Stihl ms250 help, new engine, will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panther314

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 8 year old Stihl ms250. I just replaced the engine with a brand new OEM Stihl. Everything else was from the original 8 year old saw.
Currently it is hard to pull. I have purchased additional plastic pawgs for the pull start because they are breaking when trying to start. If I remove the spark plug it feels normal.
Also seems to be pulling alot of fuel into the carb. I removed the air filter and see fuel behind the carb in the black plastic air filter holder. I wipe it dry and take out the spark plug, but it just repeats right away. Spark plug is also wet when removed.
I pulled apart the carb and it looks clean and set it to the factory settings for high low and air screws which are also on the side of the saws housing.
Any help would be welcomed.

Good times! It should at least try to rip if it’s going to.
I have a 8 year old Stihl ms250. I just replaced the engine with a brand new OEM Stihl. Everything else was from the original 8 year old saw.
Currently it is hard to pull. I have purchased additional plastic pawgs for the pull start because they are breaking when trying to start. If I remove the spark plug it feels normal.
Also seems to be pulling alot of fuel into the carb. I removed the air filter and see fuel behind the carb in the black plastic air filter holder. I wipe it dry and take out the spark plug, but it just repeats right away. Spark plug is also wet when removed.
I pulled apart the carb and it looks clean and set it to the factory settings for high low and air screws which are also on the side of the saws housing.
Any help would be welcomed.

This sounds like it doesn’t make sense but I had the same issue on my 038 mag. Finally found out the carb was dumping too much fuel. I rebuilt the carb and set the jets and it immediately got a lot easier to pull start.

Ok engine dried out and spark plug dry. Engine almost started saw smoke and is super wet again.

I can pull slowly and displace the fuel and spin the engine but it seems like way too much fuel.

Do you think this is carb diaphragms?

Also just to check all bases, the coil has a plastic wheel that holds the rope. I torqued the flywheel as specified and made sure it wasn't hitting the crankcase. Then I installed the pull start. I do not see how to set a gap between the flywheel and plastic wheel of the pull start on the Stihl.

Ah, yes I did do this business card between flywheel and coil then torqued to correct specification. This is not the issue.

Going to buy a carb rebuild kit.

Sounds like you have a simple flooding problem that is a carb issue. The usual causes are an inlet valve that is not seating properly, a control lever that is set too high or a gasket that is on the wrong side of the fuel control diaphragm. Do a simple pressure test by blowing into the fuel inlet port of the carb, you should not be able to blow any air in. If you have a pressure tester, it should hold a minimum of 5psi. Does this saw have a primer bulb?

Long story short the lip on the engine on the clutch side broke off.

I tried without using the choke and still flooded.

There is no primer bulb.

I will try the blow test

Latest posts

Back