MY FIRST SAW! WHAT WAS YOURS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First saw was a Homelite C-52, paid $35 for it used it for a few years til I got a MS290 and then I sold it. Wish I still had it, it was before I had CAD.
BEPLKdv.jpg
MzIuyz2.jpg
qJwceUn.jpg

First saw Mac-335 was just given to me years ago when needed to cut some logs. Little thing hung about and never skipped a beat until we shifted it when we started the new company. Since then countless saws have come and gone. Favourites being MS260 346XP MS150T 038AV

Attachments

• 70B2B862-3D6F-4CC5-B9A4-1CEB4A1125A3.jpeg
    70B2B862-3D6F-4CC5-B9A4-1CEB4A1125A3.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 12
McCulloch Mac Cat 18” - which was sooo much smoother than the McCulloch Eager Beavers I had run back then. I really loved that saw.

Tiny little dull craftsman electric with a long extension cord. Pollarded my pops fruitless mulberry since a way too young age. Then 136 husky was first 2stroke . I miss that saw, birddogsrule, I too run the sweet 562xp now, mostly.

actually, my first saw was also a Craftsman electric saw purchased new at Sears some 40 years ago! I still have it! what a chain! jumped all over the place. consequently, it sat mostly unused... til I ended up with a small craftsman 2.3 chain saw. used it a bit. recently decided to rethink my electric saw. ended up changing out the chain to a stihl 54 link 3/8th pico... and WOW!

now it cuts right well, just like a big dawg!, right along with my Echo CS 271-T!! I really like it now. still a bit of a novelty, but also an effective sawing tool. I plan to use it next day or so on some scrounge I picked up today.

if you got a moment, check it out!:
P7040016.JPG P7040017.JPG P7040018.JPG P7040019.JPG
and always starts right up first pull...

of the trigger! lol ;)

actually, my first saw was also a Craftsman electric saw purchased new at Sears some 40 years ago! what a chain! jumped all over the place. consequently, it sat mostly unused... til I ended up with a small craftsman 2.3 chain saw. used it a bit. recently decided to rethink my electric saw. ended up changing out the chain to a stihl 54 link 3/8th pico... and WOW!

now it cuts right well, just like a big dawg!, right along with my Echo CS 271-T!! I really like it now. still a bit of a novelty, but also an effective sawing tool. I plan to use it next day or so on some scrounge I picked up today.

if you got a moment, check it out!:
View attachment 716379 View attachment 716380 View attachment 716381 View attachment 716382
and always starts right up first pull...

of the trigger! lol ;)
So when ya gonna "Cut the cord"??

My first saw I actually cut with... 032 av. Not sure the year, no chain break. It chews some wood though. I'm sure it's been rebuiltt. Heavy old girl though.

Attachments

• 1550608720057-210265804.jpg
    1550608720057-210265804.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 22
Well I'd like to put my 2 cents on with my 1st saw. It was a early 1990's Home Depot special set,
A McCulloch 3216 chainsaw (Eager Beaver) and the matching string trimmer.
I sold the saw to my boss after I did a complete "restore" but still have the trimmer.

I got my first saw for Christmas when I was 10 or 11 years old. It was a typical Poulan XXV. I had a lot of fun with it and it never gave me any issues.

First saw was a Stihl 029, took down about a dozen Chinese Elms with it and took it camping a couple of times, traded it in for what I paid for it on a 036 that I still have today. Just picked up a new Husky 372xp today and all I can say is the Husky better impress me because I still like the feel of the 036 better.

The 036 cant have 10 hours on it since I bought it (probably closer to 5 hours), heck I ran a little husky 41 that did just about anything that I needed, but I did treat the 41 like it was a bigger saw and it took it.

Untitled-2.jpg

Crimey, can't believe I never saw this thread. I've got no idea what "my" first saw was, but, I probably still have it. I do remember what the first saw I ran was. My Dad had gotten into an argument with his partner. He already had a brand new Chevy C30 with a 12' chipper box, and a brand new Asplundh 16" chipper. He also had the MD Tree Expert License. But, all the saws were at the shop. The only saw on his truck was his personal climbing saw, an XL101. I got home from school at noon. He said, "Jump in the truck and give me a hand for a couple hours". On the way to the job he stopped at Calentonio's saw shop and bought a brand new Homeilite Supere 1050. It came with 2 bars, a 24 and a 36. He put the 24 on for me. We got to the job and it was the biggest Linden tree I had ever seen. I think my back, hips, and shoulders still hurt from that saw. But, it is my favorite saw, and I do still have it.
4laqa2f.jpg

Here's another one I bought last year for $150, runs great.
oMvl9JB.jpg

And here's another one I bought a couple weeks ago for $40. The one on the left.
Sho2nnu.jpg

I do like old Homelites.
FMFniqF.jpg

Back