038 Mag high speed cutout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i have an 038 mag just did her up, new piston seals lines, filter, carb kit. (Bing) was running like a banshee for 2-3 days then today I went to run it and it cuts at at high speed, irregular throttle. Checked coil, plenty of fire replaced anyway, problem still persists? I’ve pulled the carb and blew it out, new fuel. Inspected fuel line everything seems okay. Blew out HS jet, and every orriface in the carb I could find...SOS. Isles and starts fine.

I would suspect ignition first. Maybe check coil gap and replace spark plug. Inspect plug wire and connection inside boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's more than likely the choke in the air filter. If spring in the filter gets weak it can close partially at full throttle. Also aftermarket filters have been known to have these issues
I think that might have been the trick. I saw a post somewhere else, it has one of those new knockoff air filters on it, and the choke flap was just kind of in there loosely. I yanked the flap out, and it ran really well afterwards (doesn’t start worth a crap now) going to head to the dealer to see if they can get the right part.

Back