Husqvarna Diagnostic Software required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPalmer

Reaction score
Hello!

First off what a great forum with so much information!

I have recently acquired the Husqvarna diagnostic equipment from ebay. I was lucky as it was too come with the CD software. (as far as I know the early model came with a CD and now you have too download the software from husqvarna if you are a dealer)

Problem is he forgot too put the CD in the first package so he posted it on after 1st class but ive been waiting over a week for it and I think it has been lost in transit!

So basically would anyone have a copy of the Husqvarna Engine Diagnostic Tool software that they are willing too share?

I have a 560XP that I think just needs reset.

Thanks

You have to get your firmware updates from or through a dealer with access to Husqvarna's service. Even though you have the bits and pieces, the ability to connect and update is a dealer only function. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Usually dealers are pretty reasonable so buying all that stuff would not be a savings anyway. If you were close by I could point you to at least three dealers that would do that for you here where I am. But......your on another continent.

Hello!

I have recently acquired the Husqvarna diagnostic equipment from ebay. I was lucky as it was too come with the CD software. (as far as I know the early model came with a CD and now you have too download the software from husqvarna if you are a dealer)

Problem is he forgot too put the CD in the first package so he posted it on after 1st class but ive been waiting over a week for it and I think it has been lost in transit!

So basically would anyone have a copy of the Husqvarna Engine Diagnostic Tool software that they are willing too share?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. But to ask for something like that on your first post is at minimal a little tacky. A lot of guys here do for each other, but after you earned yourself a reputation of being part of the forum and not some stranger just looking for a freebie because this forum meets the possibility of having what you need. Earn your stripes before sitting at the table. I apologize in advance for my out spoken opinion.

You have to get your firmware updates from or through a dealer with access to Husqvarna's service. Even though you have the bits and pieces, the ability to connect and update is a dealer only function. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Usually dealers are pretty reasonable so buying all that stuff would not be a savings anyway. If you were close by I could point you to at least three dealers that would do that for you here where I am. But......your on another continent.

I see, thank you for your reply!

Welcome to the forum. But to ask for something like that on your first post is at minimal a little tacky. A lot of guys here do for each other, but after you earned yourself a reputation of being part of the forum and not some stranger just looking for a freebie because this forum meets the possibility of having what you need. Earn your stripes before sitting at the table. I apologize in advance for my out spoken opinion.

yes sorry I totally get that and I apologise.

Hello!

Thanks

This is why I am dumping all my auto tune saws and going back to carbs. Until they allow us to buy this tool or plug the saw in to our computer for updates I will be sticking with carbs.

Anyone know where a not-so-newbie can get the software? Time to take the plunge. nobody in our town can work on these things, and I want a new tool.

Anyone know where a not-so-newbie can get the software? Time to take the plunge. nobody in our town can work on these things, and I want a new tool.
Fork out the investment to be a dealer and you will have access to those things...:) Part of the package. Unless you work for a dealer that's the only way.

Not happening. We are Stihl Elite. It's not worth losing that for the few Husky repair jobs that come in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not happening. We are Stihl Elite. It's not worth losing that for the few Husky repair jobs that come in.

Maybe you can show us how to get the Stihl Diagnostic System and all its updates...:) Or does that sentiment apply there as well?
BTW why do you have to have that saw running again?

I've yet to have an M-Tronic come in. I know we've sold a few but I guess they've been cherry. I've used the MDG analyzer a few times but to me it's not faster or better than using a tachometer. if I had some duty made station for using it I'd probably use it all the time, but the set up now takes longer than the tuning!

Maybe you can show us how to get the Stihl Diagnostic System and all its updates...:) Or does that sentiment apply there as well?
BTW why do you have to have that saw running again?
I don't have to get the 562 running. The customer is a tree company that buys pretty much all Stihl from us anyway. They were on an away-from-home job, and an old 044 gave up. They bought the first pro saw they could get locally, which was the 562. I just WANT to fix it. They have already had enough of Autotune thanks to the EL46 carb. They're replacing it with a Stihl, but hoping to limp it along until the 500i is buy-able.

I don't have to get the 562 running. The customer is a tree company that buys pretty much all Stihl from us anyway. They were on an away-from-home job, and an old 044 gave up. They bought the first pro saw they could get locally, which was the 562. I just WANT to fix it. They have already had enough of Autotune thanks to the EL46 carb. They're replacing it with a Stihl, but hoping to limp it along until the 500i is buy-able.

