MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlguy

10 yo grandson using 024 Super
Reaction score
OK, so I got this brain fart along with a bad case of CAD. Thought I would sell a few saws in anticipation of getting an MS500i if they ever get in the USA. Down to 8 saws currently, just sold one a couple of months ago. What do you think????

OK, so I got this brain fart along with a bad case of CAD. Thought I would sell a few saws in anticipation of getting an MS500i if they ever get in the USA. Down to 8 saws currently, just sold one a couple of months ago. What do you think????
Seems like the 500i would fit in your fleet pretty well, but for the cost would be hard to justify unless it’s making you money.

I also wonder how difficult it will be to work on for the average tinkerer. With the new technology and the completely different design I’m guessing it will be pretty hard to work on.

I can’t see how it’s going to be all that much better than the 462
I wonder the same thing. Will you notice much difference with a day of trigger time between the two? How much of an advantage is fuel injection? No choke, but still have to prime.

Will no carb mean less maintainence, tuning, cleaning etc?

My 7900 Dolmar was purchased brand new in 2009 for $650 with a 20" bar and chain. Curtis was the cheapest dealer at the time. A couple years later he went up to $750 I believe. He had quite a few even after the 7910's came out.

13.6 lbs
79cc
6.3 hp

Very similar specs to the 500i, except it was half the cost. Think I'll keep using the Dolmar

:laugh:

Cept the 500i is fuel injected.

Yup,

I realize that. Still not sure why it costs so damn much!

Does it by chance come with a free jar of Vaseline? Seems to me, Stihl is taking a little advantage here, but hey, some guys always have to have the latest and greatest. Money being no object. Not saying a fuel injection chainsaw isn't revolutionary, but $1,800? Really?

Im not sure either... But it is what it is.... I wouldn't mind having one... but I wouldn't pay $1800 for it either. I would be interested to see how it works... What with the electrical system being tied to the flywheel with no battery.. Or does it have a battery?

Keep in mind these saws start out across the pond where the environmental regulations are far more stringent.

Most people buying a saw this size want it for the power, weight being secondary. I could buy a 661 or a Husky 395 which are both better in big wood, and are both approx. $500-$600 cheaper.

The power to weight ratio is impressive, but many other saws of several manufacturers have impressive ratios as well. The only reason people will pay so much is to have the first fuel injected chainsaw. Personally, I'd rather buy a 661 and a 241 for similar monies. This 500 wont be as good in big wood as the 661, and obviously wont limb like the 241, yet it costs as much as both put together.

Most people buying a saw this size want it for the power, weight being secondary. I could buy a 661 or a Husky 395 which are both better in big wood, and are both approx. $500-$600 cheaper.

The power to weight ratio is impressive, but many other saws of several manufacturers have impressive ratios as well. The only reason people will pay so much is to have the first fuel injected chainsaw. Personally, I'd rather buy a 661 and a 241 for similar monies. This 500 wont be as good in big wood as the 661, and obviously wont limb like the 241, yet it costs as much as both put together.

How many guys here really run a 661 or a 395 on the regular with say a 36? That’s where power to weight pays off every day falling timber where you have to limb and buck with one saw. If they’re like other stihls it’ll need better dawgs and better anti vibe for longer bars like the west coast runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the 500i would fit in your fleet pretty well, but for the cost would be hard to justify unless it’s making you money.

I also wonder how difficult it will be to work on for the average tinkerer. With the new technology and the completely different design I’m guessing it will be pretty hard to work on.
Do I need 8 saws? Do I need a 500i? Do I enjoy my saws? No No and Yes. I don't drink,smoke or chase women, but do enjoy cutting firewood. We will have to see if they ever get here and how $$$$$$.

Have you seen my signature. My "2" saw plan is well covered!!!!

How many guys here really run a 661 or a 395 on the regular with say a 36? That’s where power to weight pays off every day falling timber where you have to limb and buck with one saw. If they’re like other stihls it’ll need better dawgs and better anti vibe for longer bars like the west coast runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ran an 090 w/53 bar, what an animal!!!!

If you're just looking for something to spend money on, I'd get a new tractor implement, atv implement, etc. Something to make life easier.

Back