Dominant wiseco piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbruin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gonna open up my trusty old 2171 Johnny and go over the old gal. Was wondering if the dominant piston is for real, as in is it worth the $110 for what it is. I would like to woods port it to, and see what I have been missing for the last 12 years I've ran it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gonna open up my trusty old 2171 Johnny and go over the old gal. Was wondering if the dominant piston is for real, as in is it worth the $110 for what it is. I would like to woods port it to, and see what I have been missing for the last 12 years I've ran it.

@Definitive Dave has designed pistons through wiseco, also. Maybe he can shed some insight as to their effectiveness

If Dave's is better than that's the route I would wanna go. If I cannot get one of Dave's than I would definately grab your dominant piston....

They’re ok if you want a drop in piston for compression increase and don’t want to stretch the transfers around on one side. They’re not better than a base and chamber cut flat top. I used a half dozen and they do work but they’re spendy just like Dave’s. Both have their purposes depending on what you want out of the saw.

What I want is to liven it up without being undependable. So your saying delete the base gasket, port and do the transfers and it will be just as good if not better?

What I want is to liven it up without being undependable. So your saying delete the base gasket, port and do the transfers and it will be just as good if not better?

Imo, it'll be better ported with a flat top piston. If you get the pop up version, part of the pop up will have to be ground off if you plan on having the base cut so it'll clear the spark plug. So it all depends on what your plans are

I used one and with just setting squish cutting the base it cleared the plug no problem and made 185 lbs of compression. Another I cut .010” and it made 195. Any of those takes more warmup time than the meteor or OEM pistons.

There may possibly be different heights of the pop-ups that they offer, or have offered. I'm not sure of that. But on the one in question on a 2071 jonsered, the pop-up will definitely hit the spark plug if the chamber is cut .030
You didn't mention that you used a pop-up piston in a cylinder with the chamber cut. That's an entirely different ballgame.

Hi, this is Bill from Dominant. We appreciate your comments as they help us make better products. We now have two pistons - both made by Wiseco - the version 4 of the 372xp piston - which will be out in March (finally) and the MS460 piston. We've got some other products up our sleeve as well. We are also looking for saw builders that would like to stock our products through the Dominant Premier installer program. You can get in touch via [email protected] - thanks!

Imo, it'll be better ported with a flat top piston. If you get the pop up version, part of the pop up will have to be ground off if you plan on having the base cut so it'll clear the spark plug. So it all depends on what your plans are
Why not source a racing sparkplug that doesn't project very far into the combustion chamber ?

Latest posts

Back