500i will be pretty cool with fuel injection, but I'm sure that will have its hickups also.
[emoji1696]

I don't have to get 562's running either, they run pretty good right out of the box. Haven't seen a el46 in a while on the pro used saws, the local dealer upgraded most to 48's years ago. BUT I do have my share of 441's and now 461's that need to be plugged in. Its harder so I don't do as many. Their M-tronic is actually pretty much the same stuff as Husqvarna's, even made by the same folks. Makes me chuckle when folks try to differentiate between the two. One thing I can tell YOU is using both "diagnostic" tools, is the Husqvarna's version is way ahead of Stihl's in terms of access and ease of use, one of the reasons the 562's here get constant attention and updates...its quick and easy to accomplish. But as an old man I understand the "splitting" hairs many use to try and trumpet one brand vs. another. Both make excellent saws. Both have very effective shop tools and support. Having worked on both for a while, both the Autotunes have their quirks and twists when doing repairs. Bottom line for me is once I start hearings the bias, either direction; I pretty much tune the source out with regard to any real analysis. Understanding a poke here and there is about fun and not too serious as well. And new products from both are improvements, the "MK2" from Husqvarna and the new saw from Stihl will yet again move the bar. You younger folks are very fortunate to be able to live and experience this point in saw time....probable within 20 years these gas powered saws will be done.

Maybe you can show us how to get the Stihl Diagnostic System and all its updates...:)

We have had this offer from at least one local Husky dealer. I think there was cash in there too.... That did not happen, though I am sure there are folks who can be bought.

I don't have to get 562's running either, they run pretty good right out of the box. Haven't seen a el46 in a while on the pro used saws, the local dealer upgraded most to 48's years ago. BUT I do have my share of 441's and now 461's that need to be plugged in. Its harder so I don't do as many. Their M-tronic is actually pretty much the same stuff as Husqvarna's, even made by the same folks. Makes me chuckle when folks try to differentiate between the two. One thing I can tell YOU is using both "diagnostic" tools, is the Husqvarna's version is way ahead of Stihl's in terms of access and ease of use, one of the reasons the 562's here get constant attention and updates...its quick and easy to accomplish. But as an old man I understand the "splitting" hairs many use to try and trumpet one brand vs. another. Both make excellent saws. Both have very effective shop tools and support. Having worked on both for a while, both the Autotunes have their quirks and twists when doing repairs. Bottom line for me is once I start hearings the bias, either direction; I pretty much tune the source out with regard to any real analysis. Understanding a poke here and there is about fun and not too serious as well. And new products from both are improvements, the "MK2" from Husqvarna and the new saw from Stihl will yet again move the bar. You younger folks are very fortunate to be able to live and experience this point in saw time....probable within 20 years these gas powered saws will be done.

I am not trashing AutoTune. I have as many Husky saws as Stihl. My absolute favorite ever is the 390xp. I want to learn about the AutoTune. Since nobody in the area is able to properly troubleshoot it, and its not going away, I was hoping to befriend the technology. Our approach up until now has been to just sell them a Stihl instead. I strongly agree that the MDG-1 is clunky. When I got the email about exchanging it, I was hopeful that it would be something simple (like a USB cord that plugs directly into the computer), but it was not. For now, the M-tronic saws can be troubleshot and reset nearly 100% of the time without the box anyway, and the closest thing I have heard to a firmware update is the re-release of the 441. It's sure to come on the Fuel Injected models though.

We have had this offer from at least one local Husky dealer. I think there was cash in there too.... That did not happen, though I am sure there are folks who can be bought.

I am not trashing AutoTune. I have as many Husky saws as Stihl. My absolute favorite ever is the 390xp. I want to learn about the AutoTune. Since nobody in the area is able to properly troubleshoot it, and its not going away, I was hoping to befriend the technology. Our approach up until now has been to just sell them a Stihl instead. .

