Echo CS-490 DEAD after 11.5 months?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed limiters a year ago and saw has been run hard, still tuned.

I sure prefer the round pleated air filter on my Stihl 461 over the Echo 490 air filter. How often are you finding it necessary to change the filter on the 490? There wouldn’t happen to be any other styles of filters that people have successfully modded onto the Echo 490 is there? Thanks.

I see no need in my conditions for pleated automotive style or flocked filters on a chainsaw.

I’ll take a suitable mesh anyday. No pleats, folds or crevices. As easy to clean as possible. Mesh filters last almost forever too.

Imo this chainsaw air cleaner thing is way out of hand for normal, typical low dust conditions. Manufacturers are providing fancy filters but not even creating a design with adequate sealing to the intake horn. Stoopid.

These are not dirt bikes (which operate is a completely different environment).

I see no need in my conditions for pleated automotive style or flocked filters on a chainsaw.

I’ll take a suitable mesh anyday. No pleats, folds or crevices. As easy to clean as possible. Mesh filters last almost forever too.

Imo this chainsaw air cleaner thing is way out of hand for normal, typical low dust conditions. Manufacturers are providing fancy filters but not even creating a design with adequate sealing to the intake horn. Stoopid.

These are not dirt bikes (which operate is a completely different environment).

Copy, thanks.
What I like about my Stihl pleated filter is that I can just knock out the chips etc., but the 490 filter has fine sawdust that has embedded itself into the filter material, making me wonder how much it is obstructing air flow :) Not an issue then?

I have found that a really light/thin coat of grease on the 490 filter to carb seat help keep out any fine dust.

Not arguing, just asking :)

It’s that flocked paper/cloth filter medium. Stuff gets stuck in it and it’s hard to get out.

And flocked filters are no good in frosty conditions.

A nice fine mesh is ideal for me.

It’s a plot to sell air filters I tell ya!

It’s that flocked paper/cloth filter medium. Stuff gets stuck in it and it’s hard to get out.

And flocked filters are no good in frosty conditions.

A nice fine mesh is ideal for me.

It’s a plot to sell air filters I tell ya!

haha... copy. how often do you replace them? every year?.. or how many hours on average? :)

I haven’t enough hours on any of my flocked filter saws to ever have replaced any of those. My 30 year old saws with mesh filters and mega hours are still on original filters. With care, they will last forever. My 420 is starting to get considerable hours (4-500??). It has a mesh filter that will last forever too. The several new 4300’s (makita’s 421) I’ve seen have flocked filters without the nice bale wire to hold them in place. Boo!

I imagine the flocked ones will eventually need replacing.

I haven’t enough hours on any of my flocked filter saws to ever have replaced any of those. My 30 year old saws with mesh filters and mega hours are still on original filters. With care, they will last forever. My 420 is starting to get considerable hours (4-500??). It has a mesh filter that will last forever too.

I imagine the flocked ones will eventually need replacing.

Thanks holycow. Good to know. Okay, so it shows I am just being anal about my stuff. I will just keep brushing it off and continue on. :) I sure do like this saw. Although that 501P sure has an allure... :)

When an air filter gets truly plugged engine performance will drop off dramatically.

A small amount of debris on an air filter generally increases filtering performance at the expense of airflow. Airflow is only a problem if it is inadequate.

When an air filter gets truly plugged engine performance will drop off dramatically.

A small amount of debris on an air filter generally increases filtering performance at the expense of airflow. Airflow is only a problem if it is inadequate.

Good point thanks. A bit of a side note here, bear with me...
The odd person (actually pretty normal..hehe) has told me over the years how their vehicle wouldn’t run or start and when they figured it out, their air filter was totally clogged. Well, because I try to maintain my stuff, I kinda rolled my eyes on hearing that... thinking they must be total dufusses. However, last summer, my UTV (side by side) was running awful and I thought oh, oh, maybe I need to check and set the valves. I started by installing a new properly gapped plug, gas filter etc. Then I looked at the air filter that I had been tapping out, and vacuuming. Could barely see any light through it so put in a new one. Yup, that’s all it was. I now replace that air filter on a regular basis. :)

The original flocked type filter that comes with the 490 is not my favorite.It cleans very good but has a very short life.The nylon mesh type of the cs501p is way better.I got my 490 a couple days ago,did all the recomented mods and was searching to get a couple spare filters.No chanche plus that they are very expensive.I finaly managed to ordered the red nylon mesh for the 501sx from my local dealer.Once i get them,i'll write back.

Copy, thanks.
What I like about my Stihl pleated filter is that I can just knock out the chips etc., but the 490 filter has fine sawdust that has embedded itself into the filter material, making me wonder how much it is obstructing air flow :) Not an issue then?

I have found that a really light/thin coat of grease on the 490 filter to carb seat help keep out any fine dust.

Not arguing, just asking :)
I take the filter apart, spray it with brake cleaner and then carefully blow the filter clean from the inside out. Reason I said carefully is one day the compressor was at full pressure and without thinking I hit the nozzle trigger very close to the filter and blew a hole thru it. My 400 saws have the auto type filter but the fit isn’t great, I put a fine bead of grease on top and bottoms when tightening them down.

