit down on an F-150 XLT, magma red, 2.7, ten speed, 4X4. I think Ford calls it a crew cab. Has the short half door.
The sticker was $51,000. I offered $35 out the door and they said OK. Pick it up Monday. This is my third Ford. My first was a 39 coupe with a 59AB flatty, then a 58 English Ford Zodiac. I expect this to be the last truck I ever buy.
A good friend of mine that runs a landscape business picked up a 2.7 f150 as his daily driver. Says it will pull 10k pounds just as well as there 6.2 f250 work trucks. So for he is very happy with it.

>The flathead. The only fish smarter than man.

please explain...

those French fries do look tasty!... did u cook that on the shore, outdoors, camp site or?

That was irony. Flathead would be about the dumbest fish in the sea. However, they are also one of the tastiest so that's two problems they have when I'm fishing. The burger was cooked by the Marlo pub.

Another good day! Cut and noodled some more of the Red Maple at my Daughter's (you already have pics of over there).

Sighted in the pellet rifle I gave to my 12 year old Grandson for his Birthday (on 12/27), and he shot a bulls eye with it (about a 1/2") at 25 yds from a sand bag, and was pleased as punch!

Then my friend Harold tells me his son wants to buy one of my Asian Hybrids (it will go to him at cost). I guess after our cutting session yesterday, his homeowner saw no longer seems impressive! He does have a lot of nice wood on the few acres he purchased.

Back