36 inch bar on a CS-2166?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got my new old stock 2016 model year but never run till Dec 20th 2018 when i picked it up from the dealer and it was started for the first time.

I got it with a 24 inch bar 3/8 full comp chisel chain it runs great no slowing it down with this combo.

I have been cutting a bunch of 30-36 inch maple however so far they were all blow downs so I was just bucking them up. now I am getting to the ones that will become blow downs come the next big wind storm or are dropping good size limbs.

yesterday I fell a hollow base maple about 32 inches across and I had to make the cut from both sides , it worked but I would like to be able to make the cut without having to hit both sides.

I used an open face notch then bore cut and set up the hinge and left a trigger then cut the trigger while pulling with a long cable and skid steer it went over ok for as ugly as that stump was I had very little solid hinge/holding wood on the right side of the stump it was rot so it went a little left of where I wanted but still a safe direction and didn't hit anything other than the round bails we knew it had to fall on , only poked a hole in one wrapper . I had been shooting for the bail on the end but it went a few bails left , it's ok it will be fed by the end of the week any way.

in 2 weeks I have two big oak about 36 inch these look much better on the stump and will be falling right on my log pile and several more maples

I am thinking a 36 inch bar with skip chisel chain , figuring I will use it just for felling and cutting into sections that the skid steer can put on the pile to be processed into fire wood. then go back to my 24 inch bar for bucking rounds.

this is the bar I am looking at https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-363RN...keywords=36+inch+chainsaw+bar#customerReviews

while I like bailey's amazon has it for 25 dollars less with free shipping.

do you see any issue running a 36 inch bar with skip tooth on this saw Jred CS-2166?

Bailey's does have the same bar but with a loop of full comp chisel chain combo , but I am worried that is too much for the 2166.

next question 114 or 115 drive links it looks like 36 inch loops come both ways ? what is the reasoning what is better to get?

Might try a 32, and swing the bar around the far side or back bar the sight cut, normally a humboldt face will be easier for cut line up as well. There’s two ways I’ll take a face one is put in a sight cut then start the face till I hit my sight or mark then walk the far side of the face in without leaving the starting side, the second is to swing the bar on the sight cut before starting my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 36” bar is too much for that saw. 36” is 90cc class length. I’d either make do with a 24”, or look into getting another bigger saw. I vote option 2, then you won’t have to constantly change bars or be short on power for the task at hand.

I could swing 120 dollars in bar and chain but not a 1000 in another larger saw.

it would be switch bars for a falling day then switch back to the 24 for making fire wood. I also have a 2255 with an 18" bar and the farm has a 2250 with a 16" and those work great for limbing and cutting the upper 1/2 of the tree when it is on the ground.

I don't buck rounds on falling days just get them in logs that the tractor can move to the pile near the road.

I go back out and buck rounds by myself and fill the truck and bring it home a truck load at a time and split and stack it strait into the shed

I was under the impression that if running skip chain meaning fewer cutters in the wood a person could run a larger bar with a smaller saw within reason?

whats reasonable for falling with the CS-2166 a 28 , 32 ?

I also don't want to run too much for the saw and put undue stress on it , I need to make the saw last many years of making heat because I do believe too much bar on repeated cuts in big wood is very hard on a saw.

I could swing 120 dollars in bar and chain but not a 1000 in another larger saw.

it would be switch bars for a falling day then switch back to the 24 for making fire wood. I also have a 2255 with an 18" bar and the farm has a 2250 with a 16" and those work great for limbing and cutting the upper 1/2 of the tree when it is on the ground.

I don't buck rounds on falling days just get them in logs that the tractor can move to the pile near the road.

I go back out and buck rounds by myself and fill the truck and bring it home a truck load at a time and split and stack it strait into the shed

I was under the impression that if running skip chain meaning fewer cutters in the woof a person could run a larger bar with a smaller saw within reason?

whats reasonable for falling with the CS-2166 a 28 , 32 ?

I run a 32 on my 562 with semi skip square chain falling oversized timber a decent amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't go any bigger than a 28" on that saw. I think 20"-24" is where you want to be for the vast majority of your cutting.

JMO

I agree 24 is were I want to be for the majority of my cutting to make fire wood rounds I have a 24 inch bar on the 2166 it bucks up rounds very well.

what I am looking at is about 3 days a year I want to make a notch and back cut and one bucking cut per tree on a total of about 4 or 5 trees for the day probably not more than 15 trees a year total.

I am not high volume , just a firewood cutter helping out a friend with a farm he gets the trees he needs taken down.

I get firewood and he runs the skid loader saving me a lot of work and equipment cost.

I only need about 4 cord a year but I am trying to get a few years ahead with 1/4 rounds stacked on pallets seasoning waiting to come home a truck load at a time to be split and fill my shed for the coming heating season.

IMHO I think that you'd be fine running a 36" with skip a couple times a year with that powerhead. Even better if you remove the transfer restrictors and make it a 2172. As long as you know a dog will drag its ass across the floor faster than you'll be cutting, and keep the chain sharp, you'll be fine.

It might would work, but its not idea. I've ran 32" full skip on several ported 70cc saws and it works ok. They dont oil that well and dont have any extra power if you need it. If you do try it, dont get your chain aggressive or you'll stay bogged down constantly

Well I ended up ordering a 28 inch bar , it keeps withing what the manufacturer recommends for the saw even if it is the top end , I am going to try the 28 with skip chain and see how I like it my dealer keeps 3/8 .058 skip and full comp in stock so it seemed like a good way to go.

I went out and measured the tree I did Wednesday it was right at 29 the next 2 big trees are about 33 and about 37 both oak.

so I wasn't getting all the way across with this saw , but with the 28 and some technique and careful planning of the notch and back cut it should be better and not too much for the saw.

Back