Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need more spruce;)
Oh boy.
Got a nice load of black locust in the stove right now mixed with some oak that was also dead standing :sweet:.
The stove is humming along at 625 and should hold that temp for a another hr(already been there for an hr), and the coals will keep it 350 til probably 7 or 8. I will drag them to the front and open the draft and watch the blue flames off them for an hr around 5 or 6 so it will stay around 450 and reduce the coals down, then I'll add a piece of wood on top to keep the temps up and reduce the coals more. After that I will remove the small coals and refill it for a fire that will need refilled again around 1am. It's supposed to be warmer tonight and tomorrow, but I want to stay on top of it in case. They pushed the colder air temps out to Tuesday/Wed which stinks because I had tree work I was going to do then :rare2:.
Hope all is well with you Nate.

Oh boy.
Got a nice load of black locust in the stove right now mixed with some oak that was also dead standing :sweet:.
The stove is humming along at 625 and should hold that temp for a another hr(already been there for an hr), and the coals will keep it 350 til probably 7 or 8. I will drag them to the front and open the draft and watch the blue flames off them for an hr around 5 or 6 so it will stay around 450 and reduce the coals down, then I'll add a piece of wood on top to keep the temps up and reduce the coals more. After that I will remove the small coals and refill it for a fire that will need refilled again around 1am. It's supposed to be warmer tonight and tomorrow, but I want to stay on top of it in case. They pushed the colder air temps out to Tuesday/Wed which stinks because I had tree work I was going to do then :rare2:.
Hope all is well with you Nate.
Sure glad I don’t have to deal with hard wood, sounds like way too much work:rolleyes:.

Thanks Brett, all is well. Could be much worse, found out had couple spots of cancer but was caught early and all is good, praise God!! I really don’t like going to the doc and normally don’t unless it’s really bad but so very thankful I did (with wife’s help) and got it taken care of before it got worse. So all my scrounge friends if you have concerns get it checked out. Really looking forward to another year of scrounging firewood!:) Stay warm my friends!

Sure glad I don’t have to deal with hard wood, sounds like way too much work:rolleyes:.

Thanks Brett, all is well. Could be much worse, found out had couple spots of cancer but was caught early and all is good, praise God!! I really don’t like going to the doc and normally don’t unless it’s really bad but so very thankful I did (with wife’s help) and got it taken care of before it got worse. So all my scrounge friends if you have concerns get it checked out. Really looking forward to another year of scrounging firewood!:) Stay warm my friends!
Yeah it's pretty heavy, unlike spruce :muscle:.
Stove is still kicking it at 600+, I may add a few sticks on top before I leave the house if there's room even though I don't like doing that in the middle of a burn cycle. How often do you have to refuel your stove, at least the wood is light :D.

Glad you caught that, praise God:bowdown:. I believe our wives help bring balance to our lives we need, mine has slowed me down a bit, and that's a good thing even though it didn't feel that way early on lol.
I'm not a fan of the doctor, but if it's not something I'm familiar with and it don't go away within a few days I'm going in, or I'm laying on the couch til it does go away :omg:. Looking forward to another yr with you around scrounging :clap:.

Yeah it's pretty heavy, unlike spruce :muscle:.
Stove is still kicking it at 600+, I may add a few sticks on top before I leave the house if there's room even though I don't like doing that in the middle of a burn cycle. How often do you have to refuel your stove, at least the wood is light :D.

Glad you caught that, praise God:bowdown:. I believe our wives help bring balance to our lives we need, mine has slowed me down a bit, and that's a good thing even though it didn't feel that way early on lol.
I'm not a fan of the doctor, but if it's not something I'm familiar with and it don't go away within a few days I'm going in, or I'm laying on the couch til it does go away :omg:. Looking forward to another yr with you around scrounging :clap:.
Yeah between being heavy, stinky, forever coals and such.. hard wood pffft:rolleyes:. I prolly wouldn’t turn it down if I had access to it though..;). I actually get the longest burn times out of the high elevation lodge pole pine I have been cutting, it’s pretty dense and when dry actually weighs about the same as red fir. Went 10 hrs yesterday and still had enough coals to get the reloaded splits going in my pacific energy stove that’s only rated for 6 hr burn time. But to keep it at 600* would only last about 4-5 hrs prolly.

Think I might have spoiled myself today working out of a heated cab rather than the open station tractor. My pop at lunch froze before I could finish it. 20190126_111959.jpg
The winch passed muster. That log was frozen into the pile and actually pulled my 7700 lb. truck until I stood on the brake pedal and it broke the ice loose.

Rode past all kinds of wood today. I may have even made chainsaw noises in my helmet... My daughter is used to it.
bc7b2af99e9ae3a5eec79a32b6704bdb.jpg
6012feb91d4dcfdcd17117519b77d21e.jpg
353b8264fca071a36038ad0bf0149848.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to help as is Mike and others in the thread, it sounded in the post below as though you wanted help?
Not really to into theory and all that, but I know what works and has helped me. Engineers and I always seem to bump heads as numbers on paper don't always fit into real world equations. .

My guess is that the warming effect of higher humidity in the house is apparent more than actual. Lower %RH means greater evaporative cooling of perspiration from the skin making it feel colder than it is and vice versa. We had a 42°C day this week where the humidity was only 7% and it actually didn't feel too bad - as long as you were in the shade and not moving around much.

Am told we are getting your heatwave here starting the next few days now. Typical - you steal our pavs, phar lap, crowded house, and give us heatwaves and try to return Russell Crowe.

