Axes... Best bang for the buck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Payson Oberly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to buy an axe... Something useful overall. Would be used a lot for pounding wedges for felling. Not necessarily slamming wedges for big ol trees, but the occasional use. Wanting some input on some 'budget' axes perhaps? Or ones folks like more than others at various price points. Thanks in advance!

I have a Hults Bruk Akka forest axe and feel like I got a premium axe for my money. Light 1.5 lb. head on a 24" handle for fast swing speed. Perfectly sized companion axe for the forest, IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It might be possible to get by with just one axe, but I’ve found different types, sizes and weights work better for certain situations.
I have a couple of old double bitted axes that work great if the wood isn’t too knotty or crooked. I can swing them for a longer time than I can a big maul. If the wood is too tough, an axe isn’t going to work as well as a heavy maul.
For in between stuff I’ve had good luck with the Fiskars X27. I purchased the X25, but I’m fairly tall and didn’t like the shorter handle as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't beat vintage axes. Get on ebay, pick out the head you want, go to house handle or beaver tooth .com, order the handle you want, build it yourself. Pre- chanisaw axe heads really get the job done.
+ 1You can get good Plumb, Collins, or True Temper Axe heads often for the price of a cheap hardware store Chinese axes. Then get a good Hickory handle, and you'll have an axe you'll enjoy and be proud of for the rest of your life.

Loo
Looking to buy an axe... Something useful overall. Would be used a lot for pounding wedges for felling. Not necessarily slamming wedges for big ol trees, but the occasional use. Wanting some input on some 'budget' axes perhaps? Or ones folks like more than others at various price points. Thanks in advance!
Look at Madsen's, council 3.5 or 4 pound fallers axe, both less than $50.

Council Tools gets my vote for a quality tool at the price.
made_in_usa-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back