Dump Trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never met anybody who liked a powder coat finish on equipment. Without the ability to use some type of primer/ sealer any contamination on the metal before coating leads to rapid peeling and propagation of surface rust.

You only need a class a cdl if gross combined wt is over 26,001. Trailer wt over 10K only matters when the tow vehicle is over 26,001. A 14K trailer towed by a 10K pickup doesn’t require any special license.

Not according to the DOT where I’ve been.

If you are revenueing & it’s over 10k, a CDL is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We are seeing a lot lawn services around this area running a lot more single axle trailers than they used to as DOT around here is cracking down on that 10,000 pound rule way more than they used too. Something new in Nebraska that we didn't have before starting 2019 all trailers will have a VIN number doesn't matter if it has been licensed for 30 years as home made. They are now issuing VIN numbers to all trailers and they will be tagged. Around here you throw you double 7,000 pound axle trailer behind your pickup it can start a whole lot of issues.

We are seeing a lot lawn services around this area running a lot more single axle trailers than they used to as DOT around here is cracking down on that 10,000 pound rule way more than they used too. Something new in Nebraska that we didn't have before starting 2019 all trailers will have a VIN number doesn't matter if it has been licensed for 30 years as home made. They are now issuing VIN numbers to all trailers and they will be tagged. Around here you throw you double 7,000 pound axle trailer behind your pickup it can start a whole lot of issues.

Pretty sure that's why my "double 7,000 pound axle trailer" is listed as 9,999lbs on the VIN plate.

Pretty sure that's why my "double 7,000 pound axle trailer" is listed as 9,999lbs on the VIN plate.

I don't know about other states, but in WI you can register a vehicle at a weight different than it's actual GVWR. For example, I have farm plates on three vehicles, a Jeep Wrangler, an E250 delivery van, and my K3500 dually. Minimum weight class on the registration form for farm plates is 12,000, so that's what they're all registered at. So, I think you can just register a trailer at 9,999# instead of actually having it derated from the factory.

Eventually if you strap a cargo hauler on the top of your van to take your family on vacation the government will need 49.99 a month for your added wind pollution license.

Regardless of whether you use it or not. Naturally.

I don't know about other states, but in WI you can register a vehicle at a weight different than it's actual GVWR. For example, I have farm plates on three vehicles, a Jeep Wrangler, an E250 delivery van, and my K3500 dually. Minimum weight class on the registration form for farm plates is 12,000, so that's what they're all registered at. So, I think you can just register a trailer at 9,999# instead of actually having it derated from the factory.
Got some friends that have horses and in the warmer time of the year they travel a lot. First they were using a single axle semi with sleeper they had got a RV title for with a three axle horse trailer 21,000 rating with farm trailer plates. No CDL. They went all over the country for years no problem truck had a sign RV not for hire on side. They never stopped at scales. I told them a couple times about the 10,000 rule. I have a full blown CDL with medical card. I run farm plates also because we are farmers. This trailer of theirs empty was way over 10,000. So fast forward a couple years ago they were in southern KS on a Sunday morning headed for home. Got stopped by a new be DOT and got the book thrown at them. Can't pull those heavy trailers behind a RV plated truck without CDL's , log books and lot more. It all went bad as he has a fair amount of money and doesn't like to say yes sir. He ended up in jail for the day. Monday came he got a lawyer involved spend a lot of money and still had to pay the tickets. Had the whole rig towed back home. Today they have a big diesel pusher motor home with a custom built horse trailer with a 9,999 GVW VIN plate on it.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy to be able to run farm plates on my stuff. It sure makes everything easier.
Yes they do. You just have to make sure if your running out of state with a trailer all your I's are dotted and your T's are crossed. Any more with the Internet if I need something hauled a long distance I hire it done. I had a antique plow I bought in Montana last year. I had planned to go pick it up then ended up with shoulder surgery in the spring. Put it on a couple web sites a guy called that was in the area going back to Mo he brought it to Ne for $500 bucks I couldn't even start my pickup for that.

Place I used to work at ran chevy 3500 work trucks with a tool box bed. They scaled out near 12,500. And then we would pull a 5000 lb trailer behind it on the regular. He would only register the trucks to 10,000. The amount of money he saved on under registering the trucks, would cover the cost of one over weight ticket.

One guy bucked the system and said it was his license on the line for the boss being cheep. He was shortly fired. I knew the writing was on the wall for me to so I left.

What is a Class A CDL? A Class A commercial driver's license is required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, to include a towed vehicle that is HEAVIER than 10,000 lbs.
CDL Class (A, B, and C) Licenses | DMV.ORG

https://www.dmv.org/commercial-drivers/cdl-class-types.php

When you read class B it explains any vehicle weighing 26,001lbs or greater. Next it says vehicle described above towing 10,000lbs or less.
The 10K or less trailer allows tree companies to tow a chipper behind their bucket trucks on a class B even though the combo is over 26,001lbs.
There’s no requirement for a cdl with a trailer over 10K if the combo is less than 26,001lbs. I ran a 12,400lb bp dump for years behind my 9K pickup. I was inspected on numerous occasions by the commercial enforcement division of our State Police. That was on a class B. I had to re test for my class A when I went to an 18,500lb gn. A cdl is a federal lic and is federally regulated. Your state may require different non cdl license for any combo the choose based on wt but they cant force anybody into a cdl if it doesn’t meet federal requirements.

I grandfathered into a CDL class A back when it first started. I Had a regular class A before that. My son drive a small bucket truck, under 26001lbs and drives out of state and he has to have a ClassC cdl and medical card because the truck is commercial and crosses state lines. Lots of little rules and regs that are misunderstoodby even by those charged with enforceing the laws. 40 years of towing trailers across the contry and never got a ticket, but have sat on the guardrail while the dot tried to figure out if I was or wasnot legal.

They tried forcing all small trailers to be inspected. It only lasted 1 year and they stopped requiring inspections on all trailers.

Back