Happy Aus Day anyway.

Thanks Kiwi! You have to hand it to the New Zealanders, they've always punched way above their weight, and ballsy too. At least we let you keep Dave Dobbyn.

The Cowfamily celebrated Australia Day by going on a day hike over at Mt Buffalo. For a change, it was only 35°C rather than 40°+, almost needed to layer up! Mt Buffalo is a high granite plateau with a peak of about 1700m but most of it is rolling terrain about 1350m. It is a remarkable place with huge granite outcrops and tall alpine ash forests.

Mt Buffalo Aust day 7.jpg

Mt Buffalo Aust day 3.jpg

Mt Buffalo Aust day 5.jpg

Mt Buffalo Aust day 9.jpg
Mt Buffalo Aust day 11.jpg
Who's game to cut this tree down?

Mt Buffalo Aust day 14.jpg

Mt Buffalo Aust day 10.jpg

The only downer for the day was when I came within a metre of stepping on a 2m brown snake, just didn't see it on the brown coloured track until it moved. Luckily, he wasn't aggro and sloped off under a boulder, so I didn't die. Still enough to scare 6 months (and 6 inches) growth out of you.

Sure, there was no scrounging, but it was a great day nevertheless.

:)

Nice little scrounge today, wild cherry and apple. I'm going to give a couple of my buddys the apple since they both like using it in there smokers. Heck I might even get a meal out of the deal :sweet:. I think I'm going to start bringing a wheel barrow with me after today, lot was so grown up I couldn't get the truck as close as I would like. IMG_20190126_122709.jpg

I'm trying to help as is Mike and others in the thread, it sounded in the post below as though you wanted help?
Not really to into theory and all that, but I know what works and has helped me. Engineers and I always seem to bump heads as numbers on paper don't always fit into real world equations. Usually when we work together the solution is somewhere in between though so one cannot live without the other.
Here's another study to consider, I think it's more inline with what I wanted to get across :reading:.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...r_humidity_on_effectiveness_of_heat_sink_work

I don't throw heat out, I use the coals to warm the furthest point from my stove, kinda like you were saying storing up the heat from AU and putting it in the basement, but a little different. Another way is with a water tank, there are whole heating/cooling systems that work off heat storage, mine is just a bucket of coals.
I need to go cut some trees, I'm sure once I start to sweat I will cool down :cold:.
How do you store buckets of coals in the house?

Split enough to fill the woodbox n had a variety of company here from 3 till 10pm. Wanted to do more but it was nice to have an excuse to walk away too. Got to meet one daughter's new B/F. The last one set the bar low... So this one will get a pass for today.

Thanks Kiwi! You have to hand it to the New Zealanders, they've always punched way above their weight, and ballsy too. At least we let you keep Dave Dobbyn.

The only downer for the day was when I came within a metre of stepping on a 2m brown snake, just didn't see it on the brown coloured track until it moved. Luckily, he wasn't aggro and sloped off under a boulder, so I didn't die. Still enough to scare 6 months (and 6 inches) growth out of you.

Sure, there was no scrounging, but it was a great day nevertheless.

:)

Yea...Nope. The snake is only the second most venomous in the world. I woulda needed to change my name to SheetMyBritches! Love the photos Cowboy!

Yeah between being heavy, stinky, forever coals and such.. hard wood pffft:rolleyes:. I prolly wouldn’t turn it down if I had access to it though..;). I actually get the longest burn times out of the high elevation lodge pole pine I have been cutting, it’s pretty dense and when dry actually weighs about the same as red fir. Went 10 hrs yesterday and still had enough coals to get the reloaded splits going in my pacific energy stove that’s only rated for 6 hr burn time. But to keep it at 600* would only last about 4-5 hrs prolly.
Some of that stuff has great BTUs :blob2:.
I burn for 98% of our heat here so when it's this cold(15 or lower for an extended time) I have to keep the stove pretty hot, I can go a long time and still have coals if I need to. I've got a PE alderlea T5 which is for 1200-2000 sqft and we have 1850 sqft so it has to work for it a good month out of the yr, the rest of the time it's pretty laid back. If the place was a bit better insulated it wouldn't be a problem and it will be as I continue to make upgrades here. I am on a waiting list at our library to get the thermal imaging camera and hope to make a nice plan of what projects to do next to net the most gains without having to be torn out too soon to do other upgrades.
Which model PE do you have and what size firebox.

How do you store buckets of coals in the house?
Not buckets, just one. It's a 3 or 4 gallon with a lid.
^^^^^^^^^^ this
It's more than just a feeling as I could not heat this place with the stove well the first couple yrs, no feeling of heat and no temp on the thermostat. I removed a transom from between the room the stove is in(living room) and the family room, the temp was 8 degrees different on either side of the transom about a ft from the ceiling, now it's open to the ceiling and there is no temp difference. It was better, then I put a 6" radon fan going to out garden tub area in the master bdrm suite that draws warm air from the family room, even better heat especially in the master bdrm area but the temps in the hall went down. Then we got a humidifier because we were having problems with the dry air, that's when we saw the change of actual temp. As I was saying earlier we have pretty hard water and the humidifier went bad because of this, then I had a heck of a time heating the place again. I had forgotten about the humidity, but we got another humidifier and I remembered it helped, the next time it died I started using a pot on the wood stove and on the stove when needed.
I know the humidity will make it feel warmer, but I have a very hard time getting the temps up here without the humidity.
Have you tried it?

Latest posts

Back