New chain vs sharpened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lent my nice freshly restored little red and yellow axe to a slasher one day so he could work. I kinda forgot about it during the job. I never saw it again. And I can't remember who it was.

I guess he needed it more than I did, even though it was my favourite little axe.

@Trx250r180

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/axes-for-wedging.288747/page-6

The one on the right is the real deal you get on the coast The other a fake that you get up north. If I can I will get the 36" handle or 27" and cit off at 20-22" so you are left with a straight handle. the one in the avitar was too short to do that so I trimed the knob of with my saw as the handles are designed for chopping.
when the axe head tapers that way then it's going to be hard to hot one wedge in a stack at chest height..But when its a low cut in cold whether you split them down the middle and end up with 2 10" wedges. I have had them a little narrower than that one on the left and its trouble on the wedges. too much force in a small area when crossing the axe and wedge. To each there own. If guys don't have to carry it on their back and swing out at highs often and are lifting heavier wood then....

@Trx250r180

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/axes-for-wedging.288747/page-6

The one on the right is the real deal you get on the coast The other a fake that you get up north. If I can I will get the 36" handle or 27" and cit off at 20-22" so you are left with a straight handle. the one in the avitar was too short to do that so I trimed the knob of with my saw as the handles are designed for chopping.
when the axe head tapers that way then it's going to be hard to hot one wedge in a stack at chest height..But when its a low cut in cold whether you split them down the middle and end up with 2 10" wedges. I have had them a little narrower than that one on the left and its trouble on the wedges. too much force in a small area when crossing the axe and wedge. To each there own. If guys don't have to carry it on their back and swing out at highs often and are lifting heavier wood then....
I like my arvika and keen kutter for wedges .who makes the redhead ?

Latest posts

Back