New saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350rancher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought another saw which i really dont need but paid only $ 55 dollars on ebay , saw was recondition saw is a poulan pr1842, wastnt expecting much and saw did run alittle rough but it looked like new,had 2 adjust carb and spark plug gap was off , this poulan saw actually runs very good for a $55 dollar saw , did get a archer full chisel chain 4 it. very surprised lol.

IMO the only difference between the Walmart specials and the homeowner specials sold by the big guys like husky and Stihl at a servicing dealer are the likelihood that a person actually tuned the saw. If you can do that yourself then they’re all pretty decent.

Photo671.jpg
IMO the only difference between the Walmart specials and the homeowner specials sold by the big guys like husky and Stihl at a servicing dealer are the likelihood that a person actually tuned the saw. If you can do that yourself then they’re all pretty decent.

streblerm agree the saw was probally returned because they couldnt start it .spark plug gap was way off. looked on the site were i bought it and its now sell n at $105 bucks lol , if i get a couple yrs out uf it alls good lol.

I bought one of those reconditioned poulans. It looked brand new but needed a bit of tuning to get it to run. I put a good chain on it and a muffler mod and used it for a while. I ended up giving it to my dad to replace his harbor freight homelite. He really likes it and says it does a great job. I didnt keep it because I was trying to buy another saw and didnt want the wife to notice the growing number of saws.

If you like that one try the PP5020. I have been using one for a few years and it flat out works great for a firewood saw. Had to adjust the carb on mine also. It was very very lean. I leave my Orange 441 in the garage! No harm in getting by cheap. That's the name of the game. More beer money:cheers:

yea i didnt expect much from that saw but its a great firewood saw. a bar and chain cost as much as i hav n it lol.

Years ago a guy gave me a non-running Craftsman 4218, and it is likely almost the same as yours. The only thing wrong with it was a loose spark plug and a broken pull cord that gave up when it failed to start with the loose plug. Imagine how many times it was yanked.

I seldom use the saw, but it has never given me any trouble:
Craftsman 4218.jpg

I have that same crafstman and a little green poulan both were free and I use them all the time. Parts are cheap and they are easy to work on so they get a lot abuse. Like things I wouldn't do with a more expensive saw. Accidently drop it or it ends up getting wet or the bar hits the ground whatever no big deal.

They are very reliable though.

I've got a 450 rancher that was on an auction site for parts. .004 spark plug gap. Ran so poorly it couldn't have cut anything.

I bought one of those reconditioned poulans. It looked brand new but needed a bit of tuning to get it to run. I put a good chain on it and a muffler mod and used it for a while. I ended up giving it to my dad to replace his harbor freight homelite. He really likes it and says it does a great job. I didnt keep it because I was trying to buy another saw and didnt want the wife to notice the growing number of saws.
You ain't quite right. Poulan saws, are as reliable as a hateful mother in law!

Just removed the plate and the sparkscreen from the poulan saw it does seem to run a bit better . didnt hav 2 do any carb adjustment yet, but it was cold out about 30 degrees . see what it runs like when weather warms up.

When I did a slight muffler mod it really woke that saw up. I opened the muffler up and removed the baffle but it was a pain to do.
did notice on the new poulan model pr4218 the muffler design was diffrent than the older version ,easy 2 see how removing the plate would make it breath easyier. no need 2 drill out the muffler imo.

The old mufflers were 2 pieces and came apart easily. The new have that lip that's crimped down all the way around and that's a real pain to open up and put back when you are done. I noticed an improvement without the plate and screen so I took it to the next level.

The old mufflers were 2 pieces and came apart easily. The new have that lip that's crimped down all the way around and that's a real pain to open up and put back when you are done. I noticed an improvement without the plate and screen so I took it to the next level.
yea the newer version of this saw seems 2 be closer 2 the entry level husky saws . they did make some improvements 2 this model i was told , so far this is a decent saw .

Latest posts

Back