Any porting gurus want to chime in here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up this cylinder kit for a MS260. It is a Hyway kit. I am happy with the way the plating looks. However the exhaust port looks really small and the intake port doesn’t look that great. I’ve never done any porting work before. I also don’t have a flex shaft tool, so right now I am limited to a dremel. How much grinding should I do on these ports? I’m also concerned as to how much room I have to enlarge. I don’t want to have to enlarge the internal ports and have to re-bevel them, unless I really have to. Also the supplied Hyway rings or the get cabers. I already have oem circlips ordered.
35f69ccd57f4bac6c8ea96301fb15967.jpg
4d4cb8684f195bc1c7c5edf779a395b9.jpg
023d2753280361d94cdf8471c9886ee9.jpg
12af9618a590a431ff7f55ac678e600e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also it will be a little bit before I really get into the saw as my gasket set is on backorder from stihl.

The plating might not look bad but Wow is the rest ugly! I’m sure the ports can be opened and cleaned up. As a hobbyist I’m not going to offer any specific advise as I’m still honing my own skill, I’ll leave that to the experts. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ports appear to have the right shape where it's important. You won't gain anything by making them look nicer. Definitely take a piece of 1000 grit wet dry to the existing bevels to polish them up. Check to make sure the pin fits snug in both sides of the piston. And those oem circlips will likely be too skinny to fit correctly.

Not a porter but as a retired machinist that intake sucks. The Chinese quality control inspector’s name must have been Sum Ting Wong.
Nah , that work has One Hung Lo written all over it !

The ports appear to have the right shape where it's important. You won't gain anything by making them look nicer. Definitely take a piece of 1000 grit wet dry to the existing bevels to polish them up. Check to make sure the pin fits snug in both sides of the piston. And those oem circlips will likely be too skinny to fit correctly.

Thanks, I probably won’t change anything then. Except polish the bevels as you mentioned. I will measure the oem clips against the aftermarket ones. It does worry me that they aren’t earless clips.

Not a porter but as a retired machinist that intake sucks. The Chinese quality control inspector’s name must have been Sum Ting Wong.

It definitely is wonky for sure. That is probably the last Hyway kit I’ll buy. Oem or tecomec or meteor for me.

Maybe that oblong shape is to give you room to bolt the turbo on?

Leave them ports alone. Like Jim said, polish edges by hand if you want and run it.

I did a thread on the forbidden site showing the difference between a Huztl/meteor/Mahle 026 cylinder. I wish I could link it, but this place still censors anything with the name of the site in the text.

All the AM jugs have that visually tiny exhaust issue. Some of it is that it’s acually smaller and some is that the flange is wider. I’ve yet to find any that approach OEM Quality. The only one I’ve ever seen that comes close is NWP. I’ve got a kit I could let go if anyone wants it.

I’d probably run what you have there, piston/rings and all and take your chance. Contrary to popular belief, a bigger port in a 2 stroke isn’t necessarily a better port.

Leave them ports alone. Like Jim said, polish edges by hand if you want and run it.
Contrary to popular belief, a bigger port in a 2 stroke isn’t necessarily a better port.
True that ... it’s all about air-flow thru the engine

That plating may look good as is but seems to peal easy especially around the exhaust port if the port is opened up and the edges of the plating cut through even when beveled properly. Best not to open any of the ports on the inner walls that affect plating, a little reshaping out beyond the plating is ok but likely will not net any real gains. Polish the port bevels as already mentioned, try not to break through the plating any where but look for any loose balls of material in the transfer ports, seen a few where little balls were just waiting to pop off and will find its way into the cylinder.

The port beveling is is usually of the poorest carried out part of their cylinders and rings can catch on the almost non existent bevels or the direct opposite the bevels are huge gastly looking things. One set I handled had sharp edges with no bevels at all but if one was to put a nice bevel on it then the plating edges would be exposed , sent it back. Now I won`use anything but OEM, just not worth my time messing with AM.

I did a thread on the forbidden site showing the difference between a Huztl/meteor/Mahle 026 cylinder. I wish I could link it, but this place still censors anything with the name of the site in the text.

All the AM jugs have that visually tiny exhaust issue. Some of it is that it’s acually smaller and some is that the flange is wider. I’ve yet to find any that approach OEM Quality. The only one I’ve ever seen that comes close is NWP. I’ve got a kit I could let go if anyone wants it.

I’d probably run what you have there, piston/rings and all and take your chance. Contrary to popular belief, a bigger port in a 2 stroke isn’t necessarily a better port.

Thanks for the detailed answer I will leave the ports alone and run what I have. The oem circlips have already been ordered so if they are the same diameter wire, I’ll use them.

If. You’re interested, type in the search at the Verböten site

My Buddy Dave’s MS260 and an AM vs. OEM Jug Comparison

That certainly is interesting. I have bought a couple aftermarket cylinders before. This one certainly is the most wonky. I have a tecomec 365 top end kit that looks very nice. I also have bought a meteor ms440 kit and a MS441 kit. Both were very nice and the saws ran good afterwards. Oem was the best option here but I will just run what I bought. MS260s don’t seem to bring much money around here. I am already looking at about $100 in parts, cylinder and piston kit, oem bearings, and oem gasket/seal kit.

That plating may look good as is but seems to peal easy especially around the exhaust port if the port is opened up and the edges of the plating cut through even when beveled properly. Best not to open any of the ports on the inner walls that affect plating, a little reshaping out beyond the plating is ok but likely will not net any real gains. Polish the port bevels as already mentioned, try not to break through the plating any where but look for any loose balls of material in the transfer ports, seen a few where little balls were just waiting to pop off and will find its way into the cylinder.

I will leave the ports alone. I will check and make sure there are no balls of playing.

Latest posts

Back