• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
New in box. Basics already done, limited caps removed, re-installed and modified for full control, minor muffler mod, tested, carburetor set for optimum power (these are way too lean right out of the box), drained fuel/oil cleaned and ready to ship.

Great firewood saw, smooth/broad power curve, professional features, inboard clutch, replaceable chain drive sprocket, split case, bolt on P/C and ultra light for a 50cc saw.

Comes with 20" bar and chain, owners manual, Warranty card, etc. $275 plus shipping.

IMG_4512.JPG IMG_4509.JPG IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4511.JPG

Just joined the site today, not a lot of experience with chainsaws. I have an outdoor wood boiler, and am tired of the box store saw I've been trying to use. This may be what I'm looking for. Any idea on shipping cost to Bowling Green, Ky? What forms of payment do you take?

Just joined the site today, not a lot of experience with chainsaws. I have an outdoor wood boiler, and am tired of the box store saw I've been trying to use. This may be what I'm looking for. Any idea on shipping cost to Bowling Green, Ky? What forms of payment do you take?
Good seller, good solid firewood saw.

About $20-25 ship to KY, I'd need an address to get an exact quote but we have a commercial UPS account so get the best rate out there.

We take most major credit cards to the shop, Pay Pal, check or MO.

CS-490's are a great deal for a smaller saw with Professional features, split mag case and removable P/C, about a zillion times better than any of the "box store" clam shell stuff.....IMHO.

Highly unlikely one would have any P/C issues as long as you keep them in good tune and not running a bit lean like they are set up from the factory. I'm glad they have adjustable carburetors on them, and I'd push some of the smaller Stihl saws as well but a fixed jet carb just doesn't cut it for me......Cliff

Great reviews for this saw, with the exception of quite a few people disgruntled about denied warranty claims. As long as the mods don't invalidate the warranty, or its easy enough to undo them if a claim is needed, I'd like to talk to you about a purchase. Let me know how to contact you.

Buy it. You will not be sorry.

...let the CAD begin...

Thanks, Cliff, I'm out on it. Just bought a lightly used Rancher 460 with 20" bar locally. Hope that was good decision.

Decent price on a "lightly used" one.

Those are clam-shell, X-torq, and a lot of plastic. I'm not a fan, have ran several Husqvarna X-Torq models and not overly impressed with them anyplace.

The X-Torq deal means it's a strato-charged engine. Pretty sure RedMax came out with that deal first, then it started showing up in other line-ups......Cliff

Thanks for the input, I'll likely regret not getting your pre-tuned Echo. The guy said he'd take it back if it didn't work for me, and I'll be cutting firewood tomorrow, so we'll see.

Thanks for the input, I'll likely regret not getting your pre-tuned Echo. The guy said he'd take it back if it didn't work for me, and I'll be cutting firewood tomorrow, so we'll see.
I ran a friends 455 Rancher and it ran fine. For firewood duty it should be fine for you. Would a Pro saw be better...I say yes but that's also a lot more money. Run it and see how it is for you. For what you have into it you could probably make a couple bucks on CL if you flip it.

Agreed, it will do a fine job of cutting firewood. I ran a 455 Rancher one day cutting with a good friend shortly after he bought it. It got the job done and didn't seize up or toss any internals out on the ground. He did sell it and move up to a really nice 268XP that I purchased and rebuilt for him.....Cliff

This is a great site, with tons of expertise to be tapped. Wish I'd found it years ago.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate yall taking the time to share your knowledge and opinions.

I could share experience and opinions on my Poulan Pro, but somehow that doesn't seem needed here. It's actually pretty good for what it cost...still going to use that jewel for limbing (for now).

This is a great site, with tons of expertise to be tapped. Wish I'd found it years ago.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate yall taking the time to share your knowledge and opinions.

I could share experience and opinions on my Poulan Pro, but somehow that doesn't seem needed here. It's actually pretty good for what it cost...still going to use that jewel for limbing (for now).
Which Poulan is it?

Good question. Poulan Pro with a 16" bar, can't recall the model number, but it has a 40 cc engine. Runs good, and it's pretty tough considering what I've put it through. Also have a Craftsman 16" that was a POS from jump that's been collecting dust for years.

Back