Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed mine around Christmas. Yeah, not cheap, but their warranty stomps everyone else's, plus I still haven't seen any posts anywhere of anyone dissatisfied with them. If you fill it to the top you have plenty of coals 12 hours later and it's given off very even heat for the whole time.

My wood is pretty valuable the way I see it. I can sell it for $150/face cord delivered, so the difference in efficiency between the Kuuma and pretty much everyone else made them stand out. I'm planning on being in this house for the next 25 years at least, so the difference in price to get the increased efficiency seemed like a no brainier to me.

Do you know anyone who has them.
I figure if they will work there they will work here.
From what I see the two biggest things are the initial setup and then having properly seasoned wood.

Actually Brett, I was kinda surprised to hear Dale, their sales guy, say 18-28% is the target range for moisture content. So, no you shouldn't burn green wood, but it's not like you've got to get it all down to 15% either.

Want to try a Woodstock Ideal Steel in the kitchen.

1) Steel will cool off and heat up fast.
2) Stove can be shut down when warmer or have a house full of people.
3) Cook Top
4) Longer more efficient burns.
5) I like the appearance vs all the ones that look the same as a corn stove. Basically most budget stoves look alike and some of the higher priced ones do too
6) Reviews of customer service are second to none.
7) It's not a Blaze King.

Only real cons that I really want a side loader. But don't want soapstone or cast particularly.

We'll see by next fall. Could change plans and buy something used or from northern, FF, Menards, TC ECT...

Do you know anyone who has them.
I figure if they will work there they will work here.
From what I see the two biggest things are the initial setup and then having properly seasoned wood.

Helped carry one inside :) I had never heard of them until I was free labor my Uncles buddy. We went and picked it up and I was part of the muscle package. I haven't been up north this winter to talk to him but last time I was there he was bragging it up and down. Smaller house, guessing 16-1700 sq ft, and he used it to an add on to his oil furnace. He probably still has the 100 gallons he put in a couple years ago as I am guessing the oil furnace hasn't ran. He had a menards one before that he was stoking every 4-5 hours. He can make last call with this one.

Like Ryan said they don't push you to have 12% wood. His number of 28% sounds about like I can remember. Getting wood to 20% ain't that hard. Don't remember the fellas names we talked to but they were very nice and knowledgeable. I was very impressed with the quality.

I swapped gloves 3 2x's today in 5 hours. Tried snowmobile gloves 2nd kept the hands warn but absolutely sucked on the hydraulic levers.

Smartest thing I did before I left powersports was buy a couple closeout coats and gloves. Don't know if they are any special brand but they are warm and I can wick the flipper on the sled or pull a choke lever out on a saw without the fingers getting in the way. Hate those big thick fingers.

Actually Brett, I was kinda surprised to hear Dale, their sales guy, say 18-28% is the target range for moisture content. So, no you shouldn't burn green wood, but it's not like you've got to get it all down to 15% either.
That's real easy to hit, even much of the stuff you buy on Craigslist is that low :laugh:.
Does it seem to help it run better on dryer wood.
Helped carry one inside :) I had never heard of them until I was free labor my Uncles buddy. We went and picked it up and I was part of the muscle package. I haven't been up north this winter to talk to him but last time I was there he was bragging it up and down. Smaller house, guessing 16-1700 sq ft, and he used it to an add on to his oil furnace. He probably still has the 100 gallons he put in a couple years ago as I am guessing the oil furnace hasn't ran. He had a menards one before that he was stoking every 4-5 hours. He can make last call with this one.

Like Ryan said they don't push you to have 12% wood. His number of 28% sounds about like I can remember. Getting wood to 20% ain't that hard. Don't remember the fellas names we talked to but they were very nice and knowledgeable. I was very impressed with the quality.
That sounds good, I'll keep them on my list, if not I wouldn't have a list lol. That stove of Jeffs looked pretty good to though:blob2:.
I wonder how many cords guys are burning a yr with these.

Want to try a Woodstock Ideal Steel in the kitchen.

1) Steel will cool off and heat up fast.
2) Stove can be shut down when warmer or have a house full of people.
3) Cook Top
4) Longer more efficient burns.
5) I like the appearance vs all the ones that look the same as a corn stove. Basically most budget stoves look alike and some of the higher priced ones do too
6) Reviews of customer service are second to none.
7) It's not a Blaze King.

Only real cons that I really want a side loader. But don't want soapstone or cast particularly.

We'll see by next fall. Could change plans and buy something used or from northern, FF, Menards, TC ECT...
Is it gas/wood or what, how do you shut it down for company.
Also what do you mean in #7 it's not a blaze king.
I swapped gloves 3 2x's today in 5 hours. Tried snowmobile gloves 2nd kept the hands warn but absolutely sucked on the hydraulic levers.
I wasn't able to just swap them out, I had to go in for a bit. The real cold weather gloves I've had for the last 6-7 years kicked butt but they are worn out and gone now, sure wouldn't mind getting something like those. I looked after I busted through them and couldn't find any, I don't even know what they were now, but if I saw them I'd know.
I need to run out now and grab some scrounged wood, I'm almost out and everyone is sleeping so I can get more done :clap:.

