Stihl MS 251 oiler not transferring to bar under load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveTwo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First time posting to the site, because as a homeowner using the saw for the last 5 years, I really haven't had any issues that haven't been common, and discoverable by searching. My use isn't terribly heavy, cut a few cords a year for 4 years to heat my house, and clean up my heavily treed (by NM standards) lot.

Now I'm in TX, cleaning up my new place, and wishing I had a more powerful saw. A little while ago I switched to a rim sprocket system due to the chain wanting to come off the factory style sprocket, the type that is integral with the drum. Since then I have had issues with the bar oil coming out everywhere but through the bar. When I test the oiling by running the saw, I do get a bit of oil spraying off the chain like I expect. I figured out yesterday, that it looks like one of the times the chain jumped it gacked up the plastic right next to the rubber output of the oiler.

My guess is that's enough to let the oil out next to the bar when I start cutting (and then out the top of the seam between saw and cover plate), but held free, it oils normally. Is it a terrible idea to try to scuff up the plate and build it up with JB weld putty? I can't find the part on any parts diagrams, and it looks like it's a major molded piece of the saw, not something easily replaceable, which I would prefer to do.

And while I would love to get a slightly more powerful saw, this is not the time of year to do so, and despite what my wife says, the one I have doesn't really have that much use on it. On the plus side, I've been keeping notes on what features I would prefer my next saw to have.

Here is what a new one looks like....
[SNIP]]

[Edited to add pictures correctly, it's been a while since I have hard-linked photos]

That's the part, do you have a common name or part number? Or does the building up with plastic epoxy stand a decent chance?

Here are pictures from mine:
A

IMG_20190120_175310-M.jpg

And in case it isn't painfully obvious:
A

IMG_20190120_175310-M.png

Thanks!

This is the engine housing. If you would like to have it like it is shown in HarleyT`s picture, you would need a complete new housing. There are 3 different ones, depending on the exact version of the saw. If you have the normal MS 251 the engine housing part no. is 1143 020 3023

Thanks! Looks like nothing is easily locatable online but you've given me something to call my dealer about. In the mean time, I ordered the PlasticWeld to try first. Replacing that bit looks like a decent project. Though it wouldn't hurt to order and have it on hand for replacing some time when I have extra free time.

Good excuse to find a saw on craigslist? One is none, Two is one, just like I say for other things in my life!

Latest posts

Back