Hi all,

Long time lurker who just joined. I'm not a professional, but do a fair amount of sawing mainly for firewood and storm cleanup around my property. Thanks for the add. I just got off the phone with my local small engine guy, and he gave me the bad news that my Echo Cs-490 has scored engine cylinders and is not worth fixing. Up until a month ago, I was singing this saws praises and planning on buying the 680 during the next dealer days.

Background:
Last October 30, we had a very bad windstorm and I used it as an excuse to buy a second saw (other is stihl MS270) so that we could have two people cutting. I bought it stock from Home Depot, and I've used the heck out of it for the better part of a year. I run pre-mix most of the time and mix echo oil with premium gas when I am burning through lots. It's probably had about 6-7 gallons of gas through it, and I am really good about keeping gas fresh and sta-bilzed. About a month ago, it started bogging down and stalling. I put the Echo tune up kit on it, but this did not resolve my issues. So, I took it to the local guy who informed me that the cylinders were scored.

Dealing with Echo:
I called echo corporate and they informed me that the issue was almost certainly bad gas, which wasn't covered. They then informed me that I would have to drive it to a dealership and pay $40 to get it diagnosed. At which point, it would probably be $40 to be told I was SOL. I had an honest conversation with the dealer, and he said that it was unlikely they'd be able to warranty it unless they found some obvious defect. I actually appreciate the dealer and think he is kind of in a tough spot in this situation. He did say that he'd apply the $40 to a new saw purchase if it cam e to that.

Yes, yes, the simplest solution is the right solution most the time, BUT...
Anything is possible, but I really don't think this is a case of bad/straight gas for me. I am very careful about which cans have what gas. I have only 1 single gallon can on my property for mixed gas, and the rest are 5 gallons for straight gas. I checked the saw, and it has mixed gas in it. I checked the 4 other 2 cycle engines on my property, some still have gas from the last mixed batch, and they all have mixed gas in them. None of my other engines are acting up, including an echo string trimmer. I've never lent this saw out and I am the only one who uses it. If they said the problem was that I've been running it too hard in stump, etc, I'd believe them. But, I don't believe I ran straight gas.

So...at this point, I am out $55 for the tune up kit and the local repair guys time. I am looking at spending another $40 to be likely told I am SOL by the dealer. Has anybody had any experience with this. The local guy said he used to be a warranty dealer for Echo, and he suggested I push for a "warranty modification."

The only silver lining is that I might be getting the MS391 sooner than expected.

Thanks,
I've been run my saws for 20 plus and I'm sick and tired of all these Stihl groupies b.s. I've seen just as many Stihls and Husks blow apart Echo is just as good as the others

Hello Again,
I am the original poster, and the update about my first warranty experience is on page 8 of this thread. I've been silent for a while on here, but here is my final update. Long story short, after receiving the repaired saw back in the winter and storing it until the summer, it failed in the exact same fashion(fine particulate ingestion) with less than a week on the rebuild. Since the rebuild was done at an authorized dealer, I can only assume the repair was done properly and the carb was tuned appropriately. This has been a huge frustration, expensive, put me out of a saw for the better part of year, and just generally a terrible experience with echo. I understand that any company can put out a bad unit, but the extent of the charades they put on to avoid an actual warranty and good customer service is what I really have to criticize Echo about. Well, I let my stubborn side come out, consulted with the state consumer board who said I likely could win a case, and barked up enough trees until I got to a regional echo person. Finally today, I got notice that I am receiving a check for $584.66, which is the original purchase price and the repair cost I paid. I won't call loyalty regained because I am only financially put back together, but I am very happy that there is a resolution I can live with.

My take aways:
1. I believe most people have few problems with echo products, but you're pretty much SOL if you need a warranty. The experience I had was straight ridiculous. Their warranty is a joke, they'll blame it on you from the beginning and before seeing the saw, and they will do everything to avoid paying. There was a point I almost just walked away from this mess, and I think that's what they bank on people doing. I don't believe the customer is always right, but if you know you are...be direct but calm, cite the applicable laws, and don't take no for an answer.
2. A lot of the technical talk on this page is too far in the weeds for me to comment on. But in my case, contrary to what more than a few people on here asserted, this was not a case of "my mistake," the gas I ran, or running the saw improperly tuned. The saw I had has some fundamental issue.
3. In the mean time, I needed to get another saw. I am now running a STIHL. Sorry echo, you could've kept me by treating me right the first time.

Thanks for all the thoughts and replies to this board. There is a lot of knowledge on here, and I really respect that.

The best

Sonny,

You are a trooper! I am very happy to hear that you got your money back. I have had bad service from a reputable dealer and I have bought all of my saws there. It is frustrating when they don’t know what they are doing, and/or sluff you off with a “it’s a privilege to shop here ok” tone.

The fact that you had to verbally talk legalese to get what you deserved is alarming, but IMO very very plausible given what I have experienced myself.
There are some very very good dealers out there, but there are also some very poor ones. I wish I lived near spike60’s shop :)

Glad you found a saw that is working, I hope that any customer service you may need will be better. I hope you were able to change dealers as well.

I would encourage you to post here if you have questions, the run of people here are actually very helpful most of the time. This thread may have given you a negative feeling for the crowd here, and if it did I assure you that there are people here who want to help you such as myself and many others...

Good luck!

Back