Yet another sealant question..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's a metal to plastic machine flange fit, designed to be sealed with sealant. No gasket used by the factory. The reported sealant that Electrolux used is not even on ebay here, but it is from international sellers. Something 781 I think.

There's a video of one of the guys in this thread showing his 515 failure (that's not in this thread--in this thread is when he says hey, use this) BUT he's used 1184 since (as shown in that vid). This thread keeps kicking up when I search, so it needed updating for accurate reference sake.

I have Threebond 1184 in route. Dunn tinkin' 'bout it for a spell. The thing is that search results don't autmagically sort by date so old gets mixed with new. fin
You’re responding to a 2014 post, but you are correct.

Hi for these husqvarna engine with the half plastic crankcase, the factory recommends Dow Corning 3140. It is a clear solvent free silicone and is compatible with the plastic crankcase. I've used this on the husqvarna 225 brushcutter, so far 10 years still going strong.

20190109_082510.jpg
20190109_083044.jpg

This stuff works very well if used correctly... which means you must ignore the directions on the package.
With this chainsaw cylinder application it only needs applied to the case. Doubling up on the cylinder base leaves an excessive amount and will squeeze out to make contact with the piston skirt.
It also says wait one minute which is wrong for any application. It isn't anaerobic like loctite and will stay wet too long if you don't let it cure before mating the parts together. It works like rubber cement on a bicycle tire patch...it bonds after it dries up and turns into a soft rubber layer. It also makes it easy to use an exacto-knife to trim up the inside edge to prevent oozing inside the bore.
It is almost the same exact stuff as threebond or yamabond. I say almost because it adheres better to the surface when applying it with a q tip... less slippery I guess I could say. And it doesn't have that strong fume odor that melts your brain. I've never had it strong enough to make me want to air out the shop like threebond has.

You’re responding to a 2014 post, but you are correct.

Yes, that was mentioned already. That's what "BUMP" refers to in the text above. Because this thread it pops up every single time I hit a search trying to find relevant information.

And if a pilgrim came along and read that thread he would be buying 515 or similar and just might not be happy about it.

Because every single person on this site appears to have his own pet case sealant. But that some that work fine for metal to metal are -not- rated for plastic. And then you have 2000 guys saying "don't use silicone" for gas...

And here comes another silicone that's rated to work. But I don't see where it specifies plastic.

So I bought Threebond 1184 and will use it and see just exacty how that works. If I had enough scratch to buy one of each, I'd buy another saw.

I've got mine, and I'll use it. I've already wasted way too much time trying to nail one down by the manufacturer or anyone else's opinions. Time to smear and see.

Yes, that was mentioned already. That's what "BUMP" refers to in the text above. Because this thread it pops up every single time I hit a search trying to find relevant information.

And if a pilgrim came along and read that thread he would be buying 515 or similar and just might not be happy about it.

Because every single person on this site appears to have his own pet case sealant. But that some that work fine for metal to metal are -not- rated for plastic. And then you have 2000 guys saying "don't use silicone" for gas...

And here comes another silicone that's rated to work. But I don't see where it specifies plastic.

So I bought Threebond 1184 and will use it and see just exacty how that works. If I had enough scratch to buy one of each, I'd buy another saw.

I've got mine, and I'll use it. I've already wasted way too much time trying to nail one down by the manufacturer or anyone else's opinions. Time to smear and see.
Give her hell and get back to us!:cool:

Back