390xp Chain Suggestions 32" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Vosters

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy hear. Amature wood cutter. I have (2) 346xp and an Echo 2511 and just purchased a new 390xp. I ordered a Sugihara 32" lightweight bar and I am wondering what will be my best type of chain to use. I've been reading and I'm confused on the different types. I will be using this saw for large trees only and stump cutting. I have full chisel on my 346s and really like it but not sure if that's best for stumps and large bar. Looking for suggestions. Skip tooth? Semi skip? Chisel? Semi-chisel? Thanks in advance!

Dig you to Jake...said like a pro.
--------------------------------------------------

Tyler I like you. No chain terminology social blunder. You have it down man. Although saying "full chisel " It's not a faux pas but it is a gate way expression that could lead to saying something stupid. Chisel 'works well' and so does skip. You nailed it all on the bottom of your post.

You know how I order a chain?

"I'll take a couple 36
1,14 or 1,15
"1,15"
preground?
"no"
what's a matter with you? you usually don't talk that much .
"I'm really full"
full of §hit..! now give me your money.

Hopefully you got fallers dogs with it? They would stick out 2"

I've had 2 ported 372 that were ported buy the same guy with 7T srockets.
Both freshly filed and sharpened and tuned the same by me.
one with skip. In softwood Pine.
At about 22"Diameter wood they crossed over.
So likely around 18" the skip was faster.
Skip is easier on the engine and 1/3 less teeth to file and 1/3 less file expense.

I only use chisel and clean with my axe if I have to. I may cut from the inside out at the worst parts if I can't clean it up and back bar the grit outwards and not in the cut. Stihl chain may be better and more forgiving.

I'll give you file size advice and tricks next post

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I will need to purchase at lease 2 chains. Semi-chisel for stumps and Chisel for everything else. Would you guys suggest skip(full skip) or semi skip for each? Keep in mind I don't really know all the correct terminology. Appreciate the help.

A lot of areas don't offer semi skip. I have never seen it in person.

Rule of thumb seems to be after 24" go to skip. 24" full comp (full house) is about equal in cutter count to 36" bar with skip. I personally have used full comp on a 28 lite bar for a certain job as it was lodgepole pine infested with beetles that get blocked limbed and burnt on the spot. Most of the wood is in the 12" to 20"range. it's faster in that size and smoother and lots of snow so the cutting is clean and the reach is nice when you can get more done without moving your feet. as it's deep snow

You are learning still so first perfect how to file properly. Skip is not only best for you, it's best for that application. The bigger the cut the less forgiving.

Wisconsin deciduous wood wants full comp. Stihl 33/36RS105 is what I run. I don’t know what guage your bar is but 33RS105 os .050 and 36RS105 is .063.

When I’m in softwood I like a good full skip, but hardwoods with skip is not smooth... By a damn sight. Since I’ve found myself here around and east of the Mississippi I’m not cutting a lot of softwoods, my bars I’m running are shorter and the trees are weird. But I remmember the first time I got into a big Hickory with a skip chain and a 32” bar on an 044... It bucked and kicked like a madman. Swapped for a 25 with full comp and it was a lot better. It took me around a year to recognize that I couldn’t drop my rakers as far either.

Semi skip is my favorite over 24”. I use it for milling and everything. Almost as smooth as full comp and a few less teeth to file.
Yeah I know you like your semi skip. Is that with square square? or square round? Skeans will use it on a 32" with a stock 562 with 'square' .
You can always adjust your filing and sharpening for bucking with chisel (round) but you lose the ability to do other things I find. like nipping brush cleanly and limbing as well borring .

This is where it makes square filing a whole different ball off wax

Those couple of saws built for me I mentioned above where not the saws you built for me. That was in 08. some of the first BB I had.
I was saying (gauged 30 thou with §hit hooks)
as I said the skip starting to be fastest at about 22" but it was always close. I guess it doesn't work like you would think according to the math. The skip stays close in the small dia, it's always way closer. You could never tell a difference in the rev, they always kept a steady harmonic, like a high pitch gurgle. They sounded like crap together. You want ear plugs and ear muffs.
A guy can sacrifice and back off his filing on a full comp but IDK how long it will hang. I say an 18" cant in pine, aggressively hooked with 30 thou and they are equal. Say 7.5 HP

Yeah I know you like your semi skip. Is that with square square? or square round? Skeans will use it on a 32" with a stock 562 with 'square' .
You can always adjust your filing and sharpening for bucking with chisel (round) but you lose the ability to do other things I find. like nipping brush cleanly and limbing as well borring .

This is where it makes square filing a whole different ball off wax

Those couple of saws built for me I mentioned above where not the saws you built for me. That was in 08. some of the first BB I had.
I was saying (gauged 30 thou with §hit hooks)
as I said the skip starting to be fastest at about 22" but it was always close. I guess it doesn't work like you would think according to the math. The skip stays close in the small dia, it's always way closer. You could never tell a difference in the rev, they always kept a steady harmonic, like a high pitch gurgle. They sounded like crap together. You want ear plugs and ear muffs.
A guy can sacrifice and back off his filing on a full comp but IDK how long it will hang. I say an 18" cant in pine, aggressively hooked with 30 thou and they are equal. Say 7.5 HP

Square filed or ground. I’ve not had any problems in little limbs with semi. Skip will sometimes grab and rip them off or right into the spikes and your legs with aggressive skip.

Hard wood full comp usually stays faster until there’s so many chips the kerf is full and can’t clear. Pine and gum will clog up the kerf quick and is faster with skip in medium sized logs.

I'm trying my best to follow all this and am getting a little confused. I currently use the pferd sharpener for my .325 chisel chain on my 346s and I would like to use the same style sharpener (except 13/64) for my 390. Can that type of sharpener be used for both chisel and semi?

Wisconsin deciduous wood wants full comp. Stihl 33/36RS105 is what I run. I don’t know what guage your bar is but 33RS105 os .050 and 36RS105 is .063.

When I’m in softwood I like a good full skip, but hardwoods with skip is not smooth... By a damn sight. Since I’ve found myself here around and east of the Mississippi I’m not cutting a lot of softwoods, my bars I’m running are shorter and the trees are weird. But I remmember the first time I got into a big Hickory with a skip chain and a 32” bar on an 044... It bucked and kicked like a madman. Swapped for a 25 with full comp and it was a lot better. It took me around a year to recognize that I couldn’t drop my rakers as far either.

I have a .063" bar. Is the 36RS105 a full comp chain? I am having trouble finding it online. I did go to the local Saw shop and all they had was Stihl full skip chisel chain. I bought a loop of it because I wanted something for the weekend, but my bar did not show up in the mail yet. I am thinking I am going to want a full comp semi chisel for stumps, but having a hard time finding that.

I have a .063" bar. Is the 36RS105 a full comp chain? I am having trouble finding it online. I did go to the local Saw shop and all they had was Stihl full skip chisel chain. I bought a loop of it because I wanted something for the weekend, but my bar did not show up in the mail yet. I am thinking I am going to want a full comp semi chisel for stumps, but having a hard time finding that.

36RS105 is full comp round chain. 36RSF105 will be the round skip chain. RSL is square ground chain and RSLF is square ground skip chain. Either way it should take 105 drivers. Stihl does not sell their stuff online.

Latest posts

Back