Help me guys, I messed up!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm working on a 550xp for a local tree guy. The saw is not oiling. In my haste to remove the clutch using my normal method of starter rope in the spark plug hole, I accidentally got the rope caught in the exhaust port. I still didnt get the clutch off and now the saw is bound up solid. What are my options here? I pulled the recoil off and tried to turn the crank the other way with a ratchet but I'm afraid I'm gonna break the crank. I pulled the muffler and I can see the bit of rope poking through but I cannot see the piston rings so its wedged in there good

Why not just hit it with an impact?
Hit what with the impact? The clutch threads to the shaft, no nut. Surely not going to try to turn the motor with an impact I can guarantee that will break the crank. Been there done that.

Hit what with the impact? The clutch threads to the shaft, no nut. Surely not going to try to turn the motor with an impact I can guarantee that will break the crank. Been there done that.
Ic I thought you were trying to get a nut off.

That aside sometimes some gentle vibration on the thread area will free stuff up. Plastic hammer

Thanks, at this point I'm more concerned with getting the motor to.turn and getting the piece of starter rope out than getting the clutch off lol.

I guess you could pull the carb/ intake boot and take a look. Burn the rope out with a torch lol. You’ll be able to get it out, just watch the exhaust side as you force it up as the piston will be pressed hard against that side of the cylinder...

Please, I'm all ears, where did I go wrong? The only two ways that I know to .keep the crank from turning are a mechanical piston stop which I have been scared would crack a piston or the rope trick. This clutch threds onto the crank with LH thread and lacks any kind of hex to remove it so an impact gun is out. I assume there is some kind of proprietary tool to remove it that I do not own.

Back