Equipment advice for 50cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukpad

Woodbooger "newb"
Reaction score
First post. Sorry if this was covered a million times but I didn't see much about using equipment as small as my stuff.

I'm very new to milling and I have a Husqvarna 550xp for my largest power saw. I played around with my 550 with a 20" bar and a Husqvarna semi chisle chain. Using a Granberg small mill. Made a live edge shelf out of somes shell bark hickory. I am happy with the results but I know I can do better.

There just isn't much info as I searched for things like .325 ripping chain or milling with small saws.

I'm tempted to covert the 550 to 3/8 and spend the money on a good 24" bar and maybe get a skipchain to make the 550. It handles a 20" bar just fine for me but it's just a thought.

I don't have a ton of money but what chain can a .325 run and besides home owner bars what's the best? Or should I convert to 3/8?

Attachments

• IMG_20190101_113146700.jpg
    IMG_20190101_113146700.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190101_113137226.jpg
    IMG_20190101_113137226.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
I think the .325 would suit your situation better. Smaller cutters so it requires a little less power than 3/8. I don't know if you can get .325 skip. I run Stihl RS chain for milling. Just keep it sharp and it does great. Your saw is a bit small and Hickory is hard as hell so just don't expect miracles. I'm not trying to be a jerk so don't take it wrong. Milling just requires more power than regular cutting. For occasional projects, it'll work but if you plan on doing a lot of milling, you'll want a bigger saw.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah I understand the power concern. I won't think twice about dropping and bucking a 30" hickory with a 550 but milling a 16" log I get it. It definitely isn't a fast process milling with this saw.

I work for a power line clearance crew in New England so I have more free wood than I could ever need. Definitely plan on milling lots but untill I can afford a 70+ cc saw this is what I got. Maybe I'll buy a few loops and a sugihara 20" .325... And a planner... Probably best to keep to 20" unless I can find a skip tooth in .325 not that there are many bar options bigger anyway

A 20" in bar in normal cutting conditions is at the limit of that saw IMO. Good way to ruin a nice saw quick. You could easily sell that and trade up to a nice used 70cc or bigger unit, which would be much better suited to what you are looking to do. If you burn up the 550 you have nothing...

A 20" in bar in normal cutting conditions is at the limit of that saw IMO. Good way to ruin a nice saw quick. You could easily sell that and trade up to a nice used 70cc or bigger unit, which would be much better suited to what you are looking to do. If you burn up the 550 you have nothing...

Good point. I actually need the 550 for my side hustle that I occasionally do. I probably should just wait till I can get a bigger saw. I would hate to run a bigger saw all day up in the tree if I lost my 550

Maybe look into one of these clone saws for about $300. Basically a 660 knockoff. Guys seem to be impressed for the price. As cuinrearview said, why risk busting up a good saw that just isn't up to the task.

Maybe look into one of these clone saws for about $300. Basically a 660 knockoff. Guys seem to be impressed for the price. As cuinrearview said, why risk busting up a good saw that just isn't up to the task.

Forgot to add pic
3f7c147174b864c6fd209cb5bd3aaddf.jpg

Don't waste your time with the Chinese junk. The guys that like them are OK with constantly swapping bad parts out. If you want to work on a saw find a burned up OEM saw and re-build it. You can have mechanically new all OEM for the same $$.

Don't waste your time with the Chinese junk. The guys that like them are OK with constantly swapping bad parts out. If you want to work on a saw find a burned up OEM saw and re-build it. You can have mechanically new all OEM for the same $$.

I have a Chinese pit bike and I imagine the saws are about the same... Lol... I have parts 550s and 372s at my job so I might be best off just nabbing a 372 down the road. I would love to get me a 572 but I bet they will be $$$$$.

I have a Chinese pit bike and I imagine the saws are about the same... Lol... I have parts 550s and 372s at my job so I might be best off just nabbing a 372 down the road. I would love to get me a 572 but I bet they will be $$$$$.
Ex-tree service 372s are perfect for rebuilding. If your company ever wants to sell off any, or the 550s for that matter, drop me a PM.

Back