Jotul 500 Oslo dreaming!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slackerjpt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been in the market for a wood burning stove for some time now. So the hurdles have been the wife, and money. Over the years of dreaming, I fell in love with Jotul. I love it's beauty, and the way it calms me when I get a chance to see one. Sounds odd I know!
I have gotten an estimate, but that was without someone coming out to see my set up. I plan on placing it on my hearth, into the fireplace a bit. One issue is the mantle above, they are saying i need 30 inches of clearance from top of stove to bottom of mantle. Can I mount a heat shield at the bottom of the mantle to satisfy code? This will eliminate the mantle issue. One other concern is: my dealer doesn't have the best reputation and reviews, however if I want a jotul, I'm going to have to suck it up and go with him. I'm in NJ, I welcome any referrals or recommendations. I'm attempting to upload a copy of the estimate. I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks everyone for any advice you can offer. I'm also open to other stoves, so fire away!
IMG_6551.JPG

Local cl used still $1600. I like em and would fit my space well but my pockets not jingling enough. I especially like the side loader. That would be worth a bit too!

I bought a 500 Oslo in November this year, it’s been a great stove to this point. Your cost is in line with what I paid all in. We didn’t need a deflector for our mantle, could try it and keep an eye on temps and install as needed. My house is 1900sqft, can maintain 68* in house overnight with 20* outside, but it does have to be packed to the gills to make it 6-8hrs

If a contractor is installing, then the permit should be pulled by the contractor, and all inspections scheduled and completed, including the sign off before final payment.
What is he charging you $75. for?
He is placing you in the position to do the foot work and take responsibility for his work before sign off. What if the final inspection fails?
When you say he doesn't have the best reputation, what specifically does that mean?
Ask the inspector who he might recommend.
Ask the installer for previous customers to contact.

Bought mine used 4 years ago and don’t regret it any way. I’ve been burning wood pretty much all life and never had a stove quite like this one . I top it up before I go to bed at 10 pm and get up at 6am . It’s still around 400° and down to big glowing chunks of burning joy. I fire it up on November and it goes 24/7 until March.
bb36a53281cfb5fe9146b9cb45fc2aa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my F500 installed 2 years ago and my dealer required having someone come out to verify the installation just so there were no issues before finalizing my order. I placed mine on my hearth and slightly inside my fireplace with the short leg kit similar to what you mentioned. My mantle is about 20" above the stove and I installed a heat shield beneath the mantel to satisfy the requirements although it was not explicitly clear exact placement of the heat shield and what satisfies code(?). So, I told the guy I'd install a heat shield and I had it mounted at the time of installation. I didn't get any questions when they came to install the stove and the shield works well.

My mantel gets lukewarm as you'd expect but never hot so the heat shield works pretty well. I have a heavy wood beam mantel that is built into a floor to ceiling brick fireplace so there was no possibility to remove the mantel. The shield was my only option. I paid about what you're paying +/- a couple options. I had a tough time finding any other stove short enough to fit partially inside my fireplace.

No idea of the popularity/availability of various brands in the US but herein France Jotul is not considered near the top of Div 1 brands there are better bangs for your buck The other problem that seems to have arisen of late is some brands stoves sold as wood burners are in fact multi fuel stoves so the burning settings /functions are not the same Google may be of help

I have had a model 500 for at least 10 years , maybe longer. Wonderful stove and it keeps our 1900 sq ft home very toasty. In < 20 degree weather it will take the wood, but nothing can beat sitting by the fire on a cold rainy day and watching the flames. Best sleeping pill I have ever seen! I would buy another one in a heartbeat. For here in central VA it is perfect.Depending upon how hard you are firing it, a shield on the mantle maybe necessary. I am sure there may be more efficient stoves out there, especially the ones with catalysts, but this stove is very simple and easy to use. I believe I paid over 1200 more than 10 years ago. W. Jones

If a contractor is installing, then the permit should be pulled by the contractor, and all inspections scheduled and completed, including the sign off before final payment.
What is he charging you $75. for?
He is placing you in the position to do the foot work and take responsibility for his work before sign off. What if the final inspection fails?
When you say he doesn't have the best reputation, what specifically does that mean?
Ask the inspector who he might recommend.
Ask the installer for previous customers to contact.
I'm going with another company, and got the stove at 20% off!

I got my F500 installed 2 years ago and my dealer required having someone come out to verify the installation just so there were no issues before finalizing my order. I placed mine on my hearth and slightly inside my fireplace with the short leg kit similar to what you mentioned. My mantle is about 20" above the stove and I installed a heat shield beneath the mantel to satisfy the requirements although it was not explicitly clear exact placement of the heat shield and what satisfies code(?). So, I told the guy I'd install a heat shield and I had it mounted at the time of installation. I didn't get any questions when they came to install the stove and the shield works well.

My mantel gets lukewarm as you'd expect but never hot so the heat shield works pretty well. I have a heavy wood beam mantel that is built into a floor to ceiling brick fireplace so there was no possibility to remove the mantel. The shield was my only option. I paid about what you're paying +/- a couple options. I had a tough time finding any other stove short enough to fit partially inside my fireplace.
According to the installers, if the mantle is combustible, it must be 30 inches from top of stove to bottom of mantle. A heat shield buys you 30% so I would still need to raise it up approximately 6 inches, or replace it with blue stone or similar.
How are you enjoying the stove so far, any advice?

Is
Bought mine used 4 years ago and don’t regret it any way. I’ve been burning wood pretty much all life and never had a stove quite like this one . I top it up before I go to bed at 10 pm and get up at 6am . It’s still around 400° and down to big glowing chunks of burning joy. I fire it up on November and it goes 24/7 until March.
bb36a53281cfb5fe9146b9cb45fc2aa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that green?

According to the installers, if the mantle is combustible, it must be 30 inches from top of stove to bottom of mantle. A heat shield buys you 30% so I would still need to raise it up approximately 6 inches, or replace it with blue stone or similar.
How are you enjoying the stove so far, any advice?

I love the stove and would buy again. It heats my house well and the side loading door and 24" capacity are 2 key features that sold me. It's also nice and easy to clean out. And of course, it puts out a ton of heat and has good burn times.

You guys shopping for and buying $5,000 wood stoves amaze me. We could do just the opposite. Here's a red neck in Arkansas who did just that:
Redneck ArkansasWoodStove.JPG
He might have $20 in it. Yes, it might last at most two years, but then $20 buys another. Surprising heat and I imagine it might leak less than many home-made barrel stoves that are out there.

You guys shopping for and buying $5,000 wood stoves amaze me. We could do just the opposite. Here's a red neck in Arkansas who did just that:
View attachment 698991
He might have $20 in it. Yes, it might last at most two years, but then $20 buys another. Surprising heat and I imagine it might leak less than many home-made barrel stoves that are out there.
Im not too sure that would heat my 2000 s.f. house very well or have the extended burn times that my $1200 (in 1999 or 2000) Pacific Energy Super 27 has.

Back