Help me guys, I messed up!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please, I'm all ears, where did I go wrong? The only two ways that I know to .keep the crank from turning are a mechanical piston stop which I have been scared would crack a piston or the rope trick. This clutch threds onto the crank with LH thread and lacks any kind of hex to remove it so an impact gun is out. I assume there is some kind of proprietary tool to remove it that I do not own.
Clutch removal tool can be driven with an impact. Just blip the impact, don’t hammer it like it’s a lug nut.

Well I got frustrated and felt really dumb for doing this in the first place so I went back at it after supper. A lot of wd40 and force finally got the engine to turn back the other way and I got the rope out.
Then a little searching on this site which I should have done in the first place, revealed the notches in the clutch meant for a scrunch and hammer. A screw driver and a couple whacks and it was off. Now to figure out why it's not oiling. I will probably start a different thread for that if I cant find the info i need searching.

Im interested in the saws original problem. Nice work overcoming the hiccup with the rope and not damaging it.

Don't feel bad . I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago. Since then I fold the rope in two making what is called a bight then put it into the plug hole . I then bring piston up slowly making sure it isn't going to get caught in a port. No more problems since then. I don't care what anyone says if your not using an impact then the rope method makes a nice if not the best piston stop and you don't have to worry too much about punching a hole in the top of a piston which is very easy to do if you run into a stubborn clutch using a metal or even one of those crazy crooked plastic stops from Stihl. It doesn't have to be a big saw either to run into a stubborn clutch and damage a piston with a stop other than a rope.

These days I am using an impact every chance I get . I remove any and all things that can hamper the movement of the piston that means the entire starter recoil, plug and decomp valve if the saw has one.

Glad you got it unstuck . I guarantee you will not make the same mistake again .

Did you visually look at the oil screen
Honestly no, I just went right for the pump. It isn't oiling at all, I figured the plastic gear would have been trashed but it all looks fine back there. I will dig deeper tomorrow.

Can't resist this one . Probably isn't the problem. A short while ago a thread popped up about oil tank vents getting plugged causing an oiler not to work . It could happen:chainsaw:

I learned not to use rope the same way. Luckily I was moving slow and felt it right away. Now i always use an impact when I can and if rope is all i have I turn the piston past the exhaust port before inserting the rope.

I learned not to use rope the same way. Luckily I was moving slow and felt it right away. Now i always use an impact when I can and if rope is all i have I turn the piston past the exhaust port before inserting the rope.

Air impact wrench with spark plug left in (no piston stop) has never failed me for flywheel nut or clutch removal. For reassembly I do not use an impact wrench, but use a soft 1/4 to 3/8" rope stuffed into the exhaust port after visually checking that the piston is just past the top of the exhaust port. Use torque wrench to specs. This also has never failed.

You asked what you did wrong , most people at one time or another used a rope or something to stop the piston's travel. Just be sure that the piston top is above the top of the intake/ exhaust port so it cannot become wedged. I used to use a piece of broken fan belt when I was in high school I saw a rope get stuck so I feel your pain ha ha. There is a kit out there on Amazon or e-bay and probably many other places that has some red plastic ring compressors a red plastic bridge for installing a piston and a white plastic shaped like a "L" that is made for a piston stop I recommend you find one of these kits and buy it. They cost like $10.00 or something, I use the ring compression squeeze clamps and the bridge that are very handy. I will go look for one now and see if I can add a link so you can see it. I found one it looks like it has added another piston stop this time a small black one.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Piston-Ring-...-502507001/1254045450?iid=301014373696&chn=ps

Back