Thinking about porting my echo 620

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone who does porting had stated that you won't see much gains from a ported 620 due to the performance it already has.

If this is what you want to do, I'd say go for it! I've always wondered what it would do to a great saw!

Get it ported you won't regret it. If I didn't have my 7910 my ported 590 would easily handle anything I'm willing to cut up.

Someone who does porting had stated that you won't see much gains from a ported 620 due to the performance it already has.

If this is what you want to do, I'd say go for it! I've always wondered what it would do to a great saw!

Someone was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have all three variants here, CS-590, CS-600, and CS-620PW.

On paper the CS-620 is dubbed as having 15 percent more power. It does use a different P/C, carburetor and coil according to the IPL's. In actual use the increased power is noticeable, but nothing to start doing backflips over. All three of those saws have PLENTY of power with a simple muffler mod and removing the limiter caps for custom tuning.

Gains in power and cutting performance are always possible from modifications, which include intake, exhaust, timing, etc without touching the P/C. Increasing compression with a domed or taller piston and removing or thinner base gasket raises compression as well. Compression is power at every RPM, but so is improved cylinder filling as it effects dynamic compression.

Moving the cylinder closer to the crank also changes port timing slightly, so you start to get into modifications where one may require a few others to see full benefits.

I personally see nothing wrong with porting a saw even though I prefer to buy "race horses" right to start with. The CS-620 has PLENTY of power right out of the box and doesn't need much help, and since it's already making great power for the CC's improvements come in smaller amounts for the dollar spent......Cliff

@Red97 knows these well. I'll be sending my 620 out to him when he's ready. They will produce, your just not going to get as big of a jump in power as you would from a saw with crappy factory ports.

As a side note, I'll be trying out this 32" tsumura this weekend. Purely for testing /curiosity reasons with both LGX and JGX chain. So far the saw has taken up to a 30" bar in stride. Will be doing video as well this go around.
As of now the saw is just muffler modded and has a modded filter insert. I normally run a 24" tsumura.

Attachments

• 20190103_165226.jpg
    20190103_165226.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
I run a 30" skip on my CS-600 and it's fine with it. I use semi-chisel and mainly for cutting the large dead Ash trees that are abundant in our area. I use the "little" 600 because is has a nice smooth/broad/flat power curve. These dead Ash are very dangerous to fall especially if they are leaning some. This favors a saw that doesn't stall easily against the clutch and I like the lighter weight especially if I have to yank it out of the cut and make a run for it!.......Cliff

I don't know if you guys have seen it but the 680 replacement has been showing up like a ghost in a few competitions. 73x and it's evil looking.

FWIW Buckin Billy Ray just posted a video of him running an echo 620 that has been ported. Wearing a 28" bar and seemed to be running great through some decent sized wood.

I came here to say that!

Saw has been "Walkerized" - not sure what that all entails, but the West Coast folk (August, Buckin') speak highly of it for Echos. In Buckin's video the saw pulls well for it's cc and the wood it's in. :)

Just watched that this morning. The idle alone would have been enough for me to tell it's a 600 series Echo.

Latest posts

Back