Quick 044 compression question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CsClimbr

Ex-Climber with CAD
Reaction score
short story.. built another 044 from pieces. Split case, bearings/seals the whole 9. I removed the base gasket after seemingly not getting any type of reading on squish using solder. Now with no gasket it’s still reading a little much on squish .030~ give or take BUT a compression test is showing 175+ psi and damn near pulling my shoulder out to turn her over. Is this anywhere near normal? It’s a slantfin with no decomp (maybe I should have used the 440 decomp jug I had)

My arm appreciates any help :laugh:

If I had that saw blowing 175 I think I'd leave it alone. Sounds pretty good to me! But you might want someone here on AS who is familiar with measuring squish to weigh in. If you didn't measure it accurately you might have a problem down the road.

If I had that saw blowing 175 I think I'd leave it alone. Sounds pretty good to me! But you might want someone here on AS who is familiar with measuring squish to weigh in. If you didn't measure it accurately you might have a problem down the road.

Tried measuring squish in a bunch of different areas on the piston but nowhere down even close to 020, not that I’d want it down that far with that much comp, barely crank it to begin with and almost want to put the base gasket back in. I do have another 440 decomp cylinder on the way in case

Tried measuring squish in a bunch of different areas on the piston but nowhere down even close to 020, not that I’d want it down that far with that much comp, barely crank it to begin with and almost want to put the base gasket back in. I do have another 440 decomp cylinder on the way in case

It's possible the installation lubricants may be at play giving the rings an extra strong seal. If that's the case then it'll mellow down after clearing out.

Makes sense, I did keep it well oiled as I went along with the build. Usually store them with a half cap of 2stroke oil in the cylinder if I don’t plan to get right back to the build

Latest posts

Back