The premise you set is the Autotune technology has to be debugged? But it doesn't is the point; from either company. Individual saws will, as all saw from any technology do. And the funny thing I've seen in conversation is when a particular saw has an issue, its always the Autotune that's perceived to be the problem when in fact as all saws the likely hood of other issues, ones that aren't related to Autotune, are the problem. Air leaks, compression, carb failures, fuel & seals etc. The second derivative of that is many working on those saws give up before they even do the basics, compression testing, leak down tests etc. all those things any saw would require. The CST really is as much about giving tools to help debug as anything. Very rarely have I found the CST was actually required to fix anything. But I have found CST can really quickly either support a direction for repair or help me move to the correct one should I have missed the diagnosis....

Did a video on the subject actually.

The premise you set is the Autotune technology has to be debugged? But it doesn't is the point; from either company. Individual saws will, as all saw from any technology do. And the funny thing I've seen in conversation is when a particular saw has an issue, its always the Autotune that's perceived to be the problem when in fact as all saws the likely hood of other issues, ones that aren't related to Autotune, are the problem. Air leaks, compression, carb failures, fuel & seals etc. The second derivative of that is many working on those saws give up before they even do the basics, compression testing, leak down tests etc. all those things any saw would require. The CST really is as much about giving tools to help debug as anything. Very rarely have I found the CST was actually required to fix anything. But I have found CST can really quickly either support a direction for repair or help me move to the correct one should I have missed the diagnosis....

Did a video on the subject actually.

I didn't intend to set any premise. The story is that none of the Husqvarna dealers in our area have any ability (or interest) in troubleshooting the saws with AT on them. If the saw doesn't run right, THEY blame it on the AT and tell the customer they are unable to fix it. Our shop has a varied reputation depending on who you ask, but often the AT saws end up on my bench because nobody else will touch them. As you state, it's generally an air leak or something else. I'm trying to make friends with this technology. I never said anything about it needing debugged, nor do I think that's the case. I've never been to the Husqvarna factory (though I did sneak into the corporate headquarters in Stockholm one day behind the UPS man...) but the parking lot in VA beach where the engineers park is filled with nice cars. These guys know what they're doing. If the troubleshooting technology for independent shops is not available yet, it will be. I have VAG COM for my VWs, and OBD eleven also exists. These programs can do everything the dealer's mega-bucks machine can, and in some cases more. The aftermarket will make this available at some point. I guess I'll get it then.

I didn't intend to set any premise. The story is that none of the Husqvarna dealers in our area have any ability (or interest) in troubleshooting the saws with AT on them. If the saw doesn't run right, THEY blame it on the AT and tell the customer they are unable to fix it. Our shop has a varied reputation depending on who you ask, but often the AT saws end up on my bench because nobody else will touch them. As you state, it's generally an air leak or something else. I'm trying to make friends with this technology. I never said anything about it needing debugged, nor do I think that's the case. I've never been to the Husqvarna factory (though I did sneak into the corporate headquarters in Stockholm one day behind the UPS man...) but the parking lot in VA beach where the engineers park is filled with nice cars. These guys know what they're doing. If the troubleshooting technology for independent shops is not available yet, it will be. I have VAG COM for my VWs, and OBD eleven also exists. These programs can do everything the dealer's mega-bucks machine can, and in some cases more. The aftermarket will make this available at some point. I guess I'll get it then.

Actually I have seen similar issues in the area's around me. The Stihl effort to get the dealers engaged seems more aggressive/effective therefore those dealers have invested to get their techs trained. Husqvarna has training more to get the dealers engaged with the stuff, but I haven't seen any follow on applications oriented training. Its more about how to get started, then call the main support folks from that point on. The shame is the CST has more to offer, splitting hairs I know; but it does. Really it can be a cost saver especially with dealers where the service tech's have to span many product lines. Always wondered why BOTH companies keep that stuff proprietary. I suspect they feel it in some way helps meeting EPA regulations by having more control of the sold products and service. Auto motive and other industries have had code readers and analysis tools available that are even more sophisticated for decades. My humble opinion is if this was more available, situations that you describe where Husqvarna dealers have dropped the ball, other small engine or saw shops could help with the customer base. A win for all involved. But bean counters & corporate marketing types don't seem to think that way. If anything they seem to push for even larger power sports type dealer complexes that centralize all those types of things. The small saw shop is harder and harder to find with the major brands, partly because they can't and don't want to be in the business of selling and supporting the entire set of products from hand held to lawn mowers. They want to pick and choose what sells in their area...:) Another story.

Back