Most everything in the state is shut down today which is kind of laughable as I’m in the coldest area of the state and it’s only -18 with light winds.

Had one of those “they walk amongst us” encounters yesterday. Fortunately for the idiot involved, nobody was harmed...

Was traveling for work along a busy divided highway and come upon multiple cars pulled over. There’s a coyote up on the bank and it’s clearly not doing well. Upon getting closer you can see it’s dragging a snare from around its neck.

There are two people out of their cars heading into the ditch towards it. One of them was an old lady with a standard poodle on a leash!!!!!! I don’t know what would go through someone’s mind to try to want to approach a wounded predator, let alone bring your flipping dog towards it!!!

I could see this train wreck happening in slow motion. But the roads were icy and there were vehicles behind me so I couldn’t stop and yell at these idiots.

I called 911 and explained the situation. They called me back and said fortunately the coyote mustered the strength to run away which saved the idiot lady and her dog from being torn to shreds. This yote has been reported multiple times and they are trying to put it down but haven’t caught up to it yet.

That's real easy to hit, even much of the stuff you buy on Craigslist is that low :laugh:.
Does it seem to help it run better on dryer wood.

To be honest, I'm not using a meter on anything. I had one before I got the Kuuma but it's battery is dead. Then the furnace came with one, which i used a couple of times and then the battery died. Must've left it on or something. Anyway, to be honest I can't tell a lick of difference with any load I put in it. Never see anything but water vapor coming out of the chimney, well that or just some heat waves. Dale did say that the combustible liquids in wood are desirable, at least to some extent, in their furnace. Like I said, it was pretty surprising to hear.

Is it gas/wood or what, how do you shut it down for company.
Also what do you mean in #7 it's not a blaze king.
Wood hybrid uses reburn tube and a cat. You can bypass that and essentially lower the temp quickly as well as closing the draft. Steel will cool faster than stone or cast. (Might burn out quicker too but trade offs). 3 cu ft fire box is a plus too.

BK is about the only competition efficiency wise and I'm just tired of hearing how users put 3 popsicle sticks in 3 days ago and still have a lump of burning coal. The cost and appearance are the biggest con's imo.

That sounds good, I'll keep them on my list, if not I wouldn't have a list lol. That stove of Jeffs looked pretty good to though:blob2:.
I wonder how many cords guys are burning a yr with these.

No idea but I will ask next time I talk to my uncle. Jeff, his buddy, burns lots of softer wood. Pine, popple, aspen, etc. I think originally his land was logged off and replanted. Although I heard he got into my tamarack stash that I have been too lazy to drive the 5 hours to get. He probably figured since I was neglecting it he would check the readiness of it. Probably be none left by the time I get to it.

Thanks Kiwi! You have to hand it to the New Zealanders, they've always punched way above their weight, and ballsy too. At least we let you keep Dave Dobbyn.

The Cowfamily celebrated Australia Day by going on a day hike over at Mt Buffalo. For a change, it was only 35°C rather than 40°+, almost needed to layer up! Mt Buffalo is a high granite plateau with a peak of about 1700m but most of it is rolling terrain about 1350m. It is a remarkable place with huge granite outcrops and tall alpine ash forests.

View attachment 699618

View attachment 699615

View attachment 699619

View attachment 699620
View attachment 699621
Who's game to cut this tree down?

View attachment 699623

View attachment 699624

The only downer for the day was when I came within a metre of stepping on a 2m brown snake, just didn't see it on the brown coloured track until it moved. Luckily, he wasn't aggro and sloped off under a boulder, so I didn't die. Still enough to scare 6 months (and 6 inches) growth out of you.

Sure, there was no scrounging, but it was a great day nevertheless.

:)

@Cowboy254 Regarding the second to last picture where you asked about who was up to cutting it down, I don't see any problems cutting it. However, clearing an escape route might be a bit harder:chainsaw::rock2::laughing:

To be honest, I'm not using a meter on anything. I had one before I got the Kuuma but it's battery is dead. Then the furnace came with one, which i used a couple of times and then the battery died. Must've left it on or something. Anyway, to be honest I can't tell a lick of difference with any load I put in it. Never see anything but water vapor coming out of the chimney, well that or just some heat waves. Dale did say that the combustible liquids in wood are desirable, at least to some extent, in their furnace. Like I said, it was pretty surprising to hear.
Thanks for the info.
Is it as simple to operate as toss it in and walk away once it's set up right.
Anyone tried to make one of these? I've got a big 3 phase Mig welder Lol!
The owner of that business did lol.
There are various videos linked on their site, it's kinda like saying I think I can build a better tire, I may be able too, but at what cost. Spending thousands of dollars doing it might decrease the savings a little, but you may also be the next new business owner, go big or go home :lol:.
No idea but I will ask next time I talk to my uncle. Jeff, his buddy, burns lots of softer wood. Pine, popple, aspen, etc. I think originally his land was logged off and replanted. Although I heard he got into my tamarack stash that I have been too lazy to drive the 5 hours to get. He probably figured since I was neglecting it he would check the readiness of it. Probably be none left by the time I get to it.
Great info, I probably would burn mostly hardwood, but from what I've seen of the controls and whatnot they could control the burn on whatever you toss in it.

Back