MS180 Cylinder Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd35

Just an average Joe's brother!!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need to see photos of the compression release port on a factory machined 1130 20 1209 cylinder for an MS180 chainsaw. If anybody has one of these saws with the compression release option they could take and post photos of that would be very helpful. Or...if anybody knows where one of these cylinders can be purchased that would also be helpful.
Thanks

I need to see photos of the compression release port on a factory machined 1130 20 1209 cylinder for an MS180 chainsaw. If anybody has one of these saws with the compression release option they could take and post photos of that would be very helpful. Or...if anybody knows where one of these cylinders can be purchased that would also be helpful.
Thanks
Lol! :rolleyes:

Okay...the short story! Dad's 80 years old and has a bad shoulder. His injury has healed so that he actually can run a small saw just fine, but he can't pull the starter rope very hard without having a lot of pain. We were looking at my 018 and his MS170 and we noticed the 018 has that casting boss for a compression release. Wellllllll..........now Dad just thinks that would be the best thing since sliced bread if he had a compression release on his little saw. If I can figure this out...I'll put one in my 018 and trade him saws. He and I both know that there should be no reason to do this under normal circumstances.....but this is starting to attain a high level of "cool-factor" and so he really badly wants one! I may even put a 38mm aftermarket P/C in his 170. If I don't find a good pattern....I'll just put that AM cylinder on the mill/drill and give it my best guess. This is going to be fun!

Okay...the short story! Dad's 80 years old and has a bad shoulder. His injury has healed so that he actually can run a small saw just fine, but he can't pull the starter rope very hard without having a lot of pain. We were looking at my 018 and his MS170 and we noticed the 018 has that casting boss for a compression release. Wellllllll..........now Dad just thinks that would be the best thing since sliced bread if he had a compression release on his little saw. If I can figure this out...I'll put one in my 018 and trade him saws. He and I both know that there should be no reason to do this under normal circumstances.....but this is starting to attain a high level of "cool-factor" and so he really badly wants one! I may even put a 38mm aftermarket P/C in his 170. If I don't find a good pattern....I'll just put that AM cylinder on the mill/drill and give it my best guess. This is going to be fun!

Good on ya for helping him with "cool factor". At 80 years old, he's certainly earned whatever "cool" he wants.

Neither of my parents made it to 80 - lost my Dad at 64 years old - 22 years ago. Not a day goes by I don't miss him, even after all these years.

Enjoy your Dad.

X2 on the easy start recoil. Stihl has one on their smaller saws that you can wind it up and just push a button (throttle I think) the spring releases and it starts, takes lots of shock load off of lots of joints for sure. My granddad used one and still cut up into his 80's and probably still would if they let him.

Back