Welch Plug Falls Out In Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Have any of you ever seen this? Carb was a Zama C1Q-S57. Saw had funky running issues at WOT. Sometimes it would rev up all the way other times it would act rich. Originally thought it was just old, stiff, diaphragms but now am thinking it was a leaking welch plug.

BTW, tried installing a replacement but it leaked since I don't have the correct install tool/punch and any kind of sealant is now verboten due to ethanol. Now it is in the dead carburetor graveyard - not worth any more time.

I use some nail polish/ paint for sealant, apply to edge of welsh plug, then gently tap in with a flat instrument, ie 1/4" socket drive, etc dont have to go gorilla hulk smash on it, just a tap to expand it out into the recess of the carb body.

I discovered some king of sealer on Zama Welch plugs. Lacquer thinner makes it soft as silicone gasket maker
Apparently neither Zama or Walbro currently uses any kind of sealant on welch plugs as they can't find any that will reliably hold up to ethanol and various other fuel additives. They have had to improve their machining and plug tolerances to be able to seal without using sealant.

New plug upset with a flat nose punch is all it really needs.
Tried that with several strikes of a flat round punch on a long oval plug. Plug held but still leaked around the edges.

I have not had a plug fall out as of yet but have found several that had a string of fine bubbles coming through around the edges of plugs when in the running US tub, they all sealed up with a solid tap on a suitable flat faced punch. I figure they were not sufficiently flattened out from new.

Ditto to what @pioneerguy600 said.... I’ve never had one come out in the US and have always got the leakers sealed with a tap.
I take the loose sealer off the ones I find it coming loose on too and don’t have issues. When the sealer starts degrading it breaks in small pieces and starts moving around where you don’t want it causing run issues.

Back