026 carb help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendigo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've been lurking here for months reading your inputs as I learn more about chainsaws. I've been a user on the farm and as an intern with the USFS, but never got too deep into the inner workings. Now I need to ask for expertise on a few things as I try to bring some of them back to life.

I picked up a Stihl 026 a while back that doesn't want to start. Compression is strong at 160 PSI. It's got spark. Fuel spills from the fuel line when I pull it off the carb.

The carburetor looks pristine (Walbro WT194), but there was no gasket behind it. I think that could be introducing unwanted air into the system. I'm wondering if that could be what's causing my problems? The fuel and impulse lines look good, but I plan to replace them due to the age of the saw. I don't know what the previous owner did or didn't already replace.

I want to keep this one as my little saw, so I'd appreciate any advice on getting the fuel system cleaned up. The MS260 Pro and 028 Super in my signature are both going to new homes, so I'd like to get this one running sooner rather than later.

I appreciate any help you can give!

Welcome. The WT194 may look pristine outside but be ugly inside....debris in screen, stiff diaphragms, holes under welch plug varnished up. Needs disassembly, cleaning and probably a rebuild kit. The gasket is needed for normal running but absence won't prevent starting. Try a tsp of fuel done carb throat (or plug hole) and see if you get a 1-2 sec run after 10-20 pulls.

Thanks, Doug. It looks like a rebuild kit will run me around $19 and a new WT194 would be about $42. For the small difference in price, do you think there's any benefit in doing a rebuild over a replacement?

I appreciate it, Jim. It looks like some of the Chinese carbs include a gasket, but most don't. I ordered a new Walbro with no gasket. I'll probably get a kit to rebuild the first carb for practice.

As Jim says, typically no gasket on Stihl pro saws. I have seen it once of twice, but never on a factory saw. There should be the boot with an inner and outer metal ring only.

You can also buy a China clone carb for under 20 bucks, or a real Walbro 194 for around $42 delivered off eBay.

It’s annoying to buy the $15 rebuild kit only to find that the carb still just isn’t right. Sometimes it’s just easier to spend another $25 and be done, play with the other as a spare.

There are 2 fuel lines for the 026. One straight (smaller diameter through the tank grommet area) and the newer/better S shaped line. The S will be easier to find and the tank can be opened up to allow its use. A quick peek into the tank would tell you what you have.

I appreciate it, Jim. It looks like some of the Chinese carbs include a gasket, but most don't. I ordered a new Walbro with no gasket. I'll probably get a kit to rebuild the first carb for practice.
The kits for the wt carbs cover many different applications, so there will always be extra parts not used.

I recommend going with the S -shaped hose. The extra length makes it easier to pull the fuel filter out of the tank for changing.

You don't get an option between the two fuel hoses unless you change the tank/handle to the newer version. The straight fuel hose has a smaller grommet than the s shaped one.

I ordered the straight one since the current one is also straight. I read that it was more of a pain, but I think the s-shaped line is too big to fit.

The hose I changed was on an MS250. I switched them but maybe I was not supposed to be able to do that, or maybe the hose grommet was the same size on both versions. Hmm.

Back