"New'' to me Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Brown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm used to the good old 026, so when i found a less than one year old, good used, but, not abused 261 i bought it. Good saw, it originally had a 20'' B&C and i asked if they would ship it with a 18'' B&C which they did. I think its a keeper, boy, i'm not used to the faster cutting speed, and smother saw, or the difference in the amount of fuel the 261 uses. I think it has a smaller fuel tank or its just plain thirsty, lol. But, the power and smoothness is nothing but nice. It does wind up , i'm impressed. I've got a 044 as well for the big stuff, but, this 261 is pretty nice. Next, is or will be, a muffler mod, from what i read/understand it will wake it up even more. I cut up a pretty nice Ash today and it went through it like it was warm butter. I had the good old 026 along for comparison, I really like the 261. But, the 026 will continue to go along for the ride, if the 044 isn't needed.

Nice work B Brown. I’m considering one myself and am glad to hear you are pleased with its performance alongside the 026. If it’s not too much to ask, how much did you pay for the saw? Please post your reflections on the saw’s performance once you perform the muffler mod too - I have seen lots of info on the mod’s impact to 026s and 260s and anticipate similar results for the 261s but would like to hear someone’s experience. Thanks and congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a ms250 and now I have a 026 , 261 c-m (first generation)and a 441c-m 261 has 20” bar and is always my first grab !!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!!! I'm keeping an eye out for one, but dang they hold their value

Back