Tree Behind House - Damaged by Adjacent Forest Clearing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghi5000

Reaction score
Recently the forested area behind our house was cleared to make room for a new apartment complex. They left a line of trees on the border of the two properties, including a massive beast of a tree right behind my house. They cleared, and dug down a ways, right next to the tree (see attached pictures). How worried should I be about damage to the root system and risk to my house from the tree dying? The tree is definitely big and close enough to do some damage to the house and I'm worried about my daughter playing in the back yard.

Is this just something that i should definitely get an arborist out to assess or am I being over-cautious?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20180921_151126.jpg
    20180921_151126.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 20180921_151156.jpg
    20180921_151156.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 20190121_161416.jpg
    20190121_161416.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
When it comes to anyone in your family's safety, you can never be ''over cautious''

It's hard to tell from your photo, but it does not look like the dirt work went very deep. I can't see any significant root damage.

The best way to know is to have a local tree professional take a look. We can't give you a definitive answer based on the photos provided.

Here is a slightly better picture. I'll take a look today and see if I can tell how far down they dug. Might be tough with that fence there...

Would it make more sense to get an arborist out in the spring, when it's more obvious if the tree is healthy?

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20190121_162718.jpg
    20190121_162718.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
I can’t say for sure from the pics but that tree looks like an Ash and you have Emerald Ash Borer in Maryland. You might have a bigger problems than construction damage if it is an Ash.

I wouldn't want that tree anywhere near my house! It is now open for storms to tear it up. Tulip trees get tall and catch wind in a twisting motion causing them to snap. Depending on which side of the line it's on, I would see about getting it down before it comes down in a storm. thanks; sonny580

Latest posts

Back