Echo cs 800 vs ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael W Forbes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know these saws are not identical CCS but I was curious if anyone has run both i have the 461 but was curious if the 800p was much better. And how much weight difference is between them.

I got the chance to run the 461 for several hours this past Saturday helping my brother get a few logs.....that's a stout saw.

I brought my Modded CS490 and was quickly told to leave it in the truck cause we're cutting 30" stuff. Lol

My Echo CS-670 has no trouble cutting 30" stuff with a 32" bar on board. My friend's Echo CS-800 that I tuned up last summer would never have breathed hard with 30" stuff. That thing is a brute. I guess it might be hard to find big Echo saws in Virginia. :rolleyes:

Actually we have quite a few Echo dealers in my rural part.....and my preferred saw.
But at my age prefer not to exceed 50cc.

I've had both, still have a 461. I guess I had the CS8000 not 800p. Regardless the 461 is a better saw. Handles longer bars better. The 8000 was nothing to sneeze at though and if its all I had I would be happy.

I figure I'd take either one if the price was right.
But thinkin on it, only thing I'd ever use a saw that big for is if I started milling. And then I'd want something bigger.
So I guess neither one?

I've owned the cs800 for about 6 months now. It's an ok saw but it hasn't really blown my mind like my other echo saws. I only have a 27" bar for it and it handles that just fine...can't wait to get a 36" bar for it.

The 800 is heavy and sturdy. If you plan on hitting your saw with logs, it will probably break the logs. It has a lot of torque but not a high rpm, so lower chain speed. It's not a speed cutter for that reason. I love echo, but if you have the money for it, get the 461.

echo could have done better for their 80cc range, cs800 is a very stout saw and probably will outlast its competitor in that range but thats not everyones after when buying. they should build old school torque with rpm monsters, cs1201 is the only survivor for that matter. hope echo enters 90cc range as a competitor with a balanced saw

Have a friend of a friend that has the Echo 800 not for sure the exact model. He brought it out to the farm one day as he was going to pickup up some elm logs I was giving him. I was bucking some 36 inch dia locust with the skid loader and my Stihl 461 with a 24 inch bar. He got out his Echo 800 and it had a 24 inch bar also. I was running the skid loader and another friend was running my 461. The guy started the Echo and handed it to the friend of mind that was bucking. He bucked several logs with the Echo and then handed it back to him and says I just use the 461. Later I ran the Echo for a bit it was a good solid running saw but I wouldn't trade my 461 for it.

echo could have done better for their 80cc range, cs800 is a very stout saw and probably will outlast its competitor in that range but thats not everyones after when buying. they should build old school torque with rpm monsters, cs1201 is the only survivor for that matter. hope echo enters 90cc range as a competitor with a balanced saw
I hope echo updates the 80cc possibly 90cc saw too. I want a cs 1201 but for me the price just isnt worth it now. But as for my cs 800p i cant wait to get a 36 inch b/c and bury it in some large wood

Back