Stihl ms260 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Hopple

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to the site. I have a question on Stihl ms260. Do they come only as a pro model or is there a standard model to. I just bought one off eBay as a parts saw because I want a project saw and it didn't seem like it had a decompression valve. There was a black cover over where it should be. Did I just screw myself on having a saw that's rebuildable/ upgradable if it's not a pro saw? Any help is much appreciated!

An ms260 is a pro and can be worked on. The standard model was a Ms 270.

I cant remember if the 260 has a decompression valve or not. A 50cc saw doesnt really need one imo.

026/260 is a professional series saw.
The “pro” model of those are designated by a sticker, adjustable oiler, and a decomp valve.

I have a 260 pro, i wanted it for the oiler. Decomp is never used on that 50cc. Easy to pull already.
The thing with the normal model is they have a crank oiler. Meaning to say they still have a worm but it does not spin when the clutch is engaged. It spins allllll the time the engine is running. I thought my 026 was broken at first. Then I researched it. That bothered me and it was soon gone.

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
3 saw plan:
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460
+
Echo 600p
Stihl ms211

I don't much really mind if it has the decompression valve. I know it will be easy to pull. I just was trying to make sure I got what I was wanting to get. Now my next questions are what upgrades should I do? I'm guessing it doesn't run but the engine is free.

Nathan, welcome to AS!

Bernard, thanks for the info on the full time oiler; I never knew Stihl made saws like that. I've wanted to pick up a 260 to play with, so now I know to check for that if and when I find one.

I don't much really mind if it has the decompression valve. I know it will be easy to pull. I just was trying to make sure I got what I was wanting to get. Now my next questions are what upgrades should I do? I'm guessing it doesn't run but the engine is free.
I think when you pull the muffler cover off (and paint it with BBQ black) you will see a pretty small hole that all the exhaust has to go through. That is a substantial restriction to air flow (robs power). Find a way to make the outlet bigger. You will need to tune the carb for this mod after you have it running.

While you are at it, look at the piston through the exhaust port. This is a quick way to evaluate the general condition of the engine. Be careful not to leave any crap fall in the port while you have the cover off.

Ok. Any other mods I should do? I'm not opposed to putting a bigger piston and jug on it either. I want to get the most power I can out of it and still be reliable. I have a ms361, ms391, and ms460 so I don't have to have this saw up and running right away. I bought as a project wanting to put new stock plastics , tank, and everything on it and do whatever I can to the engine too

026/260 is a professional series saw.
The “pro” model of those are designated by a sticker, adjustable oiler, and a decomp valve.

I have a 260 pro, i wanted it for the oiler. Decomp is never used on that 50cc. Easy to pull already.
The thing with the normal model is they have a crank oiler. Meaning to say they still have a worm but it does not spin when the clutch is engaged. It spins allllll the time the engine is running. I thought my 026 was broken at first. Then I researched it. That bothered me and it was soon gone.

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
3 saw plan:
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460
+
Echo 600p
Stihl ms211
I can’t figure out why the 260 has a decomp valve? If you can’t pull the rope on a 50cc saw you shouldn’t be using one! I do love my 026 and 260 though!

I can’t figure out why the 260 has a decomp valve? If you can’t pull the rope on a 50cc saw you shouldn’t be using one! I do love my 026 and 260 though!

That de-comp valve is there for guys who have women arms. I've heard that they do indeed, exist.

I've seen pics, but I ain't naming names. :innocent:

I figured that I won't be able to just throw it together to see if it runs. It's gonna get tore apart and gone through for sure.

That’s a great saw. Where you go with it depends on what you find.

Here’s the deal. The 026 were all 44mm saws. Stainless steel crank driven oiler. Oil well, but if you let the saw run all the time, it will oil and oil. I used to care, the conversion to the other pump ain’t worth the expense. 50cc saws limb and cut small stuff, why would you let it idle all day on the ground?

So, they came out with a “PRO” model. Pro had decomp valve, adjustable clutch driven oiler and I believe began the compensating “intellicarb” with the bigger air filter and Carb horn off metering side into the AF.

Then came the MS260. They began life as 44mm saws with “49cc” displacement on the tank sticker. Then the later ones increased to 44.7mm and were designated as “50cc” on the tank sticker. They all had the compensating larger air filter, but the PRO had the adjustable pump and decomp.

Both the MS260 PRO and Non-Pro came with either Fixed or adjustable H carbs. Yeah, they really did. I can’t tell which carb you have. The late 026 and all 260 tanks came with 3 adjustment holes. The early ones only 2. The wide outer holes mean Zama carb, the use of 2nnect to each other means Walbro.

As for mods, the sky is the limit. You’ll need an adjustable H carb. A muff mod and small timing advance works well. There is zero need for a decomp valve, as in zero.

Internal mods can go with nothing all the way to full race porting. How much you wanna spend?

Here’s a few 026/260 I’ve done. One is running a full 20” loop of 3/8 Stihl RS round file chain. A ported 026 (44mm) is running a 36” skip and another a 25” full comp chain. These are woods ports. The saw is a very good foundation for builds.

None of these saws are broken in, so I took it easy. They all gained another 1000 rpm after break in.

Contact @huskihl, Steve Haling, @crabby cooter for a Woods port. I’m out of the game.

Al

32” full comp in Maple

36” bar. Wouldn’t recommend it, but wanted to show recipient potential

20” RS 3/8 full comp

25” full comp

That’s a great saw. Where you go with it depends on what you find.

Here’s the deal. The 026 were all 44mm saws. Stainless steel crank driven oiler. Oil well, but if you let the saw run all the time, it will oil and oil. I used to care, the conversion to the other pump ain’t worth the expense. 50cc saws limb and cut small stuff, why would you let it idle all day on the ground?

So, they came out with a “PRO” model. Pro had decomp valve, adjustable clutch driven oiler and I believe began the compensating “intellicarb” with the bigger air filter and Carb horn off metering side into the AF.

Then came the MS260. They began life as 44mm saws with “49cc” displacement on the tank sticker. Then the later ones increased to 44.7mm and were designated as “50cc” on the tank sticker. They all had the compensating larger air filter, but the PRO had the adjustable pump and decomp.

Both the MS260 PRO and Non-Pro came with either Fixed or adjustable H carbs. Yeah, they really did. I can’t tell which carb you have. The late 026 and all 260 tanks came with 3 adjustment holes. The early ones only 2. The wide outer holes mean Zama carb, the use of 2nnect to each other means Walbro.

As for mods, the sky is the limit. You’ll need an adjustable H carb. A muff mod and small timing advance works well. There is zero need for a decomp valve, as in zero.

Internal mods can go with nothing all the way to full race porting. How much you wanna spend?

Here’s a few 026/260 I’ve done. One is running a full 20” loop of 3/8 Stihl RS round file chain. A ported 026 (44mm) is running a 36” skip and another a 25” full comp chain. These are woods ports. The saw is a very good foundation for builds.

None of these saws are broken in, so I took it easy. They all gained another 1000 rpm after break in.

Contact @huskihl, Steve Haling, @crabby cooter for a Woods port. I’m out of the game.

Al

32” full comp in Maple

36” bar. Wouldn’t recommend it, but wanted to show recipient potential

20” RS 3/8 full comp

25” full comp

Thanks for the nod, Doc

Back